Old 04-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
How long was your boat for sale?

Plenty of material on here about how to buy a boat. Even some stuff on getting your boat ready to sell.

Lots of people have had multiple boats, so have sold multiple boats. Leaving tenders, runabouts and sailboats out of the mix and without getting too personal;

How long did it take to sell your boats and how much did you have to drop to get it done?

I'm seeing a lot of boats that appeal to US buyers moving fairly quickly; 2-4 months. For the rest a year does not seem unusual.

Those who have bought recently, how long was the boat on the market?

Lots of variables I know.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I believe the boat I bought was on the market for about 6 months? Long enough for the seller to reject some offers. My final offer was the same as an offer that the buyer had previously rejected. Kind of explains why the seller rejected my initial offer.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
I believe the boat I bought was on the market for about 6 months? Long enough for the seller to reject some offers. My final offer was the same as an offer that the buyer had previously rejected.
That sounds fairly typical, from what I've seen. I find a lot of FSBO boats have a high sentimental price tag to the detriment of reality.

I was also told at the show some boats were there simply as a means of beating the owner down. "See Fred, we showcased your boat to 832 potential buyers and every single one said if it was 50 grand cheaper they would buy it."
Old 04-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I believe the boat I bought was on the market for about 6 months? Long enough for the seller to reject some offers. My final offer was the same as an offer that the buyer had previously rejected. Kind of explains why the seller rejected my initial offer.
Mr dhays, I noticed a 2012 North Pacific 43 for sale in Oregon this morning. Looks like it just came on the market.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012.../United-States
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat was on the market for several years. It took a major price reduction to get offers coming. It sold within a couple months of the price reduction. Bought it 01/14.

Think the message is that desirable boats sell fairly quickly when competitively priced. Over priced boats sit as the market isn't that strong.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Mr dhays, I noticed a 2012 North Pacific 43 for sale in Oregon this morning. Looks like it just came on the market.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012.../United-States
That boat has been on the market for a while. We kept an eye on that one for a while. It is a very nice boat as near as I can tell and from talking to the builder. We didn't decide to look at it for 3 reasons. 1) It was way beyond our budget, 2) It is in Portland OR and so not terribly convenient to move North. Given my lack of experience with power yachts, and never being beyond the Strait of Juan De Fuca, I would have needed to high a deliver captain to accompany me. 3) Most importantly, my wife didn't like the black interior. The broker didn't feel the seller was highly motivated as of a month or so ago. That could have changed since.

BTW, we already purchased the NP43 that Yachtworld still shows as "Pending".

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
BTW, we already purchased the NP43 that Yachtworld still shows as "Pending".
That is a head scratcher that I see often. Is it a lazy broker or is Yachtworld way behind in their updating?

There is a local broker still advertising a "good seller" that I know was sold last fall. Makes me think of the car lots that advertise in the paper but the special of the week blow out has always "just left the lot. Minutes ago. I'm not lying."
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Though we purchased Traveler four years ago, I believe she was on the market for well over two years. If and when we ever decide to sell, we will brace ourselves for a similarly long period on the market.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
I think at the end of the day, pricing determines how long it takes to sell a boat. A good deal will go fast, and over priced boats will sit. It's not rocket science. I think the year or more that it can take to sell a boat is really about the seller taking a shot at getting a high price, then slowly working their way down to pricing reality. As a seller, if you are not in a hurry, there is little to lose by taking a shot at getting top dollar. I really don't see it as any different from selling a car or a house.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Think the message is that desirable boats sell fairly quickly when competitively priced. Over priced boats sit as the market isn't that strong.

Ted
Reread what Ted wrote 100 times. Memorize it.

Quality and appropriately priced boats are in great demand. Overpriced boats sit for months and years. Many don't even get offers and they become stale. Nothing harder to sell than a stale listing. Boats in poor condition are always difficult to market. The person wanting to buy a project is going to want a "wholesale" price.

