View Poll Results: How much do you think you save using Active Captain each year?
>$1,000 per year 3 7.14%
Between $500 and $1,000 per year 5 11.90%
Between $100 and $500 per year 8 19.05%
<$100 per year 2 4.76%
I don't save any money 18 42.86%
It's a conspiracy that increases my slip rent 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #101
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
We asked our governament to arange things in the public domain with our tax money, ...............................
I don't recall asking the government to supply free housing, free food and free cell phones (of al things) to those unwilling to support themselves.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #102
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Semi-hate to repeat, but indirect costs are in everything you spend money on. What kind of boat do you have? Where did you learn of it? In one of the ?.....shortened for space......
Semi planing....I don't think the first sentence was the way you took it....I did at first but then thought it out....

So in my mind, the hyphen there wasn't connecting semi and hate, it was there to separate a shortened version of your forum name and the hate goes with the concept of having to repeat something.

Could be wrong on this too....but I doubt it...

Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #103

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I don't recall asking the government to supply free housing, free food and free cell phones (of al things) to those unwilling to support themselves.
That's why "in a democracy" you can vote.....
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #104
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
As psneeld pointed out, there is indeed no way to quantify the costs (or profits) associated with these funding arrangements, but there should be. I suspect the numbers are much larger than any of you think, and I for one want to know. The only way to find out is to ask regulators to look into it. So that's the plan.

Bon Voyage, my friends
So who are these 'regulators'? Just curious.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Yes, most of our seasonal slips have been at marinas with lots of amenities that I never use. I elected to pay the price. Different from being "taxed" for a commercial service that I know nothing about and/or won't use even if I do. Another poster remarked that he thought only the government could do that (tax). Well, that's obviously not true in the internet information world. And the old refrain "taxation without representation is tyranny" still applies. Sure it's a small point....but it all adds to the cost of boating. Again, this crowd are primarily users of AC and you're protecting your freebee. And many of you are doing it with great vigor, tossing out endless insults and derogatory comments. Unnecessary and pretty ugly stuff...."semi-hate"...and worse.... By the way BandB, I didn't specifically call you a fat cat...I said the mom and pops who have trouble just paying for their slip see the "big" boats traveling around the country as fat cats. That's just a fact...and it would include me. (Be careful about taking things out of context).

I'm not angry at all. I'm just trying to make a point on principal, and I'm a very tenacious person. Yup, this issue is all over the place in advertising funded sites. TF is a good example, and the folks who are involved with the business side have a serious financial interest in keeping it exactly as it is...."free"....while it's obviously a cost ALL boaters. The Boat Diesel model is more to my fairness standard. I'd like to see all of these boating related forums take that route. They won't go there because the profits aren't there. By the way, I still wonder why a thread like this isn't in the Commercial Market section. Sure looks like a marketing thread for AC (which I knowingly perpetuated....for a reason). Still...

As psneeld pointed out, there is indeed no way to quantify the costs (or profits) associated with these funding arrangements, but there should be. I suspect the numbers are much larger than any of you think, and I for one want to know. The only way to find out is to ask regulators to look into it. So that's the plan.

Bon Voyage, my friends
Don Quixote, best of luck Tilting at Windmills!

Click image for larger version

Name:	quixote_1_lg.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	54918

Ted
Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #106
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
And in a capitalist society you are free to vote with your wallet. No one is forcing you to use AC or stay at marinas that pay to sponsor AC. In fact with AC you can see who the sponsors are and completely avoid them if that is your pleasure.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #107
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Don Quixote, best of luck Tilting at Windmills!

Attachment 54918

Ted
Hey...I am the first to admit that it only takes one ember to start a forest fire....

Assuming that one drop of rain doesn't extingush it first....

Then again I never envisioned conspiracy theories to catch hold on this forum...unless it has to deal with anchors.........another non-provable set of theories......
Old 08-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #108
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Bon Voyage, my friends

So, you think that "regulators" need to "look into it"? What "regulators? The FTC? What do you think they would be looking into? Do you think there is some kind of anti-trust issue here? I am afraid that you have completely lost touch.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hey...I am the first to admit that it only takes one ember to start a forest fire....

Assuming that one drop of rain doesn't extingush it first....

Then again I never envisioned conspiracy theories to catch hold on this forum...unless it has to deal with anchors.........another non-provable set of theories......
Yep, maybe the one that dirt the whole forum with Advertisements of his product.

I kindly ask Commercial Members to stay in the Commercial Area of the forum when discussing their products.

I dearly hope that the forum management take care of this demand.

PS. I remember that Hendo78 left the forum ones because of a link in his signature..........
Old 08-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #110
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Yep, maybe the one that dirt the whole forum with Advertisements of his product.

I kindly ask Commercial Members to stay in the Commercial Area of the forum when discussing their products.

I dearly hope that the forum management take care of this demand.
Mr. Siegel did not start this thread. He just came on here to clarify some things. If you see something that you believe is not "in the spirit of things", please hit the report button and it will go for review. Commercial members generally know and adhere to the rules. This is not his thread. And just because he comments does not mean it should end up in the commercial section. Ted is a member in good standing and I doubt he is up to no good with his intentions in starting this thread.

Ps...it is also against the rules to discuss how we moderate this forum. We do it for the betterment of the ENTIRE community...not just the wishes of one member.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Mr. Siegel did not start this thread. He just came on here to clarify some things. If you see something that you believe is not "in the spirit of things", please hit the report button and it will go for review. Commercial members generally know and adhere to the rules. This is not his thread. And just because he comments does not mean it should end up in the commercial section. Ted is a member in good standing and I doubt he is up to no good with his intentions in starting this thread.

Ps...it is also against the rules to discuss how we moderate this forum. We do it for the betterment of the ENTIRE community...not just the wishes of one member.
Baker, if you read it again you see that i wrote; "i dearly hope" no value for other members in this.....
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #112
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
There's one word I haven't seen in this thread and that is 'free enterprise'. Jeffrey saw an opportunity/demand and went to fill it, rather successfully I think, and he is making money at it. I think that's called free enterprise. Some marina owners decided that partnering with AC would being in more customers, hence more money, and took the opportunity. Again 'free enterprise' as I doubt Jeffrey held a gun to their heads to make them partner with AC. I don't want to get political, but I bet I know who Semi is going to vote for. He needs 'regulators' to protect him from the big bad capitalists like Jeffrey and the marina owners.
Maybe if he ever ends up in an AC partner marina he can ask for a 'non AC user' discount.
Maybe we should put this thread on hold until Semi can report back from the 'regulators'.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #113
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Baker, if you read it again you see that i wrote; "i dearly hope" no value for other members in this.....
Baker is fully capable of reading what you wrote. Not the first time you've written the same. You are trying to govern the board. The moderators are very responsive to any suggestions or complaints made to them. Let's quote your full sentence, "I dearly hope that the forum management take care of this demand." As he said, you don't address forum management in the threads, and you most certainly don't make "demands." Your word, not mine.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
There's one word I haven't seen in this thread and that is 'free enterprise'.
Wifey B: one word? free + enterprise = two. I couldn't resist. One of the all time best quotes by a baseball player and they have more crazy quotes than any other sport was Joaquin Andujar. "There is one word in America that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.'" Source: Sports Illustrated (June 22, 1987). He also is alleged to have said his favorite word in English was "you never know".

Yes, I think there is opposition to free enterprise by a couple of members here. I have not the foggiest (and I'm talking the worst fog of London and San Francisco combined) idea where they draw the line. I can only joke about this thread, so thanks for setting me up.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #115
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Sure, but when the folks getting the free stuff outnumber the ones supplying the tax dollars and they vote, your vote won't mean anything.

I recently read a quote:

When there ware more people sitting in the wagon than there are pulling it, the wagon t going to go very far.

To get back on subject and to be fair, I use Active Captain extensively. Not for hazards, but for marinas and anchorages. I don't stay at "sponsor" marinas because they are sponsor marinas, I don't even consider that.

Location and price are the two things I consider most. Amenities are a secondary consideration. If there's a link to the marina's website, I will check that out as well.

Active Captain has made the boating experience better for me.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #116
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I can make an argument that noonsite
Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #117
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Trying again. Damn iPhone.

Anyway, I can argue that noonsite will cause marina rate to rise more than AC simply because it lists so few. If everyone used Noonsite, then they would flock to the few marinas that noonsite list. Those marinas would become overcrowded and prices would go up.

It's just ridiculous to blame AC for imaginary increases in dockage while at the same time saying noonsite does not have a similar effect.

I think noonsite is very valuable, and only overlaps with AC by maybe 10% in the info and value that it provides. Each serves a different purpose.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #118

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hey, just what the heck is "dockwa"?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Baker is fully capable of reading what you wrote. Not the first time you've written the same. You are trying to govern the board. The moderators are very responsive to any suggestions or complaints made to them. Let's quote your full sentence, "I dearly hope that the forum management take care of this demand." As he said, you don't address forum management in the threads, and you most certainly don't make "demands." Your word, not mine.
So now you answer also for other people, in my contry we call this "Arrogant"

Happy sailing......
Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
So now you answer also for other people, in my contry we call this "Arrogant"

Happy sailing......
Doesn't change that you were making demands of the moderators. That would certainly seem to match my arrogance. You avoided the point of the message with name calling. Fine with me.

Closed Thread