View Poll Results: How much do you think you save using Active Captain each year?
>$1,000 per year 3 7.14%
Between $500 and $1,000 per year 5 11.90%
Between $100 and $500 per year 8 19.05%
<$100 per year 2 4.76%
I don't save any money 18 42.86%
It's a conspiracy that increases my slip rent 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
You guys are all missing the point of Active Captain. Yes, AC does save me some money, but that is irrelevant.

When we started long range cruising a hundred years ago, before wifi when cell phones were analog, we got our cruising information from: Captain Bob (pretty good along the ICW), cruising guides (some good, some not so good) and word of mouth from a few cruisers we passed in the night.

Today we get that information, mostly from cruisers but now in the thousands, through Active Captain. One simple example: You are cruising down the ICW in a somewhat remote area. Your fuel tank is getting low. Before I would look up marinas in a cruising guide, call them (if they answered) to see if they had fuel and then fuel up. Today I just look at AC, find the marinas and yards with fuel along the way and (sometimes) get pricing information. It is now much simpler and more reliable with AC data.

So don't focus on how much money AC has saved you. Focus on the value it brings to you.

David

Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Just finished 13 months and over 6000 miles of cruising. AC assisted in planning and picking cheaper marinas with discounts indicated on AC. I planned fuel stops based on AC pricing data. Going forward it will save me on cruising guides that I probably wont buy. Putting a figure on what it saved us is tuff. A better question is whats it worth to you if you had to buy it. I would gladly pay $100/year when actively cruising for the service. That would be a good question for the poll. Would you pay a fee for the service?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #23

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Ted - interesting question. I do not have a way to quantify the answer. I do know I used Active Captain and Waterway Guide to select where I took in fuel. Top Rack in VA and then Winter Harbor in NY - some of the best prices I could find. When I get south of Chicago, I will take on another load of fuel and will be checking AC for pricing.
We do not anchor without at least seeing if others have written a review on the area. For us, the Active Captain is another reference along with Skipper Bob for travel.
On marinas, I was disappointed in the rating or tagging of marinas as 1st Choice- I learned these are not the highest rated but those that participate with Active Captain. We have had good and bad results there.

I like having the anchorages, marinas, hazards on my chartplotters and ipad.

I appreciate what Jeff has done in developing AC and that he has moved the industry forward. The eCards, Locations, and messaging have some improvements coming that will make it work easier.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #24

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With the on going discussion about Active Captain on another thread, I thought it might be interesting to see what people think they save using it. Clearly some of the information can be sourced elsewhere, but here would be some areas that it might help you save money:
Anchorages and free docks as opposed to always staying in the marina
Fuel pricing comparison
Transient dockage pricing
Listing of boatyards when away from home for emergency services

While it varies from year to year, I'm sure my savings are in the hundreds of dollars per year.

Ted
Does it save me money? Well don't know, I've never hit an obstruction listed, never gone aground where listed, never had a bad thing happened by watching the hazards listed.
Never saved money by which laundry to choose, but damn glad to have info on where they are! As well as the services and amenities listed so I know what to expect, replaced most of my cruising guides 90%
This is an interactive program and I'm embarrassed to say I have not put in my fair share of input

In short Active Captian is one of the most useful cruising tools ever developed, with a wealth of information that can not be duplicated in printed media.

Jeff, if your reading this hats off too you, great job, keep up the good work!

Money wise it Hey it's free. But peronally I'd pay for it! If this is a back door survey, Yes I'd pay a reasonable amount per month, worth every penny!
Gerry
Hope to see all of you on the water!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #25

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With the on going discussion about Active Captain on another thread, I thought it might be interesting to see what people think they save using it. Clearly some of the information can be sourced elsewhere, but here would be some areas that it might help you save money:
Anchorages and free docks as opposed to always staying in the marina
Fuel pricing comparison
Transient dockage pricing
Listing of boatyards when away from home for emergency services

While it varies from year to year, I'm sure my savings are in the hundreds of dollars per year.

Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Not a penny. Active Captain actually places a cost burden on non-users who in effect, are forced to subsidize the business without their consent. Advertising spent with Active Captain is paid for by end users...the boating public. Likewise if marinas are engaged with Active Captain, their expenditures are passed along to the end user...the boater.
It's called advertising
Every business does it
Business 101
And provides a valuable service to the cruising community>
Have you ever left the dock?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Great comments - fun to read.

The goal of ActiveCaptain was to make your cruising adventures safer and more enjoyable. If it saves money along the way, so much the better.

There will never be a fee for using it as long as I'm the one making the decisions. I can't imagine anyone else changing that either.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I use MX Mariner on my Samsung Galaxy Active Captain markers and comments/notes are overlaid. The chart regions are downloaded onto a chip. It works fine so far.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You guys are all missing the point of Active Captain. Yes, AC does save me some money, but that is irrelevant.

When we started long range cruising a hundred years ago, before wifi when cell phones were analog, we got our cruising information from: Captain Bob (pretty good along the ICW), cruising guides (some good, some not so good) and word of mouth from a few cruisers we passed in the night.

Today we get that information, mostly from cruisers but now in the thousands, through Active Captain. One simple example: You are cruising down the ICW in a somewhat remote area. Your fuel tank is getting low. Before I would look up marinas in a cruising guide, call them (if they answered) to see if they had fuel and then fuel up. Today I just look at AC, find the marinas and yards with fuel along the way and (sometimes) get pricing information. It is now much simpler and more reliable with AC data.

So don't focus on how much money AC has saved you. Focus on the value it brings to you.

David
Thanks Dave, you nailed it. That's what it's all about.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I can't speak to the west coast but if you are a full time cruiser on the east coast and you're not saving money then you are not using AC to its full potential.
I've been using it on the west coast (lower 48, BC, and AK) for the past two years and find it just as helpful as on the east coast. There aren't 5000 reviews for each marina, but after a small handful the additional reviews are of very rapidly declining value.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #30

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
We are (still) new to boating and AC was mentioned to us in a navigation class back in 2012 in Annapolis, when we bought our first and only boat. That little tip ranks up there with the best we've ever gotten.

It is clearly our #1 resource when we cruise. Since we don't anchor often we usually switch that info off, but the hazards, local info., and marina info is essential!

Jeff & Karen, along with the thousands of commenters, have really helped us with all the easily accessed information!

Right, as others have mentioned, don't miss the point. It's not about savings to us, but rather about safe and knowledgable boating- which we find invaluable. We need all the help we can get and AC provides us with abundance.

AC is a great product! Thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:20 AM   #31
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I tried it for a couple of months and it was ok. But I eventually went back to the simpler OpenCPN on my laptop for trip planning and off the boat referencing.

I much prefer the Garmin Chart Plotter and all it's features for actual cruising and fishing though.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #32
FF
Guru

Logged on and my computer locked up , have a different one now.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #33
Guru

I don't think I have saved anything from active captain.
However I have used the reviews to great extent the couple of years we travelled, and hopefully some folks appreciated my reviews.
What I don't like is the hazard information people put in AC. At least what is in MY local area, as I do not consider most of them true hazards.

I like the dockwa information, it surely is more up to date than the cruising guides, and one has a choice whether to book via that app or simply use the information.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #34
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Is there any special reason it is named dockwa?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #35
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Surely no-one utilizes ActiveCaptain with saving money as the primary objective?? But I for one think it is priceless...I'm a huge fan and have used it around the world on the water...and at home from my arm chair
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #36
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
I think the question about how much it saves is not any more relevant than asking how much money a guidebook saves. It is merely an electronic guidebook that is continually updated by users. I have used it extensively on the east coast's ICW and found that after a while, some users and their comments began to stand out. For example, Bob423's comments are frequent and always exactly right, from experiences at anchorages to shoaling issues.

For those who are having trouble with the tablet version, I use AC on my iPad. It's data overlays on the tablet version of Gramin Blue Charts, which can be had for about $24. This ipad is dedicated to navigation and become a defacto third chart plotter.

Gordon
Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #37
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I am still trying to figure it all out with the iPad. My iPad is the cheap variety with no gps and no cell connection. I can't use the AC website with it because the iPad lacks flash support. I am sure that there are ways around it but I haven't pursued it to actively. I didn't bring my laptop this trip so am limited to Android phone and iPad.
Dave...
Not familiar w iPads but my Android has no GPS...what I was able to do and liked was to download the chart sections...tiles...at home or when wifi available then you can reference it offline where ever you are.
My problem was I updated a tile and now all it's not accessible and no way I know of to go back?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Which tile?

I just did Florida to Main tiles...no problem on my Samsung tab4.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #39
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I am still trying to figure it all out with the iPad. My iPad is the cheap variety with no gps and no cell connection. I can't use the AC website with it because the iPad lacks flash support. I am sure that there are ways around it but I haven't pursued it to actively. I didn't bring my laptop this trip so am limited to Android phone and iPad.

Get a Bad Elf external GPS... and then install an iPad nav app (several to choose from) that integrates ActiveCaptain markers. No need to go to the AC website to see and expand markers. WiFi and cell not necessary.

(Not sure how you'd enter a review or your own comments; maybe apps permit that, but I've always entered reviews right on the AC website.)

-Chris
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #40
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I can't calculate direct savings, but I don't have to buy C-Map charts for our main plotter in order to have marina contact data easy to hand... and I don't have to buy as many cruising guides as we needed before... and I don't have to find room in the boat library for as many hard-copy cruising guides as we needed before... and the data in some of the markers is more current than it could be in some of the hard-copy cruising guides...

There's probably an analogy out there about transportation infrastructure: I sometimes pay for some of that via direct tolls, sometimes through taxes on fuel, etc. I don't use some of the roads I help pay for... OTOH, I benefit from those existing... as do others... as for example when an ambulance is able to actually get to a victim, get to a hospital... simply because all that infrastructure exists.

I think AC uses some of today's useful technology to improve the boating situation for all... simply by existing, now that it's possible. Of course there's no free lunch... but then the rising tide supports all boats, too. If I'm indirectly paying for a small part of that cost, so be it.

BTW, comments about advertising are right on the mark: Business X budgets amount Y, and then spends it in the most useful venues. The creation of a new venue (such as AC) doesn't change Y.

-Chris