It's really no different than the housing market. You see one house sell within days and another sit for years. Our house in NC sold in three days and never made it to MLS. Our house in FL which we purchased had been on the market two years. First it needed a new roof. Once that was done, the price was much too high. Finally they dropped the price 8%. Then another 3% by the time we saw it. We bought it for 17% off the reduced price and 26% off the original price. Most people weren't even looking at it because of price. Also, they initially showed no interest in reducing price.

A lot of listings of boats are "fishing expeditions." The owners will sell if someone will pay their asking price but they are fine holding onto it, so not seriously committed to selling.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Posts #9 and #10 are exactly in alignment with my experience and observations.

I probably spend too much time looking at boats, but it is part of my boating hobby and the education will be valuable when it comes time for the passagemaker.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Last boat we sold was originally bought for $74,500 in 2012 and sold in 2015 for $75,000 in 2 1/2 months 1500 engine hours and 9000 miles later.

Last boat we bought was probably on the market for 6-8 months. Price was a little high for age and condition. Both brokers (mine and theirs) worked hard to get the sale finalized.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Certain boats/ models will command a higher price...just because they are what they are for some.

Sometimes you have to wait long enough...but not if it is eating into the difference at a high rate.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #14

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
As a seller, if you are not in a hurry, there is little to lose by taking a shot at getting top dollar. I really don't see it as any different from selling a car or a house.
Unless you are in SoCal or some other high cost area. Here the cost just to sit is easy $1,000 a month for slip, bottom cleaning, insurance, etc. Add that to the scales when weighing your options!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:50 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
In my case, nearly two years, but sales are quiet here in Oz, and I don't think the brokers are trying all that hard. In that time I've dropped the price about 40%. I don't really want to go much lower. I think I'd rather just keep here. Maybe sell the house to retire instead. Of course the wife might not be pleased. She might have to go. Question is...which she..?

I jest...of course...I think...
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 AM   #16
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
We've sold our boats within 2 months to the first or second person who has looked at them. They've been in good condition and well-equipped, and we don't try to squeeze every penny out of the deal.

Last boat we bought was of a popular model and so there were 5 of them available within a couple hundred miles. Looked at all of them. The one we bought was on the market for just a few weeks and we jumped on it when we found it.

We saw other "identical" boats that weren't as well cared for or were over-priced (10%-20% higher than the one we bought). These sat on the market for literally years.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I think it's fair to say, those who can afford to buy new or nearly new boats, i.e. less than ten odd years old, live in a different world when it comes to buying, and even moreso when selling, from those who have to buy older fixer-uppers in order to get out there...
Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think it's fair to say, those who can afford to buy new or nearly new boats, i.e. less than ten odd years old, live in a different world when it comes to buying, and even moreso when selling, from those who have to buy older fixer-uppers in order to get out there...
They live in a different set of brokers offices for sure...yet nice that most do anchor and dock (well for the most part) and are as friendly with us "po" folk as they are.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Northwest Basin, Penetanguishene, ON.
Vessel Name: WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Model: 1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
Listed our 1963 34ft Chris Craft May 2014 with a broker who knew wood boats. Sold her in August 2015, to the only person who ever made us an offer. For the 15 months "Charmed" was on the market we continued to use and enjoy the boat and maintain the boat to the same high standard so it was no hardship for us. In retrospect we had an easier time selling the wood Chris Craft and got a better price than other folks selling old glass Trojans and Sea Rays the same size [or a little bigger]. I really think I could have dropped the price 50% and it would not have mattered you just have to be patient if you personal circumstances allow it.
2dboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
Guru

My last sailboat sold in 6 months. It was priced competitively at a time the economy and used boat market was down. I sold it for $8000 less than I paid for it.

I bought my current boat about 3 months later from a very pissed off seller. He could not admit the boat was not worth what he thought it should be worth and thus sat on the market for some time largely unused. When he finally realized he was not going to get what he wanted he listened to his broker and priced it reasonably. He was pissed that he lost so much money on depreciation and took that out on me. I had a grand or so invested in haul out and survey fees, but should have walked.

I hope I only loose $25000 or so when I sell my current boat. At over a $1000/mo to keep it, I will also price it competitively. The experiences with this boat were priceless, so well worth it.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote