View Poll Results: Hours per day cruising. Total engine hours divided by days cruised
I average less than 0.5 hours per day 2 5.26%
I average 0.5 to 1.0 hours per day 1 2.63%
I average 1.0 to 1.5 hours per day 0 0%
I average 1.5 to 2.0 hours per day 2 5.26%
I average 2.0 to 2.5 hours per day 4 10.53%
I average 2.5 to 3.0 hours per day 5 13.16%
I average 3.0 to 3.5 hours per day 3 7.89%
I average 3.5 to 4.0 hours per day 7 18.42%
I average 4.0 to 5.0 hours per day 4 10.53%
I average more than 5.0 hours per day 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #41
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
If you include the delivery from Alaska last year then my average is 7.3 h/day. Not including the delivery, my daily average (including days at anchor/dock while away) is 4.7 h/day.

I think that this is an interesting measure. We all know that faster boats go further than slow boats. This statistic says what proportion of your trips are spent at the helm. It's a traveling to hanging out ratio. People for whom it's more about the destination will probably have lower numbers. Those who don't care about where they're going but enjoy the journey will likely have higher numbers.

In my case I'm berthed 2.5 hours south of anything interesting! So far I've done no day trips though - I always stay overnight somewhere.

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVMAR View Post
how about this.... if you were cruising lets say up or down the intercoastal how many hour per day would you run ????
We usually run four to six hours per day, four days out of seven. The other three days we spend relaxing onboard and/or exploring ashore.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We love the scenery and wildlife, but we also love the coastal towns with all their heritage and character. ..............
I should have mentioned the towns as well.

As for not being able to speed on the Loop, are you going for the medal or do you want to get something else out of the trip? It's not how fast you go, it's the scenery, the wildlife, and the towns and cities along the way.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I should have mentioned the towns as well.

As for not being able to speed on the Loop, are you going for the medal or do you want to get something else out of the trip? It's not how fast you go, it's the scenery, the wildlife, and the towns and cities along the way.
We hope to get something else out of the trip. At 7 knots, it's pretty much hug the shore, take the shortest route. We can cross the various Lakes at speed. Lake Ontario we intend to go from Oswego to Rochester to Sodus Point to Fair Haven to Sacket's Harbor to Kingston, Ontario to Toronto to Hamilton to St. Catherine's with 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 days at each location. On Lake Erie, we intend to cruise both sides and from Buffalo to Grosse Pointe. From Lake Huron we also intend to cruise the Georgian Bay about 10 days. Most loopers don't even go to Lake Superior. We have 16 days planned there taking us all the way to Duluth, MN. We intend to cruise both sides of Lake Michigan including even areas like Green Bay.

The most common routes from NYC to Chicago cover about 1200 nm. Between NY and Chicago we will cover about 2400 nm. If you remove the Canals from that then it's about 2100 nm to 800 nm so we will cover a little more than 2.5 times the area on the Great Lakes than the shortest route and probably twice as much as most loopers. Yet, during those days we will spend a third or less as much time getting from place to place so have more time to explore all these areas we've never been to.

When one hear's about speed the assumption they make is we want to cover the loop in less time. Actually the opposite is true, we want more time to cover it and not just completing the path. Here's our Lake Ontario pattern of hours cruising per day (Now we'll spend more time on the water exploring locally in boat or RIB), hours to get from place to place. 8 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 3 0 0 3 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 2 0 11. The longest stay is 3 1/2 days in Toronto which isn't on most loop schedules. Lake Erie is 0 5 0 2 0 1 8 0 0 3 0 4 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6 0. We want to see the most we can on each of our Loop's. We'll spend a couple of summers after exploring the inland rivers before ever heading on to the gulf.

Only place we can't speed is the first 350 miles or so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We hope to get something else out of the trip. At 7 knots, it's pretty much hug the shore, take the shortest route. We can cross the various Lakes at speed. Lake Ontario we intend to go from Oswego to Rochester to Sodus Point to Fair Haven to Sacket's Harbor to Kingston, Ontario to Toronto to Hamilton to St. Catherine's with 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 days at each location.
BandB, I am a slow guy, but I don't view you fast folks negatively at all. (except when they don't pass me fast enough to stay on a plane or don't slow way down). Your trip sounds great and the speed you have available gives you all kinds of options that I would never have at 7 knots.

BTW, my Dad grew up on Lake Ontario outside of Younstown and I still have family there. I always enjoyed visiting them and sailing out of the Youngstown Yacht Club (primarily a sailing club I think). Pretty area, protected water, and the Village of Youngstown is nice with some great local historic sites to see close by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	51251   Click image for larger version

Name:	YYC1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	51252   Click image for larger version

Name:	YYC2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	51253  

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
BandB, I am a slow guy, but I don't view you fast folks negatively at all. (except when they don't pass me fast enough to stay on a plane or don't slow way down). Your trip sounds great and the speed you have available gives you all kinds of options that I would never have at 7 knots.

BTW, my Dad grew up on Lake Ontario outside of Younstown and I still have family there. I always enjoyed visiting them and sailing out of the Youngstown Yacht Club (primarily a sailing club I think). Pretty area, protected water, and the Village of Youngstown is nice with some great local historic sites to see close by.
There are so many places to visit on the Great Lakes. One could loop 10 times and still barely touch the surface. It was hard for us to say no to taking the St. Lawrence to Montreal this time but you have to choose. We'd end up with 4 places in a general area on our list and then just decide, which one for now. It's like the Eastern stretch of Lake Ontario, there are easily 5 or 6 nice stops and we settled for one, but we have nearly three days there and we are going to explore a lot in the RIB at least one day.

Next time we loop, our stops will be 80-90% different, just repeating a few favorites. Near Youngstown, which isn't on this trip, we'd like to see Fort George and Fort Niagara parks. We'd looked at Niagara on the Lake Sailing Club as a potential stop.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote