How many here boat with dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom and Bess, truly sorry to here of Tivo's passing. A good dog works his way into our hearts, and leaves a huge hole when he is gone.

Tom and Bess I am so sorry for your loss.

Aww man.
I got a lump in my throat.
It takes so long to get over something like that.
Hang in there it does get better.

SD

Sorry for your loss. It is so hard to let them go. We lost our dog-kid the Saturday before last, and we are both still moping about. Our boy was a superb sailor; we had him out in some very rough weather. He hated lightning and thunder, but never got seasick in rough seas.
img_123481_0_a980fbd4f4dc4589dbc2c065dd209b5e.jpg

Does anyone have a new friend?
We got one about a month after our two little friends passed.

You know we got the new dog before the second one passed.
I swear to god the old one passed things on to the new one. She does some of the same things in the same way.

When our old little friend got sick and had trouble standing. I swear the other one would stand next to her and let her lean on him. More than once.
He also gave up his spot next to me in my chair so she could sit there.

Sometimes I think they are more than we suspect.

Sd

We got one about a month after our two little friends passed.

You know we got the new dog before the second one passed.
I swear to god the old one passed things on to the new one. She does some of the same things in the same way.

When our old little friend got sick and had trouble standing. I swear the other one would stand next to her and let her lean on him. More than once.
He also gave up his spot next to me in my chair so she could sit there.

Sometimes I think they are more than we suspect.

Sd

I agree, they are more than we'll ever know. There will be more dogkids in our future...but not yet.

Thanks Everyone for the kind words. Tivo was really special...a very gentle soul. He really wasn't the best "boating" dog, more a dock-queen dog. He hated head seas and wakes the most! (don't we all?) But He was happy as long as we were all together..it didn't matter to him what we were doing, as long as we were together.

Besslb
We initially thought "no more dogs" after losing Rex. That lasted about two hours. The love, loyalty and companionship of a dog is among the wonderful things life has to offer. I still grieve for all the canine friends I've had since childhood, but I would not like to have missed the experiences.
Somewhere out there right now is a dog who needs you as much as you will come to need him or her. Good luck in dealing with the loss of your pet. I know how you feel right now.

Besslb
We initially thought "no more dogs" after losing Rex. That lasted about two hours. The love, loyalty and companionship of a dog is among the wonderful things life has to offer. I still grieve for all the canine friends I've had since childhood, but I would not like to have missed the experiences.
Somewhere out there right now is a dog who needs you as much as you will come to need him or her. Good luck in dealing with the loss of your pet. I know how you feel right now.

Thanks CC. I will never say no more dogs....not ever. I think we just need some time. The last time I lasted about 3 months. :D

GonzoF1,Vale Tivo, our sincere condolences. There is something beautiful about old dogs ("and children,and watermelon wine",as the song says). I`m sure your memories will be good ones, once the raw hurt of loss subsides.

Tom and Bess and ColonyCove, I am sorry for your loss. Our fur friends are so special and it isn't easy when they are gone.

In this aspect you'd like S. FL then:huh:

I grew up in La. with southern hospitality, I've never been anywhere I felt as "isolated" as I do down here. Its like people go out of their way to avoid making eye contact let alone a congenial wave. Not everyone is this way, but an absurdly large portion is.
I'd love to have some boating buddies to head off somewhere for a weekend together (not all the time, we like our solitude too), but people seem to wall themselves off down here. Perhaps they were that way up north too, I dunno.:flowers:

Twisted71, we are in Cape Coral and have lots of boating friends. Send us a PM and we'll introduce ourselves.

Sd

Yes! Another Border Terrier, named Peanut. She'll be a small one, maybe only 11 pounds. Here's a photo from the day in November when we picked her up at the breeder's - 9 weeks old at the time.

DSC_0020.JPG

What a cutie!

I've got a friend in Oregon who is never without a dog. When the current dog shows signs of aging a puppy is brought home - the theory is that the old dog will train the puppy...and it works.

