View Poll Results: How much do you think you save using Active Captain each year?
>$1,000 per year 3 7.14%
Between $500 and $1,000 per year 5 11.90%
Between $100 and $500 per year 8 19.05%
<$100 per year 2 4.76%
I don't save any money 18 42.86%
It's a conspiracy that increases my slip rent 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
First time I've heard of it. Meanwhile, my life isn't lacking due to my ignorance.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #82
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
We use it all the time to choose marinas with higher ratings with lower costs. How do you quantify savings? By overnight stays not wasted on overpriced marinas? By anchorages chosen instead of marinas? Too subjective. What it saves me is my time not wasted making phone calls to marinas listed in cruising guides. So what is the price of my time? Impossible to calculate.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #83
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I am still trying to figure it all out with the iPad. My iPad is the cheap variety with no gps and no cell connection. I can't use the AC website with it because the iPad lacks flash support. I am sure that there are ways around it but I haven't pursued it to actively. I didn't bring my laptop this trip so am limited to Android phone and iPad.
I use AC on an iPad with Garmin Blue charts Mobil
App is free $30 gets you all the charts for US and Bahamas
I down load AC data to the chart app so no internet connection is needed.
iPad is always on the bridge with a garmin gps puck hooked up to it Bluetooth style.

Works just like a chart plotter with all AC info icons visible as you cruise past
Would not leave the dock without it! Well ya I would but sure makes it nice to have a live guide at your fingertips.
And a back up plotter
By the way the charts are spot on in the Bahamas
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #84
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for the suggestions on using the iPad. I have found that the Seaiq works OK, just not in Canada as it allows me to download the NOAA charts but those are only good for US waters. The idea of adding a plug in God is a good one and something I should do.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
First time I've heard of it. Meanwhile, my life isn't lacking due to my ignorance.
According to these guys, your wallet is!!!! How do you like them apples. You're paying for a service we use!!!...wooohoooo!!!....muchas grassy ass!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #86
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Get a Bad Elf external GPS... and then install an iPad nav app (several to choose from) that integrates ActiveCaptain markers. No need to go to the AC website to see and expand markers. WiFi and cell not necessary.

(Not sure how you'd enter a review or your own comments; maybe apps permit that, but I've always entered reviews right on the AC website.)

-Chris

Chris, I took your advice and just ordered a Bad Elf gps. It will be waiting for me when I get home.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Your life might not be lacking, but perhaps your memory might be.

You responded to a thread solely about ActiveCaptain on chartplotters in this link:
Active Captain Information on older plotters

You've also responded to other threads about ActiveCaptain. Strange that this is the first time you've heard of it?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #88
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
(Not sure how you'd enter a review or your own comments; maybe apps permit that, but I've always entered reviews right on the AC website.)
Every app that has ActiveCaptain inside has the ability to submit reviews and hazard comments. It's a requirement of the license.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #89
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
We use it all the time to choose marinas with higher ratings with lower costs. How do you quantify savings? By overnight stays not wasted on overpriced marinas? By anchorages chosen instead of marinas? Too subjective. What it saves me is my time not wasted making phone calls to marinas listed in cruising guides. So what is the price of my time? Impossible to calculate.
By that measure I think I have saved...
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #90

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Your life might not be lacking, but perhaps your memory might be.

You responded to a thread solely about ActiveCaptain on chartplotters in this link:
Active Captain Information on older plotters

You've also responded to other threads about ActiveCaptain. Strange that this is the first time you've heard of it?
This thread realy starts to be a joke, but Jeffrey you are completely right ...don't let escape a potential client...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #91
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
That was all you could find?????

Cruising the Golf Area, Bahama's, Caribbean etc. East Coast US, then my advice is to ALL cruisers visit www.noonsite.com and see what it gives to you, with the special thanks going to Mr. Jimmy Cornell.
I see almost no overlap between Noonsite and AC. Noonsite is a much higher level guide with customs clearance guideline from country to country, etc. Port info is very, very limited covering only major ports. For example, it only covers 21 ports in the whole US east coast. For anchorages, marinas, and hazards, there is simply no comparison between the two. AC has WAY, WAY more content. And everything in AC is geo-located on your chart with an off-line data base. How do I use Noonsite to check out anchorages in Tebenkof Bay, Kuiu Island, Alaska? It has zero info, and even if it did, it will have been a couple of weeks since I last had internet when you arrive at Tebenkof, so you can't access Noonsite even if you wanted to.

There is simply no comparison between the two.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #92
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Reiziger and Semi, it's time to put it to rest. Frankly, I for one am tired of your nonsense rantings which have absolutely no rationale---save perhaps your own personal agenda. You have no data to support your allegations yet you are attacking a gentleman who has provided a great tool to part time and full time cruisers. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you think you are suffering financially, give up boating. I will continue to use AC as often as possible and I hope others here will increase their usage too; since you guys are paying for it, we might as well enjoy it.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #93
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Semi-hate to repeat, but indirect costs are in everything you spend money on. What kind of boat do you have? Where did you learn of it? In one of the mare than several publications your builder may advertise in? Or any of the boat shows the builder may have paid to show in? Or just direct through a broker? You paid for all that advertising that never reached your or affected your purchasing decision. And it gets even worse. The manufacturers of every single piece of equipment on your boat have built their advertising/marketing/overhead costs into each item on you boat. How did the builder come across that equipment? Did any of that indirect expense affect his purchasing decision? Maybe, maybe not, but you have paid for it. Did all of those companies figure the same profit into their pricing decisions? Maybe one budgeted a 10% profit but another budgeted a 20% profit. You paid. Your boat could easily have cost 15-20% less if you didn't have to bear all those indirect costs. In your world, it seems you are only willing to pay the direct manufacturing cost (plus maybe some profit?) for anything you buy. That is just a bit na´ve.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #94
Guru

And I thought they only made boats out of cement
Mystic,Ct
Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #95
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And, what about fire departments. I pay for them and I've never had a fire. I pay for schools and I have no kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
We asked our governament to arange things in the public domain with our tax money, i can't remember i asked Jeffrey anything.

Substitute other services. I didn't ask airlines to create themselves, but they did and I benefit from that (even though I rarely fly, these days). I didn't ask taxi companies to create themselves, but they did and I benefit from that (even though I rarely use them). I didn't ask hospitals to create themselves, but they did, and I benefit from that (even when I hope to only rarely use them; never would be good with me).

I'm glad I don't have to grow my own food, and I'm willing to pay for somebody else to do that.... and for all the intermediate costs necessary to get it nearby. I'm glad I don't have to cobble my own shoes, and I'm willing to pay for that... and for all the intermediate costs top make shoes available nearby. And so forth. Of course everyone is welcome to grow their own, cobble their own... and even then, they too would still be involved in making all that possible. Too bad, but I don't have much sympathy. I would certainly prefer a world where everyone pays their own way for direct-benefit services, plus a reasonable portion for indirect-benefit services, plus a much smaller portion of "society benefits" services... but if AC falls into that latter "all boaters benefit" category (a rising tide floats all boats higher), that works for me.

If I had known there was a Jeff who was capable of creating an AC... and that an AC could work as it does... I would have asked him to invent that. I'm lucky he stepped up. I don't see where AC costs me anything in indirect costs associated with rising prices in the marketplace. Haven't seen rising prices that could have been caused by AC, even though I have seen some slip fee increases that seem to have come about after a change in marina ownership... with or without some cash injection for infrastructure improvements.

Many of the internet forums are funded by Google's AdSense. I didn't ask for that either, but then again without that pesky advertising, many forums I appreciate couldn't exist. And that's just advertising money that would have been spend in some other media anyway.

-Chris
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #96
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
With all due respect, the issue is what I and other non-users currently pay for you to use the resource. You versus someone else paying for what you use is the point. Put a price on the service and compete with the hard copy folks, for example. Pay for play. Be up front about it.
Have you ever had a slip at a marina with a swimming pool? Commercial swimming pools are quite expensive to maintain between employee labor, electricity to run the pumps, and all the chemicals. I'm guessing the all in cost of a swimming pool might be 20 to 50 times the cost of AC for a marina. Where's your outrage for slip holders subsidizing the cost of a swimming pool for the small minority who use it?

Ted
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #97
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Have you ever had a slip at a marina with a swimming pool? Commercial swimming pools are quite expensive to maintain between employee labor, electricity to run the pumps, and all the chemicals. I'm guessing the all in cost of a swimming pool might be 100 times the cost of AC for a marina. Where's your outrage for slip holders subsidizing the cost of a swimming pool for the small minority who use it?

Ted
...had the same thought....also barbeque grills, recreation rooms, cable tv, wifi, etc...etc...

Hardly any of which I use when cruising, especially the swimming pools due to my snowbird migration. It's the local folks that take their 2 week trip every summer that get the most use out of these items, yet even less use than the dock condo "boaters".

Pulling in at dusk and leaving at daybreak, buying maybe $500 worth of fuel (maybe more than the many of the locals buy all year), using little or no electric, little water, using my own lines, causing no wear and tear at the marina, yet paying over $80 a night for the privilege of staying the night.....and who is subsidizing who?

Heck, I have had to pay full price at marinas in December when their water, electric and wifi were inop...when I suggested a price break....got the deer in the headlights look. " what, and have to raise the rates of my regular locals?" ...just kidding...but no price reduction either.

No, not clear in my mind.....

Sure there are times I feel like I am getting a good deal, and other times definitely not.

This rates up there in TF discussions of theory versus fact....like oil quality. Sounds good, till someone asks for facts.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #98
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Not a penny. Active Captain actually places a cost burden on non-users who in effect, are forced to subsidize the business without their consent. Advertising spent with Active Captain is paid for by end users...the boating public. Likewise if marinas are engaged with Active Captain, their expenditures are passed along to the end user...the boater.
This makes an assumption that paying for AC results in a net loss of profit to the marina. Not true if AC increases marina occupancy and therefore profits. Boating is not a zero-sum equation.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #99
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
This makes an assumption that paying for AC results in a net loss of profit to the marina. Not true if AC increases marina occupancy and therefore profits. Boating is not a zero-sum equation.
That is the concept being missed. Marinas wouldn't pay us unless they saw a direct return. Here's the internal magic of how it all really works:

- Marinas who average 4 or 5 stars love ActiveCaptain because for the first time, ActiveCaptain show boaters their qualities in an honest way. Let's face it, if you see a paid ad somewhere about how wonderful a facility is, you don't really believe that your experience will look like the picture, any more than you believe the Big Mac you get will look anything like the TV commercial.

- These marinas that the community rates as good or great want to pay for a couple of reasons: 1) they want to make sure ActiveCaptain is sustained, and 2) the extra tools and analytics help them bring more boaters who otherwise wouldn't come.

This is a pure dollars and cents decision. Partner marinas easily make up the yearly ActiveCaptain cost between within a week to a month. We couldn't have a viable business unless we could show that consistently.

So if you're a 2 or 3 star marina, a couple of things happen:

- We will not accept you into the partner program unless you have a plan and budget showing how you intend to be a 4-5 star facility. This usually only happens if the marina management/ownership has changed. We turn down money every week from marinas who don't measure up.

- The community learns about your ratings and they divert their spending to other, higher quality marinas where they'll have a better experience.

So the idea that ActiveCaptain has cost any boater anything is absurd. It certainly has cost the poorer quality marinas and yards though who can no longer hide from the experiences they provide. In reality, that's who actually pays for ActiveCaptain.

Marinas can no longer fool boaters by buying ads to show how great they are. Now the community, us, tells each other and the result makes our cruising more enjoyable. I'd expect the results of forums like this are similar - it's the interaction and opinions of others that matter more than any advertisement or promotion.

A side benefit is that, because the higher quality marinas get a higher occupancy, they're making more money than before. So they are much LESS apt to raise their prices - why should they? In that way, ActiveCaptain is providing higher quality experiences to boaters while keeping the costs lower.

Q.E.D.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Have you ever had a slip at a marina with a swimming pool? Commercial swimming pools are quite expensive to maintain between employee labor, electricity to run the pumps, and all the chemicals. I'm guessing the all in cost of a swimming pool might be 20 to 50 times the cost of AC for a marina. Where's your outrage for slip holders subsidizing the cost of a swimming pool for the small minority who use it?

Ted
Yes, most of our seasonal slips have been at marinas with lots of amenities that I never use. I elected to pay the price. Different from being "taxed" for a commercial service that I know nothing about and/or won't use even if I do. Another poster remarked that he thought only the government could do that (tax). Well, that's obviously not true in the internet information world. And the old refrain "taxation without representation is tyranny" still applies. Sure it's a small point....but it all adds to the cost of boating. Again, this crowd are primarily users of AC and you're protecting your freebee. And many of you are doing it with great vigor, tossing out endless insults and derogatory comments. Unnecessary and pretty ugly stuff...."semi-hate"...and worse.... By the way BandB, I didn't specifically call you a fat cat...I said the mom and pops who have trouble just paying for their slip see the "big" boats traveling around the country as fat cats. That's just a fact...and it would include me. (Be careful about taking things out of context).

I'm not angry at all. I'm just trying to make a point on principal, and I'm a very tenacious person. Yup, this issue is all over the place in advertising funded sites. TF is a good example, and the folks who are involved with the business side have a serious financial interest in keeping it exactly as it is...."free"....while it's obviously a cost ALL boaters. The Boat Diesel model is more to my fairness standard. I'd like to see all of these boating related forums take that route. They won't go there because the profits aren't there. By the way, I still wonder why a thread like this isn't in the Commercial Market section. Sure looks like a marketing thread for AC (which I knowingly perpetuated....for a reason). Still...

As psneeld pointed out, there is indeed no way to quantify the costs (or profits) associated with these funding arrangements, but there should be. I suspect the numbers are much larger than any of you think, and I for one want to know. The only way to find out is to ask regulators to look into it. So that's the plan.

Bon Voyage, my friends

Closed Thread