View Poll Results: How much time do you spend on your boat?
Only able to occasionally get to the boat. 2 2.15%
Average 1 or 2 weekends a month. 9 9.68%
Spend at least one month a year plus some weekends. 10 10.75%
Weekends and vacations. 24 25.81%
Spend an entire season aboard. 11 11.83%
Full time liveaboard staying in one place. 4 4.30%
Full time liveaboard/cruiser traveling around. 13 13.98%
Boat is in the yard being built/rebuilt. 5 5.38%
Still looking for a boat. 1 1.08%
Other. Please explain. 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
This summer I was thinking about cruising up to Galveston with the entire family. Where would be a good marina to stay where we would have access to the fun parts of Galveston? We like the Strand area.
Harbor House would be the best. The problem is they only have about 8 slips to begin with and they have been leasing those out to commercial operators like "Dolphin Watch" and things like that. So for the summer you better book months in advance. During the week should not be an issue. The backup to that would be the Galveston Yacht Basin. They always have space but it would be a good long walk to the strand. We bring our bicycles and ride to the strand. That is where we are staying this weekend. A lot of times we will put a car down there and I think someone in our party will be doing that...a little easier when you are only 25 minutes away. The Nicest marina in Galveston would be Pelican Rest on Offatt's Bayou. But it is not walking distance from anything really. A very nice and very well run marina. We go there a lot during the summer. The restaurant there excellent but it shows in the prices....very high end grub...mostly a steak house with steaks on the menu upwards of $50. Harborwalk is another one in the area....very nice but in the middle of nowhere. They do have a nice bar and restaurant as well as a very nice pool area. We go there a few times a summer as well. Moody Gardens has about 12 slips. They have fireworks Friday AND Saturday during the summer. And you have access to all of the moody gardens "free" attractions...like the lazy river and waterslides and stuff. We actually do this at least once a summer but always have a blast. Depending on the age of your children, Moody Gardens would be a blast for younger ones. I guess we are hijacking....PM me if you want more info....or closer to your trip time!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We are full time livaboard for the past two years. We love the water and the life style. This summer will be the first BIG cruise to the "Inside Passage" from the Columbia River. Funny when we were on the hard last week neither of us were comfortable on the boat. Just couldn't get our land legs back.

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We have had Willy on the hard most of time we've been back from Alaska. (3yrs) Worked almost daily on her during the last 2/3rds of last summer (3+ months) and launced about mid September. Went to an Albin get-together at Mill Bay in Saanich Inlet near Sidny/Victoria. Four days underway. We also went to the Willard Rendezvous in Anacortes ... probably not even an hour underway. So our cruising hours have been extremly low since we left Alaska.

Then we listed Willy for sale on Craig's List and started to prepare her for a better effort at marketing next summer. Then we decided to keep her for at least another year. While showing her I discovered the anchor capstan wasn't working. Went to Surrey BC yesterday for service and bought a new winch .. same kind and type but much much differend and improved especially re noise, serviceability and design details. Got a scream'in deal re the weak Canadian dollar and the prototype (first few to be sold) and army green paint. Actually powder coat.

So now we'll continue to get her ready for cruising. Still want to go to the South Sound and do some early cruising in the Poulsbo-Bremerton area and lock through to Lake Washington to see what Willy actually does re speed. I think we can anchor in the south end of the lake by Seward Park.

We may soon decide to spend our time and money elsewhere (road trips and other travel) and part w Willy but I'm looking fwd to cruising this summer.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #24

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
We've been on the since Dec. 21st. Due to my med issues last year, we were off the boat for 9 months. We live close to 900 miles from the boat. We returned to the boat & everything worked. Since we are now staying on the boat full time, we've been getting flack from the marina, that we are live a boards. We have been doing a lot of upgrades to the old girl. Bottom line she's not been used much. Last year we took her out for a few runs, nothing great, just up & down the Columbia River. Buying an auto-helm. Ordered a new exhaust elbow for the port Lehman 120. It blew out a few days ago while teaching my wife how to do a cold start.

We have not lost sight of our dream of going to Mexico. New issues are raising their ugly heads because we are not in Mexico. Bottom needs attention & zincs. Last year we had installed two line cutters per shaft, due to an incident. We wanted the bottom done in Mexico where they use the good stuff. So yes we are on the boat butt we're not putting miles on here like we want to. One nail at a time.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
We've been on the since Dec. 21st. Due to my med issues last year, we were off the boat for 9 months. We live close to 900 miles from the boat. We returned to the boat & everything worked. Since we are now staying on the boat full time, we've been getting flack from the marina, that we are live a boards. We have been doing a lot of upgrades to the old girl. Bottom line she's not been used much. Last year we took her out for a few runs, nothing great, just up & down the Columbia River. Buying an auto-helm. Ordered a new exhaust elbow for the port Lehman 120. It blew out a few days ago while teaching my wife how to do a cold start.

We have not lost sight of our dream of going to Mexico. New issues are raising their ugly heads because we are not in Mexico. Bottom needs attention & zincs. Last year we had installed two line cutters per shaft, due to an incident. We wanted the bottom done in Mexico where they use the good stuff. So yes we are on the boat butt we're not putting miles on here like we want to. One nail at a time.
Keep plugging away and keep the faith you will go!!!! We are currently on the lower Columbia River.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Last year we probably only put about 75-80 hours on her. We put in a pool a couple of years ago and that has seriously cut into the boating time.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #27
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Not since November of 2014. I guess that's going to happen over the decades of living on board. But it sucks IMO. I expect 2016 will be much unsucky.

However I did a ton of boat camping in the little boat. I enjoyed that, alot.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #28

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I voted Other, We only had the boat out 5 times last year. We got the boat running in August and had folks out with us each time having lots of fun. The dog loves it too, lol. I have spent an average of 3 days a week on the boat working to get it ready for regular use/living aboard cruising the loop in a year or two. In that sense I'm a lot like AusCan right now.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
We are pretty much full time during the season, and part time off season. 2 years ago we cruised Galveston to NY. Last year we concentrated on Charleston to NY. This year will start the season by going from Charleston to Savannah in March.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Last year we probably only put about 75-80 hours on her. We put in a pool a couple of years ago and that has seriously cut into the boating time.
And you, sir, are the main reason why I still have $50k in my pocket. I have the dream of a pool. But in reality, I am on the boat as much as I can be. So the pool would just be nice to look at. And the marina has a nice pool anyway so I can just use it!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #31
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Funny, we went through he same evolution. Got a quote for about 50k for a pool and then realized we'd rather be at the boat or someone else pool.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And you, sir, are the main reason why I still have $50k in my pocket. I have the dream of a pool. But in reality, I am on the boat as much as I can be. So the pool would just be nice to look at. And the marina has a nice pool anyway so I can just use it!!!

Thanks!!!!

My wife likes our pool more than the boat. SMH.

😢
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
My wife likes our pool more than the boat. SMH.

😢
Wifey B: That's sick....a little tiny pool vs a pool the size of oceans. All you can play with in your pool is little tiny remote controlled boats.

Just kidding as we all have different tastes.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Noank
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
We typically spend 3 to 4 nights a week May - September plus 1 month of cruising vacation.
AvalonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
So many times during discussions people are adamant that the way they do something is the RIGHT way and can't understand why someone else does it differently. There are so many different uses and places to use a boat that most times there is more than one right answer. I thought it might be interesting to see how different members use their boats so I came up with the above poll.

For the sake of the poll please use the last 12 months for your answer, not what you want or hope to do (we all have dreams).
I hope you are also figuring on people who might have lived aboard and cruised extensively for 40 years but now just boat on weekends....may do things differently than other newbie weekend boaters because they really fall into a different category...but based on the last 12 month limitation??????
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
psneeld,
This is getting to be a habit of yours ... insulting newbies. A newbie here on TF often is a very experienced boater. You probably should say people new to boating if that's what you mean .. and I hope you do. But the newbies here on TF probably aren't thrilled being called stupid.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Considering how many newbies call themselves newbies when they first log on TF ...I seriously doubt they are all that insulted.

What is insulting is your incessant posting that people should think like you...very disturbing.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
psneeld,
This is getting to be a habit of yours ... insulting newbies. A newbie here on TF often is a very experienced boater. You probably should say people new to boating if that's what you mean .. and I hope you do. But the newbies here on TF probably aren't thrilled being called stupid.
Y'all help me out here???
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Y'all help me out here???
Wifey B: I'm glad you're not the only one confused. Thought I was having a blonde moment. Don't even know who psneeld is alleged to have insulted this time.

Going for popcorn. Anyone else want any? Not really. Too late for popcorn. it's after midnight here. This Atlantic Time messes things up.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #40
Enigma

City: Slicker?