Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #21

City: Oakland,Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
From Memorial Day through early October 2013 we ran our 1800 Ryobi maybe 3 hours total. Much of that was to clean up using my little shop vac from time to time. I have gone propane for cooking, grilling and a propane coffee maker. We have a large 5 gallon sun shower which also provides hot water for dishes. We use an icebox instead of fridge. Our two 6v and xantrex inverter power a table lamp, stereo with rechargeable battery and led table lamp, as well as charge phones and tablet. We can go 4 nites easy without a charge. I realize it it is not for everyone, but wifey is happy enough and it sets a low maintenance example for our toddler daughter going forward.
Al, if you could, can you send me a picture of your cooler set up for the Honda?
Tell me more about the propane coffee maker. I can't live without coffee.....

Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm curious about the "propane coffee maker..." Any more info?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Coleman - 10-Cup Portable Propane Coffeemaker with Stainless Steel Carafe

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I have a portable butane single burner stove for making coffee quietly in the mornings. You can either perk it, or use a drip filter like I do. In nice weather I will set it up in the cockpit. Gives us all quiet time with no rustling around in the galley.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I have a portable butane single burner stove for making coffee quietly in the mornings. You can either perk it, or use a drip filter like I do. In nice weather I will set it up in the cockpit. Gives us all quiet time with no rustling around in the galley.

Don - TY for posting this.

What retail outlet or retail website you get yours from? Coffee is an addiction I enjoy and have no problem with!! As I get up early and do not start genny till others awake this little ditty may come in handy! How long one of the butane canisters last for boiling pot sof water?

Best, Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Don - TY for posting this.

What retail outlet or retail website you get yours from? Coffee is an addiction I enjoy and have no problem with!! As I get up early and do not start genny till others awake this little ditty may come in handy! How long one of the butane canisters last for boiling pot sof water?

Best, Art
Art, I bought mine on line for a low price. Just do a google search for butane portable stove. It came with a hard plastic case, and I ordered a carton of 6 fuel canisters. It burns hot so heats up quickly. I'm happy with it, and Miss Lou is happy to not be disturbed by my working around the galley. When weather is not good I make it on the wet bar on the helm deck.

I love the early mornings at anchor. Hearing the sounds, and watching the sun come up while having a good cup of coffee is such a pleasure.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:

Nice . Yea I guess all captains are always up and at it first .I like my coffee a bunch also .Get mine shipped direct to me from Louisianna . 10 lbs a month . I'm in a coffee club .10% off and free shipping .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Nice . Yea I guess all captains are always up and at it first .I like my coffee a bunch also .Get mine shipped direct to me from Louisianna . 10 lbs a month . I'm in a coffee club .10% off and free shipping .
Community Coffee?

By the way, I was eating at Paul Prudhomme's Kay-Paul's restaurant in NO. The coffee was outstanding. I asked what kind they use. It was Community Coffee that could be bought off the store shelf. I really like it.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Based on the current postings we run ours a bit more then average, we have 5.5kw Northern Lights with no sound shield. Exhaust is rather quiet given the gen is forward of the engine room with the water lift muffler so it needs to travel the length of the boat out the stern, which seems to quiet it down more then other boats I've heard, you will hear the blushoosh once in a while, but we never run at night either. 2-3 hours in the morning and another 3 hours in the evening. We have 110 refrig/freez/stove/oven/coffee/hotwater/ipad phone chargers etc. It averages .4-.5 per hour fuel consumption so don't really feel bad running it since there always seems to be a load on it from something.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Yep community that's it .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=Moonstruck;266326]Art, I bought mine on like for a low price. Just do a google search for butane portable stove. It came with a hard plastic case, and I ordered a carton of 6 fuel canisters. It burns hot so heats up quickly. I'm happy with it, and Miss Lou is happy to not be disturbed by my working around the galley. When weather is not good I make it on the wet bar on the helm deck.

