How much do you use your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much time do you spend on your boat?

• Total voters
Funny, we went through he same evolution. Got a quote for about 50k for a pool and then realized we'd rather be at the boat or someone else pool.

And you, sir, are the main reason why I still have $50k in my pocket. I have the dream of a pool. But in reality, I am on the boat as much as I can be. So the pool would just be nice to look at. And the marina has a nice pool anyway so I can just use it!!!

Thanks!!!!

My wife likes our pool more than the boat. SMH.

?

My wife likes our pool more than the boat. SMH.

?

Wifey B: That's sick....a little tiny pool vs a pool the size of oceans. All you can play with in your pool is little tiny remote controlled boats. :nonono:

Just kidding as we all have different tastes.

We typically spend 3 to 4 nights a week May - September plus 1 month of cruising vacation.

So many times during discussions people are adamant that the way they do something is the RIGHT way and can't understand why someone else does it differently. There are so many different uses and places to use a boat that most times there is more than one right answer. I thought it might be interesting to see how different members use their boats so I came up with the above poll.

For the sake of the poll please use the last 12 months for your answer, not what you want or hope to do (we all have dreams).

I hope you are also figuring on people who might have lived aboard and cruised extensively for 40 years but now just boat on weekends....may do things differently than other newbie weekend boaters because they really fall into a different category...but based on the last 12 month limitation??????

psneeld,
This is getting to be a habit of yours ... insulting newbies. A newbie here on TF often is a very experienced boater. You probably should say people new to boating if that's what you mean .. and I hope you do. But the newbies here on TF probably aren't thrilled being called stupid.

Last edited:
Considering how many newbies call themselves newbies when they first log on TF ...I seriously doubt they are all that insulted. :rolleyes:

What is insulting is your incessant posting that people should think like you...very disturbing. :socool:

Last edited:
psneeld,
This is getting to be a habit of yours ... insulting newbies. A newbie here on TF often is a very experienced boater. You probably should say people new to boating if that's what you mean .. and I hope you do. But the newbies here on TF probably aren't thrilled being called stupid.

Y'all help me out here???

Wifey B: I'm glad you're not the only one confused. Thought I was having a blonde moment. Don't even know who psneeld is alleged to have insulted this time. :rolleyes:

Going for popcorn. Anyone else want any? Not really. Too late for popcorn. it's after midnight here. This Atlantic Time messes things up.

giphy.gif

Wifey B: Jed, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Darn RTF...it's not Jed anymore. It was Jed Clampett. Now you have it snowing.

I'm on my boat at least 4x/week. Working on projects that will bring the boat up to better than new condition. (ie) Changing the holding tank monitor, adding lights in the ER, Going LED throughout, straightening a bent fluke on the SS anchor, adding lighted Sandpiper logos, refinishing the teak dash, running 2 new 110V circuits to the bridge, adding a shroud to cover my flybridge controls, adding a Smart Plug, installing a new life raft and adding new emergency gear to the ditch bag, adding new bedding to both staterooms, installing a new filter in the FW system, I had the bilges cleaned and painted, remove all corrosion from the bonding system and added new connections, added storage bins in the lazarette, on & on & on. We try and take the boat out as much as possible (between projects) but are only averaging cruising her twice a month at present. We plan on a few trips this summer (Mexico & Catalina) which is why we want to complete all the projects.

I do spend quite a bit of time just hanging out, swapping lies with my dock buddies and watching sports on the Direct TV. All n all, I love being on Sandpiper as much as possible.

I think you both represent different perspectives to boating and sometimes see things completely differently. It doesn't mean either was in error, but sometimes your mountaintops of perspective are beyond the other's sight.

I'm on my boat at least 4x/week. Working on projects that will bring the boat up to better than new condition. (ie) Changing the holding tank monitor, adding lights in the ER, Going LED throughout, straightening a bent fluke on the SS anchor, adding lighted Sandpiper logos, refinishing the teak dash, running 2 new 110V circuits to the bridge, adding a shroud to cover my flybridge controls, adding a Smart Plug, installing a new life raft and adding new emergency gear to the ditch bag, adding new bedding to both staterooms, installing a new filter in the FW system, I had the bilges cleaned and painted, remove all corrosion from the bonding system and added new connections, added storage bins in the lazarette, on & on & on. We try and take the boat out as much as possible (between projects) but are only averaging cruising her twice a month at present. We plan on a few trips this summer (Mexico & Catalina) which is why we want to complete all the projects.

I do spend quite a bit of time just hanging out, swapping lies with my dock buddies and watching sports on the Direct TV. All n all, I love being on Sandpiper as much as possible.

Damn. I think you outwork me, and I'm in my 50s.

Lived on and cruised 8 months last year. Will do about the same this year.

Baker wrote;
"Y'all help me out here???"

Many or many many newbies are very intelligent people. Many here on TF come from a boating past sailing, outboarding or even paddling w many years of boating experience. Because they don't have a lot of experience trawlering dosn't mean they should get called stupid by a more experienced trawlerman. We all were newbies at boating and on TF. To put down our new members is a bad thing .. IMO.

"I think you both represent different perspectives to boating and sometimes see things completely differently. It doesn't mean either was in error, but sometimes your mountaintops of perspective are beyond the others sight."
I think that's a good point Al. Thank you.

Actually my post #36 should have been on the weighty thread. Perhaps I clicked the wrong click?

Last edited:
Actually my post #36 should have been on the weighty thread. Perhaps I clicked the wrong click?

That's why I posted what I did.....made no sense to me!!!...and obviously anyone else. Carry on!!!

Great !

We keep the boat behind the house so we spend most every day on her for an hour or two. We go out for a few days each month durring the cooler season and durring the summer it is two or three times a month.

Lucky you to keep your boat behind your house. I envy you ! ?

Boat is a kilometer from the house. I have an unconventional job. Week on, week off. On my week off I am at the boat nearly every day. Don't always take it out though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom