View Poll Results: How much do you think you save using Active Captain each year?
>$1,000 per year 3 7.14%
Between $500 and $1,000 per year 5 11.90%
Between $100 and $500 per year 8 19.05%
<$100 per year 2 4.76%
I don't save any money 18 42.86%
It's a conspiracy that increases my slip rent 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #61
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Jeffrey goes out of his way to assure his freebee advocates that he will never impose a user fee. There's a reason for that. He wants outside funding so he can make that claim and at the same time spread the cost around over the entire boating community. Everybody thereby pays a little bit...whether they use the site or not. AC is not free...you just don't pay a direct fee for access. The tens of thousands of other boaters along with you are picking up the tab for advertising on his site....again whether they want to or not....and unbeknownst to most of them. You know it because you use the site. Obviously a similar marketing/funding methodology as used on this site.

When you buy a hard copy cruisers guide, you offset a chunk of the company's cost....the rest is picked up by their own advertisers. But you, the end user are absorbing a fair piece of the product cost as opposed to letting fellow boaters who have no interest in the product pick up that portion of the tab. Seems more fair and honest to me. Of course, there's no way of following the money trail. Jeffrey says show me proof that there's any cost to anyone anywhere. I'd say show me proof that there's not. Nobody is going to show you their books.
With all due respect.....who cares!!!! It is a valuable resource. If I am paying a little bit to use it, so be it.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #62

With all due respect, the issue is what I and other non-users currently pay for you to use the resource. You versus someone else paying for what you use is the point. Put a price on the service and compete with the hard copy folks, for example. Pay for play. Be up front about it.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #63

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
With all due respect.....who cares!!!! It is a valuable resource. If I am paying a little bit to use it, so be it.
Please speak for your self and NOT for me....... Valuable resource.. i do not use the ActiveCaptain website and in the future i will not use it.. i am perfectly happy with www.noonsite.com
Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #64
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Active Captain actually places a cost burden on non-users who in effect, are forced to subsidize the business without their consent.
I thought only the government could do that.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #65

I wish you all fair weather and following seas. Life is too short!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
With all due respect, the issue is what I and other non-users currently pay for you to use the resource. You versus someone else paying for what you use is the point. Put a price on the service and compete with the hard copy folks, for example. Pay for play. Be up front about it.
Ok, so if we follow your line of reasoning, how much more is each boater paying for this AC nefarious plot? BTW, back in 2009 - 2012 when dockage prices fell, was that Jeff's fault also, or were there other forces in play such as the recession?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I admit confusion. So, are you two against all for-profit endeavors?

And, what about fire departments. I pay for them and I've never had a fire. I pay for schools and I have no kids.

There are many things about the world I don't like but I accept that I don't get to make all the decisions. Things I wish had never happened, but I can't reverse time.

Oh, and for the record, the Fat Cat loves the Evil Woman. So that's who we are and how you label us. Fine. We don't care. We'll accept those labels and move on.

And we're both sorry that we just don't understand all the anger. We never imagined a discussion of Dockwa and a post from Active Captain would bring such out. Now even a thread of how we've benefited from AC. There are so many things in this world that indirectly cost me and I don't benefit from. I'm sure there's far more behind the anger. I'm not going to use Dockwa but it doesn't make me angry. I do use AC. I use many resources. I certainly find nothing evil about AC.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #68
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Ok, so if we follow your line of reasoning, how much more is each boater paying for this AC nefarious plot? BTW, back in 2009 - 2012 when dockage prices fell, was that Jeff's fault also, or were there other forces in play such as the recession?
This has all been very comical. Next thing you know, ActiveCaptain will be claimed responsible for brexit, lower diesel costs, higher prices of soybean, and the lack of spousal consortium among our critics here.

Thanks for giving me a good chuckle today...
Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #69

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I admit confusion. So, are you two against all for-profit endeavors?

And, what about fire departments. I pay for them and I've never had a fire. I pay for schools and I have no kids.

There are many things about the world I don't like but I accept that I don't get to make all the decisions. Things I wish had never happened, but I can't reverse time.

Oh, and for the record, the Fat Cat loves the Evil Woman. So that's who we are and how you label us. Fine. We don't care. We'll accept those labels and move on.

And we're both sorry that we just don't understand all the anger. We never imagined a discussion of Dockwa and a post from Active Captain would bring such out. Now even a thread of how we've benefited from AC. There are so many things in this world that indirectly cost me and I don't benefit from. I'm sure there's far more behind the anger. I'm not going to use Dockwa but it doesn't make me angry. I do use AC. I use many resources. I certainly find nothing evil about AC.
We asked our governament to arange things in the public domain with our tax money, i can't remember i asked Jeffrey anything.

If you has one second the idea that AC is comparable with the fire department etc. then you obvious don't want to discuss this. So good luck and happy sailing.

You stay with AC and i with www.noonsite.com
Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
You stay with AC and i with www.noonsite.com
I use both. That is legal the last I knew. I use them for very different things.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
This has all been very comical. Next thing you know, ActiveCaptain will be claimed responsible for brexit, lower diesel costs, higher prices of soybean, and the lack of spousal consortium among our critics here.

The George Bush of marine products....everything is his fault ya know!!!!

(It was a joke...please, y'all don't wander off into politics off of this post.)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post

Wifey B: Guilty on all accounts. The election is all your fault. So are the Kardashians. Jordan Rodgers being chosen on Bachelorette too. Glad to see you finally confessing.

Meanwhile I'm just an evil woman.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
The George Bush of marine products....everything is his fault ya know!!!!

(It was a joke...please, y'all don't wander off into politics off of this post.)
Wifey B: This is the fault of Al Gore. After all, he invented the internet.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: This is the fault of Al Gore. After all, he invented the internet.
Damn....you're right!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #75
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I liked the anchor conversations more
Old 08-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #76

I was considering purchasing a new Fiat and now I see it advertising on this site!!!!! That means every single one of you is potentially complicit in the scheme of raising the price of my new Fiat because they advertise on this site!!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
I was considering purchasing a new Fiat and now I see it advertising on this site!!!!! That means every single one of you is potentially complicit in the scheme of raising the price of my new Fiat because they advertise on this site!!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!
Wifey B: And now you're as much at fault as Jeffrey. I can't remember and I'm not looking back for the label they used for people like you.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #78
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470258692.463266.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	54888

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470258712.115019.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	54889

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Wifey B: Timothy Leary had a method of seeing everything clearly too.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #80
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I actually do see the tiny sliver of light of what is being said through a pretty good mass of darkness ( meaning no one here has a clue of whether it really adds and how much to all boaters).

I do see what is being said.....but the harder I try to identify what and where the costs are...but there could be so many what ifs....I doubt my marina manager and probably 50 more that run marinas that I frequent between NJ and Fl that couldn't possibly suggest what those costs are.

Theoretically they could be there...but totally unproven at this point.

If it is so self evident...then please explain it for the cheap seats.

I do work for a marina part time an am very friendly with both the owner and manager....so it won't be hard to get detail s and specifics...just in case
Closed Thread