I love the early mornings at anchor. Hearing the sounds, and watching the sun come up while having a good cup of coffee is such a pleasure.[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

MOF - I like waking very-early every morning... each day offers the last chance for that day we'll ever have. IMO - Best for us all to get all-of-it while we can!

My standard sched: Bed and asleep by 10, up and at em by 5 +/-. Going to sleep takes me seconds and at upon waking it's seconds to when I rise. I don't use alarm clocks.

Happy Life Daze! - Art
Old 09-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #32
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Boating without coffee for me is like boating without a boat!..makes no sense at all
Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Boating without coffee for me is like boating without a boat!..makes no sense at all
WOW!!! Guess that sums it up!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

My standard sched: Bed and asleep by 10, up and at em by 5 +/-. Going to sleep takes me seconds and at upon waking it's seconds to when I rise. I don't use alarm clocks.

Happy Life Daze! - Art
You gotta be kidding, Art. You know guys of a certain age have no need for an alarm clock.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #35
Art
Guru

Quote:
You gotta be kidding, Art. You know guys of a certain age have no need for an alarm clock.

Sure , Don - I was Just Kidding! I bed by 3 AM and wake by 1 PM = NOT (since late teens anyway)!!

Exactly what does that innuendo "... guys of a certain age..." actually relate toooo?? LOL... I'm 38 and holden on tight!

I love it when my eyes Pop-Open around 4 to 4:30 AM... Man, that gets my mind racing with feet soon moving on ground - Heading quickly to perk first Cup O' Coffee while opening computer!! God bless computers... and I do mean that... GOD bless computers!! They are a man-made extension of and from our God-made brains. See, we are "in likeness"... in that we too can create, but, to a very limited extent compared to The Creator. There's a couple contention-filled threads bout this sort o' stuff in OTDE -

My 8th grade Social Studies teacher, "Miss Whalen" firmly implanted into our minds that some day most things in world would be computer driven; and, we all would eventually use computers. She was a really good teacher and always provided insightful info for us to ponder. In my mind's eye, I can still clearly see her at head of class putting diagrams on chalk board (boy that dates me - lol) in relation to the path computers would take in our world. She was pretty darn spot-on! Her insights nearly always caught my attention.

Hope she had a great life!! And, it's still continuing...
Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cleveland
Exactly what does that innuendo "... guys of a certain age..." actually relate toooo?? LOL... I'm 38 and holden on tight!

Thanks Art. I needed a good laugh today!

Happy cruising to you and your me Irish Brother!

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #37
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Coming late on the subject of running a generator to find we are all having a Starbuck!! Talk about thread creep!

Damn I do enjoy all you young (38 plus) mariners chat

Here I thought all were old "Sea Briskets" a sitting. spitting, and a whittling telling sea stories staying away from our "Admirals chores.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #38

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
FlyWright nailed it. The Coleman drip coffee maker is our choice. Could use an insulated carafe, but this little beast does not use a ton of propane.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Coming late on the subject of running a generator to find we are all having a Starbuck!! Talk about thread creep!

Damn I do enjoy all you young (38 plus) mariners chat

Here I thought all were old "Sea Briskets" a sitting. spitting, and a whittling telling sea stories staying away from our "Admirals chores.

Al

Hi Al Back to gen-set use thread reality... coming from a 38 yr old and "holden" with a 42 yr son - LOL

We generally use our gen 1 hr +/- in morn for batt charge, hot water heat, fridge cool-down, computer/phone/other-gadget charge and elect stove COFFEE!! In eve often same time span that gen runs for similar needs. I'd say we average 2 hrs per day and use 1.25 to 1.75 gal gasoline each day. I don't start gen early nor let her run late... common courtesy - don't cha know!

The Butane coffee water heat source Don gave link interests me for early morning coffee with no bother to others. I've already looked at several similar brands/models and will probably purchase one soon.

Happy Daze! - Art
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gave up my camping stuff a long time ago. Now I just plug in the 4 cup Cusinart drip coffee maker. Gotta use that inverter for something while the genset and wife are sleeping.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote