Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
In my opinion looking at soldboat data, or listening to someone who's paycheck is influenced by the purchase price is the complete wrong way to go in determining offer price.

The first step in my opinion is to determine the maximum you would be willing to pay for that particular boat today. This is when to use soldboat data.

The next step is to research the seller and determine to the best of your ability how much you think you can get them to actually sell the boat for.

Then make an offer.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Dhays - As noted by other posters here, this was quite the profound comment:
"I have found from past experience is that obsessing about whether or not I have gotten the "best" price possible only leads to unhappiness."

Many thanks for that. I found your wisdom to be most useful this evening, though on a completely different subject from buying a boat. Cheers!
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
PS

In his first post he indicates interest in a 45 foot 15 or so year old vessel selling for around $250K. He should be able to locate several very nice boats in that price range in the WA and BC area. I quickly looked at both Irwin and Banana Belt and found at least 20 that are in the size and price range the OP desires. All well beyond a fixer upper I'd guess.
Sorry I wasn't clear...smitty and you are correct. A tiny disagreement in evaluation of condition or equipment can be a lot of money.

I just threw that note on as an add on that advice from shoppers will be all over the spectrum too .....depending what price range and condition of boats they are looking at and willing to accept.

Kinds like the old adage that ....the only rule is there are no rules.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
I paid a few grand more than I thought I should have for Lunasea. BUT the boat was just what we wanted. Right boat, near by, all was right. We gave the few thousand extra rather than say we should have. Sometimes spending a few thousand extra is worth it. IMO
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
I've had different results using Soldboats.com. To me, the actual sale price is, to an extent, indicative of the condition. Also is the time it took to sell (soldboats will tell you the month it was listed and the month it was sold). Soldboats keeps the listings, so you can see the pictures to confirm anomalies in the data (if one boat sold for $20k less than others and took 2 years to sell, you can probably see why).

I was able to get about 7 years of nationwide data, able to slice and dice the numbers to see how asking prices had changed over time, the PNW premium on asking prices, the asking prices for the same year boat I was looking at plus one year either side. And then do the same data crunching for selling price. And then take into account how long it took to sell.

In my case, my offer was accepted right away, was considered reasonable and not insulting, and I had the data in hand to back up why I offered what I offered. Hard for a seller to argue with actual sales data.

And if they're not willing to look at the real data you have in hand, you probably have an unreasonable seller on your hands and will probably have lots of problems throughout the entire purchasing process.
Patemey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #26

City: Langley BC
Vessel Name: Summer Wind
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
So much good information and thoughtful opinions here and I never knew about soldboats.com prior to posting my questions. Thank you all so much!
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
Guru

City: Northport
"I've had different results using Soldboats.com. To me, the actual sale price is, to an extent, indicative of the condition. Also is the time it took to sell (soldboats will tell you the month it was listed and the month it was sold). Soldboats keeps the listings, so you can see the pictures to confirm anomalies in the data (if one boat sold for $20k less than others and took 2 years to sell, you can probably see why)."

Patemey - How would a typical boat buyer complete these tasks?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #28
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
So much good information and thoughtful opinions here and I never knew about soldboats.com prior to posting my questions. Thank you all so much!
Either your surveyor or broker can get soldboats data for you. I think I pay about $600Cdn for access
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Back in 2012 I was looking at a 1999 model boat, so with soldboat.com data I put together the following table. It at least gave me an idea of where the market had been and where the market was going.

(Table formatting can't be done here, so bear with me on the list below)
Below categories, I calculated values for both asking price and selling price, and then made the related comments
average of all boats of this type model
average of all 3-year range (1998 thru 2000)
average of all 1999's
average of all sales in 2010
average of all sales in 2011 (comment: on average, 2011 sales declined by ~$x from 2010)
average of all PNW's
average of all non-PNW's (comment on average, PNW boat sales have a premium of $x)
average of all sales in 2010 of 3-year range
average of all sales in 2011 of 3-year range (comment: on average, 2011 sales declined by ~$x from 2010)
average of 1999s sold in 2010
average of 1999s sold in 2011 (comment: on average, '99's sold for $x less from 2010 to 2011)
Patemey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
I strongly agree that the web gives people a distorted idea of condition and therefore value. They all look great in pix but many don't stand up in person
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Great suggestions indeed. I am getting ready to potentially make another offer and these have all been solid approaches to real world experiences. It's funny I had a broker today ask, why are you looking at XYZ $$ when your budget is lower. My answer, you truly never know what a sellers motivation level is and what they are willing to entertain. I am a serious buyer, having owned power boats from 22-34 and ready for my next cruiser with 2 staterooms. I have put my finances in order so not to waist my time, the sellers or brokers. When it comes by - I'll make another offer of what I feel the boat is worth considering condition, value to me, updates/upgrades needed or repairs which are known to be needed.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
bshillam

Logical approach. Good hunting!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #33
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Stan,you are both a seller and a buyer. What % would you put on top of what you really want for your boat? There is usually something so buyers think they got a deal, but there are boats advertised here as "not negotiable" or "firm", not common but it happens, and they still sell.
I don`t think there is an accepted " negotiation margin" percentage. It`s as variable as sellers themselves. Even accessing "solds" requires a handle on condition to make the sale price comparable, your boat may be better or worse, so sale data still needs human input adjustment to be an accurate guide. And there are desperation sales, which can mislead.
There is a saying "quality endures after price is forgotten". Be prepared to pay for quality, it may save you $ in the longer run. Don`t assume a price is padded but equally, don`t overpay. As you look at boats of a certain make, age, and condition you will get a feel for price, more so if you can get access to "sold" prices.
I wish you well with both the sale and the purchase.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #34
Guru

City: Northport
- Doing research on the best boat to fill your needs is the primary goal. Buying a boat 'twice' because the first one missed the mark is the largest cost.
- The cost of any boat is not just the acquisition cost but the cost to acquire, move .repair and upgrade to your needs. Do not let one of these become the only factor you look at.
- A good deal is rarely a cheap deal and a cheap deal is rarely a good deal. Condition is a large factor and you are buying the previous owners as much as the boat. Consider the records, information and treatment of the boat and the machinery as part of your purchase - it will pat later on for sure.

I have recently seen what happens when people only look at internet pricing and lists and are more concerned about dockside bragging rights on pries rather than the reasons they spurred them into the market in the first place.
Good luck and by all means have fun
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #35

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Soldboats.com is great for boats less than 7 years old. After that the key factors are condition, condition and condition.
I have never been able to determine a percentage from listing price the boat will sell for. Buying a boat is an emotional decision not just dollars and cents. A seller that personally did most of the work may be insulted by an offer, the same boat that was yard maintained my not have the attachment by the seller.
Time on the market is critical, sellers are more open to offers as time goes by.