Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Speaking of price, a lot of library systems (like King County here in the Seattle Area) are linked in to the e-book system so you can " borrow" books from the library to read on your Kindle (and I assume all the other e-readers, too). And it's free. If it's a popular book you have to wait for it sometimes, which has always baffled me since it's a digital file, not an actual book. So you would think they could have ten zillion copies of a popular book if they wanted to with a few taps on a mouse button.

So I don't get the waiting list thing for an e-book, but regardless, if you live near a library system that has this kind of program you can borrow e-books for free. I believe you have to have a library card of some sort.

We've only done it once to see how it works. It did, but at the time the interface and process was kind of clunky so we haven't bothered with it since. My video crew uses the library a lot to get books for their Kindles so I'm guessing the process has been greatly improved.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I can't relate to any of this except possibly books that don't have the copy in the right place on the page so one can't see words on the end or beginning of a sentence.
I've never had that happen on the Kindle. I have come across places where whoever digitized the book screwed up and used a wrong word or something. But it's always easy to figure out what the correct word should have been from the context. This seems to be less and less of an occurrence as e-books garner more and more popularity.

Quote:
Can one plug the Kindle into a cigarette lighter and charge or read as charging takes place?
Yes, and you can read while it's recharging from an AC outlet, too. With "normal" use (whatever the hell that is) a Kindle can go several weeks before needing recharging. I use mine a lot, often with the LED light on the case turned on which draws power from the Kindle, and every time I have to recharge it I can't remember the last time I recharged it. As opposed to an iPad which with constant use won't make it through a day.

Quote:
What does the Kindle cost and where can I pick one up in person? I know I can get a Nook at Barnes and Noble but the Kindle???
Don't know the current prices. Just get on Amazon.com and you'll find all this information.

As to seeing one in person, I know that Best Buy usually has all the popular e-readers on display so you can compare them in person. That's where we bought ours.

In your general vicinity there are Best Buy stores in Bellingham, Burlington, Marysville and Everett. I would guess the Burlington store would be the closest to you.

So far as I know, Kindles are not discounted in price by anyone. Whether you buy it in a store or buy it directly from Amazon.com, the cost is the same.

They have several models these days. Personally, I recommend getting a wifi-cellular model instead of a wifi only model. Assuming things are the same today as when we bought ours a few years ago. the cellular model does not require an actual cellular account like with AT&T or anyone. It has an exclusive cellular "account" with Amazon.

So when you turn the cellular on, it will connect automatically with Amazon no matter where you are on the planet as long as there is a cellular signal. So you can get into Amazon's bookstore and search for books or browse around and if you find one you want you can download it right then. This cellular service is free no matter where you are on the globe, but of course all it connects to is Amazon.

We never use the wifi in our Kindles, only the cellular connection. We leave it off unless we actually want to look for or download a book since the cellular connection uses power.

You pay more for the wifi-cellular models but in our opinions it's worth it because you can connect to the bookstore from just about anywhere.

You can get on the internet with a Kindle e-reader but at least with the older ones it's probably the most clunky, slow, limited and worthless process on the planet. So we never bother with it. We have iPads and iPhones for that. The newer Kindles may be better in this respect, I don't know.

PS-- And Eric, if you do get a Kindle I will recommend your first book. Get "The Boys in the Boat." It's terrific.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Marin, you've just about said it all for me as well, re this eBook thing, although I just have it on the iPad. I like my pad being all those other things as well, including nav, so only have to cart one item around. However, it's in bed reading with the light out, so as not to bother the spouse it comes into its own in many ways. I get around the battery life thing and the backlight glare by using it almost exclusively in the night mode, where you can adjust the brightness, but it's white print on black background. After a time I even gave up using the sepia day version, as you get so used to it in the night mode.

Someone asked if you can have them on charge while reading - definitely yes to all models or readers or pads as far as I know.

As to issues reading in direct sunlight…I don't know why anyone would want to read in direct sunlight anyway, but as long as the sun is not shining directly on the screen it is not an issue with the iPad anyway. Even less so in the white on black mode.

I just wish these had become available before we accumulated soooo many paper books. At least its cutting down the speed they are growing somewhat.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
As to issues reading in direct sunlight…I don't know why anyone would want to read in direct sunlight anyway,...
Here's a classic example we see all the time. Riding on a plane. Guy pulls out his iPad and begins to read. Girl across the aisle in the window seat opens her shade so she can look at the view. Big beam of light comes through the window and hits the guy's iPad square on the screen. He's done reading and puts it away.

If he had been reading a Kindle, all that would have happened is that it would have gotten even easier to read.

I don't like reading a book on a backlit screen. It's too hard on the eyes. And we have been hearing recently about studies that say that using a computer, iPad, TV, anything with a backlit screen before going to bed can make it very difficult to go to sleep or get good sleep. Something about the effect the backlit pixelated screen has on one's brain activity. By it's very nature, it's too stimulating.

A Kindle, at least the "magic ink" versions of the Kindle, don't have this effect apparently.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:24 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
I never got used to my Nook. Sue loves hers. I guess I just like the feel of a book in my hands. That may have to change when we cruise if the fleet is exchanging e-books.
Exchanging e-books is now very common among the Caribbean cruisers. Legal issues are ignored.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
...a lot of library systems (like King County here in the Seattle Area) are linked in to the e-book system so you can " borrow" books from the library to read on your Kindle (and I assume all the other e-readers, too). And it's free. If it's a popular book you have to wait for it sometimes, which has always baffled me since it's a digital file, not an actual book. So you would think they could have ten zillion copies of a popular book if they wanted to with a few taps on a mouse button.

So I don't get the waiting list thing for an e-book, but regardless, if you live near a library system that has this kind of program you can borrow e-books for free. I believe you have to have a library card of some sort...
The library system is great. We can be anywhere and access books via the internet.

I asked a librarian though why the limited number of digital issues and she said it was the same as books in print. The library "buys" a set number of copies of particular book, text or digital.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #47
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I like the male cigarette lighter gizmos with the USB ports. If there are two, one usually charges at a faster rate. Thus I'm never without power for the Kindle. But mine generally is recharged once a day -- have I mentioned I read a lot?!?

Mine is on right now as a matter of fact. Between page loads on the computer I'm reading. Well, right now I've got nonograms up (it's a logic game that settles my mind much like the old Sherlock did in the days of Win95 through WinME) and active.

I'm on day four writing a piece on the cooling system and it's still not satisfactory. The Kindle helps keep my sanity. Honestly, I don't know how I ever managed without it.

And I'm very glad I did not get the Kidlet's old Nook. Hers, one of the first generation units, is very heavy. I would not have wanted to hold that whereas the Kindle is lighter than a paperback.

Plus a Kindle is like StarTrek -- imagine having five hundred books with you at all times?!? Life does not get much better. I started reading when I was three so books are an important part of my life.

All that said, I do not want Calder's on my Kindle. Being able to write notes in the margins and flip through the pages is more comfortable for me with the hard-cover. Ditto my bird and shell books. Flipping the pages is easier for me to spot the bird I'm trying to identify.

Like others mentioned, sorting and searching on the Kindle could be better. You really must know the first word of the title and for a series? Well, I could search all day for Mammoth Hunters, book 3 in Jean Auel's series. However if I didn't know the Cave Bear series was titled Earth's Children I'd still be lost.

These are quirks however they are not deal breakers. And book (plus DVD) swap shelves are in any marinas. That hasn't changed.

And having that Amazon connection is nifty as all get out.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #48
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I have an old e-ink Kindle, and it's great for books downloaded via the library, even when I'm wandering around SE Alaska. Also for ordering a book I've heard about via radio or another cruiser.

But I always take along a dozen or so real books from the used book store, and exchange them when finished with them, at the harbor office bookshelf - kinda fun, and you never know what you'll find.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #49
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I see no-one has chimed in from Canada. Unfortunately, the cost here is too high to really justify them. I believe a lot of it still works out to copyright issues. I purchased them for my kids years ago from the States, before they were available in Canada. A bit ironically, as I worked at a paper mill that makes newsprint and book grade (paperback) paper at the time. As it turned out, outside of free content the cost of purchasing a newer book was 20% higher than the equivalent paperback, if it was even available.

That said, my kids did use them on the boat all the time. Although one Kindle did get squished onboard.

I fly a lot. Now that airlines are allowing small electronics to be used gate to gate, E-readers would make sense to me as a commuter. But it still comes down to cost and selection. I have a few books as backup on my Android tablet as Google books has some great sales at times, but none on my I-pad. Both of which have the Kindle and Kobo aps.

Is it the same in Australia?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #50

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Nice thing about using the Kindle app on a tablet. You can quickly look up things on the web. I'm currently reading a novel that has a Boeing 314 Clipper as a primary player. It's great to be able to quickly look up photos/info while reading the novel on my iPad.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I see no-one has chimed in from Canada. Unfortunately, the cost here is too high to really justify them. I believe a lot of it still works out to copyright issues.
So I'm confused. I've downloaded books to my Kindle while traveling in Canada and it is no different than downloading books in China, Australia, Europe or at home. Same connection (cellular), same "bookstore," same prices.

Is it because I have a US account?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #52
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Is it because I have a US account?
Yup.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #53
Scraping Paint

Ahhh. So if you have a kid in the US you get a Kindle, put it on his or her account, buy whatever you wanted without the Canadian price penalty, pay the kid back for what you bought (or not), and nobody would be the wiser, right?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #54
TF Site Team

People are getting up to all those kinds of tricks to get around this favoured status the US seems to have re things purchased on the iNet. The same applies for say Apple products. We always pay more than the US, even though purchased from a US site, and that's allowing for the exchange rate and delivery charges. The second that you use a non-US account, the price jumps. It's totally unfair, but hard to get around without resorting to tricks like Marin suggested. Ie a 'friend' in the US, with US account.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The second that you use a non-US account, the price jumps. It's totally unfair, but hard to get around without resorting to tricks like Marin suggested. Ie a 'friend' in the US, with US account.
Can I work it the other way? Like, can I use my friends in the UK to get me free health care? That would be way cool.

In all the work I done all over the world and meeting people and observing what's going on across the planet I've come to the conclusion that in the end, it all works out pretty equally for everyone within the basic poor, middle class, and wealthy categories.

You and Spy have to pay more for Kindle books, I have to pay more for health care. You have to pay more for fuel, I have to pay more for stupid projects like light rail and and ineptly-run things like highway tunnels that don't work and stadiums we don't need.

And so it goes.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #56
TF Site Team

I don't think you can compare the relative costs of services and infrastructure with simple products which are the same wherever you use them. Sure the former items tend to have a swings and roundabouts evening effect, but what does seem a bit on the nose is when say a simple iPad, made for Apple in China anyway, costs more bought over the internet in Australia, by a significant margin, than in the US, when ordered using and Aussie card account, but if ordered from Australia using a US card account, it is cheaper, although ordered and obtained from the same source, and even when the exchange rate was significantly in our favour for some time. Certainly not the case now, so the exporters are cockahoop...

Tags
e-book