View Poll Results: How much do you think you save using Active Captain each year?
>$1,000 per year 3 7.14%
Between $500 and $1,000 per year 5 11.90%
Between $100 and $500 per year 8 19.05%
<$100 per year 2 4.76%
I don't save any money 18 42.86%
It's a conspiracy that increases my slip rent 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
How much money does Active Captain save you each year?

With the on going discussion about Active Captain on another thread, I thought it might be interesting to see what people think they save using it. Clearly some of the information can be sourced elsewhere, but here would be some areas that it might help you save money:
Anchorages and free docks as opposed to always staying in the marina
Fuel pricing comparison
Transient dockage pricing
Listing of boatyards when away from home for emergency services

While it varies from year to year, I'm sure my savings are in the hundreds of dollars per year.

Ted

Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
No money. Not big in my area. I tried. I was an early adopter and put in reviews years ago. Now I can log in and read my own reviews. 😄

Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
No money here, but then we're trapped above the first dam on the Missouri River with only two marinas on the body of water, so not much need for A/C. On the other hand in a few days we're leaving for a nine day charter in the Straits of Georgia and Juan de Fuca. I dug out my MarinaLife membership and they have a ton of marina and fuel discounts in the Vancouver/Nanaimo area. I was really surprised. I got that MarinaLife membership last summer just for our run from Newport to Albany and then thought I'd let it expire, but I renewed just to keep the magazine coming really. It never occurred to me that it would be useful for our annual charters too, but it looks like we'll save a pile of money as we marina-hop in BC.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
It doesn't save me any money, but I still like it and find it very useful. The review are good, as is the general info about anchorages, marinas, inlet info, etc. I almost never use printed cruising guides anymore.

Fuel pricing and dockage rates I find to be completely useless. They are far enough out of date frequently enough that I completely ignore them. I know Jeff has been making efforts to improve this, but I have mentally written it off - at least for now.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
It hasn't saved me any money, but the reviews have steered me away from anchorages that I may have visited and been unsatisfied with in some respect, had I not read them.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Not a penny. Active Captain actually places a cost burden on non-users who in effect, are forced to subsidize the business without their consent. Advertising spent with Active Captain is paid for by end users...the boating public. Likewise if marinas are engaged with Active Captain, their expenditures are passed along to the end user...the boater.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Not a penny. Active Captain actually places a cost burden on non-users who in effect, are forced to subsidize the business without their consent. Advertising spent with Active Captain is paid for by end users...the boating public. Likewise if marinas are engaged with Active Captain, their expenditures are passed along to the end user...the boater.
Hmmm...

Technically you are correct in a way, since any money a marina for example pays to AC is money they need to recover from their customers.

But... You could say the same thing about any advertising, and AC is in fact an advertising media. Money paid out in advertising is a business expense that needs to be recovered.

But, from a business standpoint your assumption that if the marina didn't advertise (via AC or other venues) they would charge less is incorrect. The price a business charges for an item or service is what customers are willing to pay, regardless to some extent the cost of the item or service.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 08-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It hasn't saved me a dime. It seems there's not much of a following for it here on the west coast. Maybe it's more popular on the east coast.

Years ago I posted a few reports and reviews but seldom saw updates that were useful. Like TT, I've written it off as a tool for my purposes. I prefer the advise from my imaginary friends here on TF.

YMMV.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Saves me a lot of time having a lot of boating info together where I can use it quickly.

I like that it will warn me of hazards as I drone along the ICW....that alone could equate to hundreds of dollars saved in time to repairs.

I have also gone to nice marinas, that are less expensive and more fun because where they are than I would have with my written guides...based on current and detailed descriptions of how to navigate there.

I fail to see how this is any different than any other waterway guide , electronic or paper......only 100 times better and free to me.

So talking to my marina manager...he agrees that it it worth 10X most other advertising...as more people here are using it than anything else.

My slip costs have not gone up..in fact they have gone down since Active Captain has come out.

I can't say there is a direct connection...anymore than someone can say it has driven UP costs.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
It has not saved me any money. It has enriched my boating experience however by being able to get information about places that I might wish to visit. The real value for me personally with AC has been the reviews. I have written reviews and added comments about areas in Puget Sound as a way of passing on what I hope is useful information to fellow boaters.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I don't know that it has saved me money, I do use it a lot for trip planning, using the charts , satellite pictures and reviews of anchorages and marinas.
I think it is a very useful resource.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
It's probably cost me money based on all the Defender stuff I've bought, but then how much would that gear have cost me absent the AC discount?

I find the notion that non-users subsidize AC through higher advertising costs absurd. Companies budget for ads each year and spend that money where they think it'll do them the most good. Which member of the Olympic basketball team do you blame for the cost of your Nikes?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Don't feel like it saves me anything....
We have been happy w reviews & others opinions.
Lately had an issue as the free app used on tablet won't show updated data one whole tile is now not accessible. AC says use another app...but I see others are now not free...at least what I've been able to research while cruising. Sorry I updated data at least before I had access to prior reviews now while map is gone.
What app are others using on Android tablets/ phones to access AC?
Any suggestions re free apps?
We cruise once / summer find it helpful but not worth much if I have to pay for access.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
"I find the notion that non-users subsidize AC through higher advertising costs absurd. Companies budget for ads each year and spend that money where they think it'll do them the most good."
-----------

Exactly!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou

It saved me some money on my trip from FL to Texas. Got a deal on some diesel I think. Saved a bit on some marinas. Not a huge amount.

It was more of a convenience thing for me, being able to look everything up in one easy format. I used it constantly because I was a new boater and didn't know squat (still don't!). It was so nice to have the names of all the bridges as you came up to them so I could call them, and the anchorage info was a lifesaver for me since I would't know a good spot from a certain death hole. 😂
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

I tried it a couple times but echo the other left coasters. The problem here really is the lack of an inter coastal waterway. West coasters "IF THEY" cruise at all tend to spoke and hub cruise meaning essentially to swap marinas and cruise from there. Most don't do that though.

Looked like a great tool for east coasters who seem to travel in larger herds in predominantly calmer waters than us out west.

I read Fly and Spy's reviews too. Sorry guys but they didn't help much

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Like TT, I've written it off as a tool for my purposes.
Just to clarify, the ONLY aspect of AC that I have written off is the fuel and dockage pricing info. That aside, I use AC all the time and find it indispensable.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Don't feel like it saves me anything....
We have been happy w reviews & others opinions.
Lately had an issue as the free app used on tablet won't show updated data one whole tile is now not accessible. AC says use another app...but I see others are now not free...at least what I've been able to research while cruising. Sorry I updated data at least before I had access to prior reviews now while map is gone.
What app are others using on Android tablets/ phones to access AC?
Any suggestions re free apps?
We cruise once / summer find it helpful but not worth much if I have to pay for access.

I am still trying to figure it all out with the iPad. My iPad is the cheap variety with no gps and no cell connection. I can't use the AC website with it because the iPad lacks flash support. I am sure that there are ways around it but I haven't pursued it to actively. I didn't bring my laptop this trip so am limited to Android phone and iPad.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Just to clarify, the ONLY aspect of AC that I have written off is the fuel and dockage pricing info. That aside, I use AC all the time and find it indispensable.
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't mean to misrepresent, but when I read it back...

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I use AC extensively. We have anchored in numerous places that I did not know of and thus saved marina costs. I also search fuel prices and have found that even if out of date, I'm guided to the place that is likely the best price. A simple phone call gets me the current price. Fuel prices can change daily so the phone call is mandatory. I have also been to marinas that offer an AC discount. The Defender offers are, on occasion, just what I need. Yes, I've saved a bunch of money.

I can't speak to the west coast but if you are a full time cruiser on the east coast and you're not saving money then you are not using AC to its full potential.

Closed Thread