Last edited:
Hello ,
@ MurrayM Our dog (Dryade) is , I thinks, the same one .than your
One question : witch solution did you find for the snow in long hair betwen "fingers" ? it became quickly a problem when walking in winter.( I am not clear !? it's normal I am French !!)
Some people said : cut all hair , another said don't
photo-1906459-profil_jpg.html
http://idata.over-blog.com/4/56/46/39/Isolation-froid/100_0043.JPG

Last edited:
We will miss him at the docks for sure.

Hello ,
@ MurrayM Our dog (Dryade) is , I thinks, the same one .than your
One question : witch solution did you find for the snow in long hair betwen "fingers" ? it became quickly a problem when walking in winter.( I am not clear !? it's normal I am French !!)
Some people said : cut all hair , another said don't
photo-1906459-profil_jpg.html
http://idata.over-blog.com/4/56/46/39/Isolation-froid/100_0043.JPG

Wow! That is a close match to our Zain!!

(Zain is 3/4 Pyrenees and 1/4 Lab...what kind is Dryade?)

Zain has webbed feet, so snow doesn't seem to build up so bad...it seems to fall out on its own.

Check out online dogsled supply stores, I seem to remember some sort of oily goop you could put on dogs feet to stop snow balls, and they would have dogsled booties as well.

Love your boat by the way...I am in lust with her ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! You and Suz have any plans to head west this year?

Hey Richard,
No current plans to head West but Big Duck is ready if we get the itch. We do plan on some Tennesee River around Chattanooga.

Yes! Another Border Terrier, named Peanut. She'll be a small one, maybe only 11 pounds. Here's a photo from the day in November when we picked her up at the breeder's - 9 weeks old at the time.

DSC_0020.JPG
Methinks she has a determined look about her, you might have a very cute strong minded lady there.

Here's our 5 lb hell-hound!! 18 Year old Toy Fox Terrier, lives on the boat full time.

img_124389_0_711b72fabbeaf8b682758aef1086b6b9.jpg

img_124389_1_e5db5db1b921aa303da6a80f2f368fbc.jpg

Dogs - you bet!

We boated with 3 dogs for years. All of them eventually passed away. They each had their own personalities. Two of them were not afraid of rough water and one, the biggest of course, was terrified when it got rough. Taking them to shore all the time was a pain, but we did it.

One time my wife mistook pellet shrimp bait for dog food and fed it to them. They loved it of course, but it gave them the worst big-D ever!

Now we've gotten a little 10 lb Caron Terrier. We got her as a puppy and trained her to go on puppy pads, so we don't have to take her to shore. So far it is working out great.

And for those of you who boat with dogs and use a laptop to navigate, watch out. They are getting computer savvy these days.

Attachments

• Dog delete.jpg
    Dog delete.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 107
Methinks she has a determined look about her, you might have a very cute strong minded lady there.

Indeed she is determined and strong-minded. Our previous BT definitely had her own opinions as well, but mellowed out some after two years or so. Maybe we had somewhat forgotten what a little imp she was those first two years....

Well,

I don't have a dog, but New Years weekend it was just me and this furball for 4 days as an experiment on the boat. We were at war for the first two days, then he won! He might make a good boat lion when we do the livaboard thing. At least I don't have to worry about peeing, pooping on the deck....

Attachments

• Water wings.jpg
    Water wings.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 115
Well,

I don't have a dog, but New Years weekend it was just me and this furball for 4 days as an experiment on the boat. We were at war for the first two days, then he won! He might make a good boat lion when we do the livaboard thing. At least I don't have to worry about peeing, pooping on the deck....

Around here, we call those "sharkbait". Just kidding...

Around here, we call those "sharkbait". Just kidding...

Well with those water wings he would float awhile so the shark could get a good bite.

Up here we call the little dogs and cats eagle bait!

LITTY%20EAGLE.jpg

Nice Dogs ----- Our Dog is a Miniature Daschund... Lucy has not as yet experienced our new boat so that excitement is yet to come-- we have a lifejacket for her.... Anyone heard of the system someone developed that involved artificial/real grass ....... hitting the shore twice a day is not a big thing but I'm wondering if anyone has discovered an alternative..................... Go Lucy Go !!!!! jp

Back
Top Bottom