View Poll Results: Hours per day cruising. Total engine hours divided by days cruised
I average less than 0.5 hours per day 2 5.26%
I average 0.5 to 1.0 hours per day 1 2.63%
I average 1.0 to 1.5 hours per day 0 0%
I average 1.5 to 2.0 hours per day 2 5.26%
I average 2.0 to 2.5 hours per day 4 10.53%
I average 2.5 to 3.0 hours per day 5 13.16%
I average 3.0 to 3.5 hours per day 3 7.89%
I average 3.5 to 4.0 hours per day 7 18.42%
I average 4.0 to 5.0 hours per day 4 10.53%
I average more than 5.0 hours per day 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
How many hours a day do you average....

This came up in another thread. Now the calculation we're interest in is hours cruised divided by days. Take all the engine hours in a year and divide that by the days cruised. A day cruised is any day you leave your home dock. It does count as a day cruised even if you return to where you started and you include the days anchored and in slips along the way.

Our calculation for 2015 was like this. By the definition above, we cruised 264 days in 2015. That doesn't mean we moved all those. About half of them we didn't move. We put 1007 hours on engines. So, 1007/264 is 3.8 hours per day. To us that was a reasonable pace based on the areas we cruised.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Typical day outing is between three and four hours. Has ranged to a maximum of eight.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #3

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Last summer worked out to 4.7 hours per day.

Cruised from Anacortes to Ketchikan to Haida Gwaii to Olympia to Anacortes. 73 days underway and 344.22 engine hours. There were a few days I didn't move that aren't reported, but the average would still be over 4 hours per day.

Winter cruising days are usually much shorter.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Last summer worked out to 4.7 hours per day.

Cruised from Anacortes to Ketchikan to Haida Gwaii to Olympia to Anacortes. 73 days underway and 344.22 engine hours. There were a few days I didn't move that aren't reported, but the average would still be over 4 hours per day.

Winter cruising days are usually much shorter.
I counted days not moved.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
About 12 seconds to date. :-)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Math gives me a headache.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Last year we did almost exactly 100 hours, so about 20 mins per day. This year (since March) we've got 100 hrs already. Hopefully we get to 1 hour per day average
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Our day trips are usually 3-4 hours. Weekend trips tend to be a bit longer but I only figured the days moving, not days spent on the hook.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I think it is a great question. I have a very small sample so far (only three short trips) but so far it is about 4 hrs per day.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Last Tuesday 6 hours
Thursday 20 minutes
Friday 1 hour total 30 minutes to secrete fishing spot and back to the marina its so secrete the fish don't even know its there
Saturday Marina from 9am to 11pm
Sunday 30 minutes marina to mooring and back
Today 40 minutes

We don't need to go very far from the marina to be 100 miles away form anywhere yet we are 50minutes by road to Sydney
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
Guru

This is a pretty meaningless calculation that I won't begin to attempt.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Like many statistics, so many variables and to what do you really apply it to?

What does it really mean?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Like many statistics, so many variables and to what do you really apply it to?

What does it really mean?
What it was intended to mean was pace. When going on a 30 day cruise, how many hours moving is reasonable to enjoy it. Our numbers would indicate that we'd cruise for about 120 hours in that time. That includes the days of sitting and the days of 12 hours. Typically for us it would probably mean actually moving 13-15 days at an average on those days of 6-8 hours per day.

As you increase those hours it becomes less of a pleasure cruise and more like a delivery cruise. We did just do a 7 day move of our boat and in those 7 days cruised 58 hours (1286 nm). That kind of pace though is not one of a sightseeing or pleasure cruise. In each of the intermediate stops, we only had about 4 hours of daylight and about an hour and half of that taken by docking and undocking, fueling, pumping out, carrying trash to the facilities. Plus by the time of arrival most places we might have visited were closing for the day.

For cruising I think we all have to find out pace which is a combination of how many days we move vs stay put and how many hours we move each of those days. Some of us cover more miles in those hours but that's to me not part of the enjoyable pace issue. That just influences which places you visit.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Miles per day might have been more useful. At 7 knots, 5 hours per day is only 35 miles. Think many of us do that kind of distance........it just takes some of us longer. My average was more like 10 hours going back and forth to Fl.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What it was intended to mean was pace. When going on a 30 day cruise, how many hours moving is reasonable to enjoy it. Our numbers would indicate that we'd cruise for about 120 hours in that time. That includes the days of sitting and the days of 12 hours. Typically for us it would probably mean actually moving 13-15 days at an average on those days of 6-8 hours per day.

As you increase those hours it becomes less of a pleasure cruise and more like a delivery cruise. We did just do a 7 day move of our boat and in those 7 days cruised 58 hours (1286 nm). That kind of pace though is not one of a sightseeing or pleasure cruise. In each of the intermediate stops, we only had about 4 hours of daylight and about an hour and half of that taken by docking and undocking, fueling, pumping out, carrying trash to the facilities. Plus by the time of arrival most places we might have visited were closing for the day.

For cruising I think we all have to find out pace which is a combination of how many days we move vs stay put and how many hours we move each of those days. Some of us cover more miles in those hours but that's to me not part of the enjoyable pace issue. That just influences which places you visit.
Then just ask that.

Depending on where you cruise and what you like to do and the speed if the vessel all affect that number.

Some like the underway time and less the ashore time...their numbers definitely skew the results.

Again your number may be relevant in your mind.....but either completely different for others...all the way to meaningless for some the way they view it.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld;
Depending on where you cruise and what you like to do and the speed if the vessel all affect that number.

Exactly my point in the other thread.

Generally, in the summer, if you want an anchorage anywhere within 50 miles of Vancouver, you best be there early afternoon or be disappointed.
Keven and Murray could probably show up most places by sundown and be alone.

The average SE AK cruise could be double the average Delta CA cruise.

To include "not moving" time is the biggest variant. Folks from all over the US relocate the boat, let it sit, fly in for a martini or two hour business cruise and fly back. That would work out to even less than Tom B's record 12 seconds.

I want to see a survey on how many times people drew their own keys from the hat.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Think this just points out the differences in cruising styles. Other than maybe going out to dinner if I dock, really not interested in land cruising on underway days. Also, anchoring out 75% of the time with a boat setup for a week plus away from the dock (and fuel pumps) also eliminates lots of wasted time.

The other contrast I see is that for some the boat is transportation and accommodations like an RV traveling on the highway and staying in the RV park. For others (me), the underway cruising and sightseeing is as or more important than the day's destination. Guess this is why I prefer inland and near coastal cruising as opposed to crossing the relatively featureless ocean.

To each their own.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Math gives me a headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
No one wants you to participate in activities that cause you pain or mental anguish. It is possible to simply skip it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Some like the underway time and less the ashore time...their numbers definitely skew the results.
That is the point! It points out the differences in how we use our boats and I do find that interesting. It really isn't all that complicated.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I'm not sure I understand the question so I'm not going to vote.

When underway on a cruise we will run from anywhere from a couple hours to ten or eleven hours, depending on how long it takes to get to our next stop. Since we have to deal with tidal current, it could take more or less time between the same stops as it did the last time.

In general, we try to even hours per day at seven knots (more or less).

Of course, if we stay somewhere more than overnight, we run zero hours on the days we are in port.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
No one wants you to participate in activities that cause you pain or mental anguish. It is possible to simply skip it...

That is the point! It points out the differences in how we use our boats and I do find that interesting. It really isn't all that complicated.
Not really.....not without explaining the variables.