Old 05-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
How many hours do you typically drive a day?

How many hours do you typically drive in a day to reach your destination? I calculated about 10 to reach Merrit Island from Palm Coast at 8 knots. I can adjust the speed, but prefer not to run over 10 knots.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Guru

Not sure about that particular trip but on the ICW it pays to figure in time for bridge openings. We always adjusted run speed to put us in the vicinity of a particular bridge just before opening time. Since we typically ran at 7kt on the ICW, this usually meant slowing down to match time to our GPS bridge waypoint !! But it was far preferable to milling around with a crowd of boats in front of a closed bridge!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Guru

Pesky bridges!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We run at 7 knots and aim for 50 miles a day. Some days we only go 30 miles and some days we go 80 miles. Over the years we seem to average about 30 miles per day when you include stopping and exploring lots of interesting islands, towns and villages.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Guru

I don't plan on stopping unless something needs to be serviced. I am looking to get down to Stwart in less than 3 days to make the crossing.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Our trips are generally off shore, and usually vary between 100 and 1200 nm. In those circumstances, we run the boat 24/7, usually at a fast trolling speed of about 8.5 knots. We won't ordinarily exceed 10 knots. Once on the offshore grounds, we will often sea anchor for a few nights, but that requires a watch. Our crew is usually 6 or 7, and at night we always have two on watch, so we each spend about 6 hours a day at the helm, usually in two hour shifts.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Two to three hours at approximately 6 knots for us if we are planning to anchor. We typically boat every other week as my wife and I are not retired like most folks on the forum. If not anchoring, we will cruise for about four hours or so until returning to the Marina.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Meritt Island as in the Canaveral area?

Easy 3 days even at 6.3 knots.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Its usually just my wife and I so 10 hours is about our limit unless we're pressing on with an overnight run, but that means setting up a watch, etc. I'd say our average is 6-7 hours and 50ish miles.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Guru

We don't have a set number of hours. My "preference" is 5 to 6 max but we have done many 10 + hour running days.
We even did a couple of 10 minute running days when we cruised the Canadian canals. LOL It helps to NOT have a schedule.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Okay--I misunderstood your question... I generally prefer no more than eight to nine hours... After that, we are looking forward to docking or anchoring.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
We run at 7 knots and aim for 50 miles a day. Some days we only go 30 miles and some days we go 80 miles. Over the years we seem to average about 30 miles per day when you include stopping and exploring lots of interesting islands, towns and villages.
Cruising the Inside Passage, we do much the same in our 37.

Our 26-footer ran mostly at 6 knots, and averaged 30-40 nm/day if we were underway. Could do a 10-12 hour day in the 26, but it was considerably more tiring.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

City: Camarillo
Smile How many hours a day

The key I feel is that you depart & arrive at any unknown anchorages during day light hours !

I can leave or arrive at my home port in the middle of the night as I have local knowledge & know it like the back of my hand.

However, at a port or marina or anchorage that I am un-familiar with, I only enter & leave during daylight hours.

Cruise speed is a factor of fuel consumption & your time constraints.

I personally prefer to cruise at 8 knots. For an 8 hour day that is 64 miles.

10 hours day is 80 miles & 12 hour day is 96 miles, etc....

So coming into May & June you have reliable 10 to 12 hours of day light per day. More on June 21st - the longest day for us here in USA & of course this changes with your latitude for your exact location. Alaska has some areas with 20 hours of daylight & more.

Bridges are a pain & you need to change your speed to synchronize your arrival to arrive like 5 minutes before opening. This often required you to slow to 5 or 6 knots. But that is better then milling around with a bunch of other boats all in a tight area waiting for bridge to open.

Some areas are no wake zones - so you have to slow to 5 knots for these as well. So research the route fully & go from there.

good luck on your trip & have fun.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
For me it's all dependent on weather since I don't have the choices that many of you have for marinas and safe anchorages. I usually head south where there is one marina 8 hours away and another 12 hours away. After that it's all anchorages so it depends on wind and swell. If the wind is cooperating there's a safe anchorage every couple hours so it's easy to break up a trip into 6-8 hour days. But I always have to be ready for a trip to the leeward side of the island or peninsula which could mean a much longer than expected day. In some areas I don't like anchoring in the dark and prefer to run in deeper water and anchor at first light.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51
In our years of cruising, we have found that more than 5or 6 hours is tiring. We try to be at anchor and secured by 3:30, stuff stored by 4:00 and watching the sun go down by 5:00. By the way, we are at Stuart, and at Sunset Bay Marine, which is a true bit of heaven.
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
In our years of cruising, we have found that more than 5or 6 hours is tiring. We try to be at anchor and secured by 3:30, stuff stored by 4:00 and watching the sun go down by 5:00
That's pretty much the schedule we use. At 8 knots we can cover 40 to 45 miles a day, depending on bridges and locks. We could double that if we had to, but what's the rush?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Two parameters: one depends on weather and two, depends on if we can use the auto pilot. Since we generally cruise the Bahamas the first day is long and we want to get there over oceans to clear customs, sometimes 8-12 hours. Once we arrive we might only move a few miles a day at slow speeds just enjoying all the islands, swimming, walking the islands, ect. Once we ran 13 hours to avoid a hurricane that followed us halfway back to Florida.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: 6 to 8 hours, Donna. We undock 95% of the time no later than 7 AM. That allows us to stop early to mid afternoon. Enjoy the destination a bit. Relax. Eat. Start again refreshed tomorrow.

However, Palm Coast to Merritt is only a bit over 75 nm and you have no desire to stop on the way. At 8 knots, that's an easy 10 hour run which this time of year is rather easy. I'd do it in a day. 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM and still plenty of day left. To me the key is the start. Everything should be done the night before. You should hit the deck and dock at 6:30 and be gone by 7:00. We don't get up early at home but we do on the water. We eat breakfast on the way. Makes the day much better. You'll have a lot of daylight left at Merritt.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
WifeyB

My preferred time to leave is first light, usually the wind is lighter early and builds during the day. Advantage.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
WifeyB

My preferred time to leave is first light, usually the wind is lighter early and builds during the day. Advantage.
Wifey B: We often leave at first light or somewhere in between. But no later than 7:00 AM is our mantra. This time of year, I think she could probably leave as early as 6:00 AM. Wind isn't really much of an issue on the path she's taking in the ICW.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote