Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfedex View Post
She is a Spitz but they are now known as American Eskimos.

From American Eskimo website: "The change from “Spitz” to “Eskimo” may be explained by the political climate in the United States during World War I. “Spitz” is a German work that means “sharp point” and was used to describe northern dogs with pointed muzzles, erect ears, curled tails and double coats, and it has been suggested that the name change was an attempt to distance the breed in America from its German origins."
I'm not too sure about that. We still have the German Shepherd in this country and in the rest of the world it is the Alsatian Shepherd, we have the German Wirehaired Pointer, German Shorthaired Pointer, German Pincher, Doberman Pincher, Lowchen, Standard and Giant Schnauzer and more. The point being the AKC wasn't shy about using the name even if it was of German roots.

Now the folks that were the importers of the dogs may have felt that way as did many people who Anglicized their names when they came to the US.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm not too sure about that. We still have the German Shepherd in this country and in the rest of the world it is the Alsatian Shepherd
German Shepherd in Australia. I was a dog obedience instructor with the German Shepherd Dog League.
The name "Alsatian" (? = Alsacienne) was adopted during WW2, Alsace Lorraine being(I think) the closest part of France to Germany.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #43
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Here is my favorite picture of Sarah, our Beagle rescue. The significance of the picture is this is the first time she slept anywhere without hiding first. Several years later she sleeps comfortably and confidently anywhere she likes.
Attached Thumbnails
018.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #44
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=BruceK;117892]German Shepherd in Australia. I was a dog obedience instructor with the German Shepherd Dog League.

Bet you liked 'Rin Tin Tin' when you were a kid, not to mention Fang from 'Get Smart'

Me, I liked 'The Major' from 'A Hundred and One Dalmatians'.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Had a small dog for a VERY short period of time once called Butch (Boston Terrier). He should have been called Transistor. All he did was P-N-P. Hounds Rufus, since passed, and Cruiser are much more genteel. Duke was a benchmark. A veritable coiled spring just waiting to pounce!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #46
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Often, while hiking along the shores of Douglas Channel, Zain pauses and listens quietly to the sound of diesel boats in the distance, so we just had to get one for him. The boat is under cover for the winter, but come spring, Zain is going to have the time of his life!

He's passed all his bush dog tests. He doesn't trust ice, he doesn't chase deer or moose, and last spring we both calmly watched two wolves harass a bull, cow, and calf moose only one hundred metres away. (Well, Zain was calm but I wasn't sure if that was going to be the day I saw my dog ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves!)
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Wathl Cr Zain.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #47
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Here's the wolf / moose scene;
Attached Thumbnails
Skeena R Moose & Calf.jpg   Skeena R Wolf.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #48
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Angus (post 11 and immediately below) and Skittles are Rhodesian Ridgebacks. He won every show we put him in while she is a rescue dog. They both like boats more than water, but what they REALLY like is what they're doing in these shots. Billed as "African Lion Hounds," we soon learned they are "African Sofa Hounds."

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #49
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
............ He should have been called Transistor. All he did was P-N-P.
Ha. That's funny!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #50
Guru

One of our three rescues. Apparently,Suzy has claimed me. She is the sweetest,most friendly dog I've ever belonged to, this is exponentially more significant considering she's a Chihuahua. We are still amazed and confused as to how she could wind up in a shelter. This was on our maiden voyage bringing our boat home from Mississippi.

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #51
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Yes
Attached Thumbnails
Island Seeker 06-07 058.jpg   072.jpg   020.jpg  
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #52

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
This is my boy Rex. He is a great sailor and also heads up our security department.

Safe and Happy Boating!
ColonyCove
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
"Most marinas do not allow live a boards to have dogs. "
[/QUOTE]

We are liveaboards in Fl and most of the marinas we have encountered allow dogs. Many liveaboards have dogs. In fact my then-5year old grandson asked me whether all boats had dogs since there were so many in the marina.

We have two Yorkies and they are great dogs for the boat. We've had them since they were puppies so they have grown up on the boat. We've trained them on the potty patch so when we cruise we don't have to worry about taking them to shore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1292622338.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	14600

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3885160905.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	14599
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
The liveaboard pet policies vary from marina to marina in this area. Our marina is city-owned and liveaboards are allowed to have pets including dogs with no size restrictions.

But the fancy big private marina in Elliot Bay near downtown Seattle, for example, has strictly enforced limits on pets for liveaboards. Some kinds of animals are allowed, some aren't and there are size restrictions on the ones that are.

Ron mentioned the mess potential with boaters' dogs. This can certainly be an issue but our marina is really good with lots of poop bag dispensers and receptacles on the docks and in the park that's part of the marina as well as reminder signs about picking up after one's dog.

Still, it's an individual responsibility and there seem to always be a few inconsiderate a-holes around. But for the most part our 2,000+ boat marina does not suffer from dog messes. Seagull messes, yes, particularly near the boathouses which our slip is fortunately a fair distance from.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #55
Guru

Maybe we should not post "Holly", we don`t take her on the boat as she was 7 when we returned to boats, but the other Shepherds are so cute here goes. If anything looking after her keeps us off the boat, like if we don`t get a sitter for NYE.
She came to us as a rescue age 4,turns 13 this month, just had successful major surgery. She looks all Shepherd, but is part Kelpie (Australian working sheepdog).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7054.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
If anything looking after her keeps us off the boat.
Ain't it the truth! Hell, the kennel costs rival the fuel bill Our latest one is something my wife picked out thinking she wanted a Vizsla to run with. Well she missed the mark by a country mile. Alice has a double coat and has shot right on past the size she was supposed to be! So we either get a sitter or are limited to day cruising in the summer. She's lucky she's so sweet.

She started like this, looks like a wolf cub, huh

Here she is now on a large dog bed. This is her typical sleep pose.

Perhaps we should have named her Linus instead of Alice, she loves her blanket!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #57
Guru

Twiisted 71, she is seriously cute, and none too modest.
Ours has taken over the guest bedroom upstairs. As for kennels, anything more than overnight ends in disaster, an escape, a stomach torsion (emergency surgery), not really eating for 3 weeks... a dog sitter is safer and easier.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Twiisted 71, she is seriously cute, and none too modest.
As for kennels, anything more than overnight ends in disaster,
Yes she isn't camera shy at all. If you look at just the couple of photos I've posted you can see she's gone through several blankies. She'll usu bring it to you, likely in the middle of a movie you really like, and want to be covered completely so she can fight with you in anonymity. If ignored she can manage pretty well to cover most of herself.

We have found that if we board two of them they do much better with the situation though it costs us more Suzy seldom gets boarded as she thinks she's one of my appendages. So Bart (Black Bart) usually pulls kennel duty with Alice.

This is our ham. When on walks and he encounters girls/women who use their squeaky voice to say how cute he is, he goes bonkers dancing around and squealing if they get too close they get a slurp!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
But for the most part our 2,000+ boat marina
Wow that's some marina!!! Sounds like a great place to hang out and make friends with people who share your hobby.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Here's my Maggie aboard the Ipecac (a 19' Workskiff), watching for whales and ADF&G Troopers. Whales and other wildlife were welcome but Troopers & Coasties received a stern warning. Maggie passed away last year but not before spending a night on the Kingfisher. I'm now without a dog for the first time in nearly 15 years, and it's killing me. I love all of your dogs and by association, each of you. Can't wait to greet those fuzzy faces (both canine & human!) in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Regal Maggie on Ipecac REDUCED.jpg  
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote