Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
How little water do you use?

That's right! How little? It's a central theme around the docks with a number of boaters boasting about how little water they use. One elderly woman boasted they only use 2 gallons per day. I said, well, we have freshwater heads. So do they, she said. She said she doesn't like the moisture in the boat so they don't shower. Baby wipes! she boasts! As we turn to get our water, "Remember: get some Baby Wipes" she advises. It'll be a Frosty Friday before I resort to that. WTF! Does she use baby wipes to wash the dishes too?

There's a water shortage right now in BC and docks are refusing boaters who want water. There is no water available in Klemtu and Bella Bella and they make it difficult for you to get water in Shearwater, (I'll take that discussion offline for those who want to know). So if, like us, you want to fill your 350 gallon tank, better plan ahead. I believe Ocean Falls has lots of water. BTW, I figure I can get about 18 days on our 350 gallons. More if we use Baby wipes.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
We use 4.5 gpd while in the Bahamas.

KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Use what you want...just don't waste it.

If you want to be in a survival course, well I can recommend a few.

Not to say there aren't methods of decent hygiene and relatively little water usage...it depends on your boat and your give a darn quotient.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
We use a lot of water, end up pulling into the fuel dock for 50.00 worth of diesel and topping up my 125gallon water tank every few days.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
while at the dock we use a lot when cruising very little

fresh water heads so when cruising if it is yellow let it mellow

if it is brown flush it down

wipe dishes and if only a day out of maria while cruising the dishes go in the sink under board
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
With just my wife and I on board we can go an easy two weeks if not three with our 170 gallons of fresh water. We have a Navy-style push-button shower head and salt water toilets which I'm sure make a big difference in fresh water usage.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I envy those of you with large capacity water storage, I use my onboard water supply exclusively. After replacing my 80 gallon tank last winter with 2 poly tanks I now have 76 gallons. One of the nice things about the upper Mis is the number of marinas, I doubt I'am ever over 20 to 30 miles from water, not all have fuel, pump out or mechanic services but I haven't found any that didn't have water. Raw water flush heads I'am sure save me a lot of water and I don't see ever changing that system for a freshwater flush. The envy is with a larger capacity I could stay out of marinas longer.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Dang, y'all are stingy (and parched). When we are in the Bahamas on the hook my family of four (two teenaged sons) and our giant, thirsty dog use about 20 gallons a day. Fresh water heads. We shower every night.

I like my wife a lot at all times. I like her even more when she is clean, happy and eating off a plate that was washed with water.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
A 12v water maker turns this discussion on its head. We don't waste water but use quite a bit, including for our washing machine which takes 11 gallons per load. Total usage for two people averages 35 gallons a day.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We use about 50 galllons a day if we don''t do laundry or wash the salt off the windows.

Can't wait for the new watermaker, 40 Gallons per hour. Yippee!!!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
That's right! How little? It's a central theme around the docks with a number of boaters boasting about how little water they use. One elderly woman boasted they only use 2 gallons per day. I said, well, we have freshwater heads. So do they, she said. She said she doesn't like the moisture in the boat so they don't shower. Baby wipes! she boasts! As we turn to get our water, "Remember: get some Baby Wipes" she advises. It'll be a Frosty Friday before I resort to that. WTF! Does she use baby wipes to wash the dishes too?

There's a water shortage right now in BC and docks are refusing boaters who want water. There is no water available in Klemtu and Bella Bella and they make it difficult for you to get water in Shearwater, (I'll take that discussion offline for those who want to know). So if, like us, you want to fill your 350 gallon tank, better plan ahead. I believe Ocean Falls has lots of water. BTW, I figure I can get about 18 days on our 350 gallons. More if we use Baby wipes.

Jim
For those heading to Desolation this summer, Powell River still allows water fills. It's excellent water, too.

Vancouver Island has a class 4 drought right now, so water usage is being limited.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
...I like my wife a lot at all times. I like her even more when she is clean, happy and eating off a plate that was washed with water.
Now that there is funny. And my wife likes me a lot more too when I don't stink.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
It's our home- we don't skimp.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
No idea right now. I'm not wasteful - but I have 600 gal in water tanks and it's just me on board. I top them off from time to time. Fresh water heads but they are vacuflush and pretty water efficient I think.

I have a 600 GPD (25/hr) water maker that needs a new salt water pump and membrane. I'm in no real hurry to fix it until I start spend more time going up and down the coast.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
... There is no water available in Klemtu ...
No water in Klemtu? It was raining hard the whole time I was there in early April on the way down from Ketchikan. It didn't let up for the 14 hours we were docked. I have a hard time imagining it without water!

Richard
Old 07-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #16
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
No water in Klemtu? It was raining hard the whole time I was there in early April on the way down from Ketchikan. It didn't let up for the 14 hours we were docked. I have a hard time imagining it without water!

Richard
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #17
Guru

It can rain on the coast, but how to to capture and store the water? If it just runs off, it won`t help the water supply.
There are predictions of a Pacific El Nino, but no sign of it here on the east( got it right this time Eric) of the Pacific, more the opposite. Maybe it is heading this way.
Try to stay clean . Don`t flush the baby wipes .
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #18
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It can rain on the coast, but how to to capture and store the water? If it just runs off, it won`t help the water supply.
There are predictions of a Pacific El Nino, but no sign of it here on the east( got it right this time Eric) of the Pacific, more the opposite. Maybe it is heading this way.
Try to stay clean . Don`t flush the baby wipes .
Ah - got it. Well I've heard the El Nino stories too. We've had more overcast here in CA than usual for this time of year. I hope the predictions are correct and we get a wet winter. Though of course that will bring floods and landslides. Can't win here...

Richard
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post

Richard

And it's raining hard here tonight too in Klemtu! Isn't 3G wonderful! A friend just left here this afternoon. His water maker on his KK48 packed it in. He was hoping to get water here, but now has to run to Rupert to wait for parts.

Jim
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We can get down to 12 gallons a day, but in the beginning of the trip the usage is a bit higher until we get into full conservation mode, we still take short showers and wash dishes daily.

If I was in one of those drought areas I would be looking pretty hard at a water maker.

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote