Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
There's a water shortage right now in BC and docks are refusing boaters who want water. There is no water available in Klemtu and Bella Bella and they make it difficult for you to get water in Shearwater, (I'll take that discussion offline for those who want to know). So if, like us, you want to fill your 350 gallon tank, better plan ahead. I believe Ocean Falls has lots of water. BTW, I figure I can get about 18 days on our 350 gallons. More if we use Baby wipes. Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
With 400 gallons of water capacity, we are good for over two weeks with heavy use on anchor washing and clothes. No RO unit as not needed and they are more trouble than worth unless offshore IMHO. If we know we'll be out of water re- fill range it becomes every other day showers and minimal clothes washing. When lots of guests on board we plan on being near a refill location at least weekly.

For many years Bella Bella and Klemtu have been non water givers unless you buy fuel from them. Between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert there is no good water stop unless one goes out of way to Ocean Falls or Kitimat, both of which are nice stops in any event.

I don't trust Shearwater's water, it is now clear but smells funny, not nearly as good as Klemtu's. Currently there are no water restrictions in Sidney BC or Campbell River. Word is that Comox is short and not allowing boat washing.

Raining in Juneau and Sitka, but it was a light SE Alaska snowpack so spawning salmon are finding dry ground - not good.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #22

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
I just add a few drops of water to a good Scotch :-)

Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I only have a 40 gallon water tank... lolz. I'm not even using it at present. I need to replace the lines from the tank to the faucets, as I'm convinced they're all foul. Just haven't gotten to it yet. I use marina facilities to shower, and hook up the city water input when I can.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #24

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
In the early 1990's we arrived in the Bahamas with a brand new 120' tri-deck, and some lady asked/made the comment on water usage, similar to the "we use 2 gal/day" post, and my boss, the owner of the vessel, in his usual dry wit replied "Why would I want to" (live on 2/gay/day)

Later that evening when he relayed the story to me, with a boatload of guests present, he asked, not a concern, just for his own curiosity,"Bill, how much water DO we use?" My reply "Mr. D... on the long term average I plan for a minimum of 100/gal/person/day" So avg about 1500/day.

One of the guests, also a well to do business man, said "thats ridiculous, I take short showers, and am very conservative with my water use, I can't be using more than 20 gal/day"
And I had to reply, "Yes, and the boat was washed spotless when you arrived, it's rinsed every day your here, your towels are washed every day, and your sheets are changed and washed every other day, and the chef is making 3 meals/day for 15 people (45 meals/day) plus hors deuvres and drinks for 8 guests, (crew doesn't get apps).
"Oh, I didn't think of that"

And my boss had his second chuckle of the day, lol.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
With 300 gallons onboard, we need fuel before water when cruising. So, topping up water is never a problem. If we really needed to conserve we would use paper plates and cups. Run the galley sink tap so that the water flow is no thicker than a pencil lead and you'll save a ton of water. Leaving yellow in the head ain't my thing, and my wife would throw me overboard if I did.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #26
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Living aboard with clothes washer, no special conservation measures, I top
the water tank at about 4 weeks. Don't wait to run out.
I was told the tank is 1000 gallons, it's under the fo'c'sle sole.
When it's low the bow up-trim is noticeable.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
One of the very best upgrades we made to our boat was a Watercounter. Since we prefer to live on a mooring (which we did full time for 2-3 month stretches) or at anchor, water usage is important. Also, the boat came equipped with a dishwasher and stacked laundry set up, both of which we liked to use. 350 gallon tank. With the Watercounter, we could understand very precisely what different uses consumed.. length of shower, or various cycles of the appliances, and so on. Turned out we could go for a month pretty comfortably but paying close attention, or 3 weeks pretty sinfully, 2 weeks acting like we had unlimited supply. Given that, I could never make the watermaker pencil out, even with shoreside water at 50 cents a gallon. Bought a lot of diesel fuel with the money saved.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have 350 gallons which seems to last longer than the groceries. Envision stopping every one to to weeks for an overnight in a marina. Wash the boat, pump the holding tank, fill the water tanks, restock the galley, and cook's night out.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #29
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Full time cruising, two of us, we used about 10gal/day.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Not playing this game as I'd never win. If we get ready for who uses the most, let me know....
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
What I find most interesting about this thread is the wide range of water usage.

From about 10 gallons a day on up to well over 50 gallons a day for two people.

I am also suprised at the small number of people that use watermakers, and cannot help but think that some if not most conserve water while underway.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #32
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'd say water is equivalent to money.

The more you have, the more you use.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
What I find most interesting about this thread is the wide range of water usage.

From about 10 gallons a day on up to well over 50 gallons a day for two people.

I am also suprised at the small number of people that use watermakers, and cannot help but think that some if not most conserve water while underway.
For many people the value of having a water maker depends on the cruising area and the cruising style. We have had the same boat with the same set-up in North America and in the Caribbean. The water maker was not used in North American although we mostly anchored out. Every marina supplied water and we were in a marina for at least a night usually within a two week span. Different in the Caribbean where there are times we don't lift anchor for a month and there is no water available in the anchorage.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"I need to replace the lines from the tank to the faucets, as I'm convinced they're all foul."

Copper tubing works better than plastic.It can be flushed.

"I am also suprised at the small number of people that use watermakers, and cannot help but think that some if not most conserve water while underway."

Water use is a lifestyle not just a boating style.

I doubt we use 100G a week on land in the summer ,a bit more in winter as the dirt house has a clothes washer & dish washer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #35
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
120 lt/hr water maker , 1000 lt tankage, no worries.use as much as you like.
Just wish I carried more than my 3000lts of fuel
Wash the dishes, wash the bodies, wash the boat.
If I want to go camping I will get a tent or a sailboat.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
120 lt/hr water maker , 1000 lt tankage, no worries.use as much as you like.
Just wish I carried more than my 3000lts of fuel
Wash the dishes, wash the bodies, wash the boat.
If I want to go camping I will get a tent or a sailboat.
I suspect that water limitations, lack of dishwashers and washers, limitation of showers, are among the factors that discourage many less than enthusiastic boaters. I suspect many are not even aware they were the factor.

Having read so many books and blogs of those who do the loop, do the U, do Bahamas cruising, do coastal cruising, one thing I've seen so common to many of them is the burden lack of water creates. You read at each port about the trips to the shower. Probably read more negative reviews of marinas based on showers and laundry facilities than any other factors. Then you read of lugging their clothes to a laundry facility. Even those who gracefully accept this as part of the overall experience, definitely seem to find it one of the least pleasant aspects.

Often in looking at boats or talking about them lack of space is pointed out as an issue. Sometimes storage, sometimes comfort of stateroom. Ease of living aboard can make up for a lot of space. A nice long warm shower has great healing and comfort effects on many. Easy of laundry makes lack of storage much less an issue. A dishwasher makes up for some of galley storage.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I agree...thus the "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on" is only really good advice for the highly experienced cruiser and probable liveaboard......thus lousy advice for a person who needs to ask.

They just know the romance of short time cruising and the occasional trip to the laundry and grocery or the inconvenience of dressing to go undress only to redress in places that sometimes look like back road gas station bathrooms and many aren't heated or air conditioned. The reality is unless you have the knowledge and have the money to go to places that meet your expectations....life can wear on you pretty fast.

Then there's long term cruising and not having your real hobbies along...or even just many little things you would like to have but don't have the storage.

Then there's being hurt or sick and the boat can be a lousy place to recover if you are walking to showers, laundry, grocery...etc...etc...

don't scrimp if you don't have to....it can be a long trip if both aren't happy with most things.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I agree...thus the "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on" is only really good advice for the highly experienced cruiser and probable liveaboard......thus lousy advice for a person who needs to ask.

They just know the romance of short time cruising and the occasional trip to the laundry and grocery or the inconvenience of dressing to go undress only to redress in places that sometimes look like back road gas station bathrooms and many aren't heated or air conditioned. The reality is unless you have the knowledge and have the money to go to places that meet your expectations....life can wear on you pretty fast.

Then there's long term cruising and not having your real hobbies along...or even just many little things you would like to have but don't have the storage.

Then there's being hurt or sick and the boat can be a lousy place to recover if you are walking to showers, laundry, grocery...etc...etc...

don't scrimp if you don't have to....it can be a long trip if both aren't happy with most things.
I'd say the opposite for long term cruising or liveaboard. Buy the largest that you can both afford (purchase and upkeep) and can manage yourselves. That doesn't mean it has to be the absolute largest, but 5' can make a huge difference. You will find a 48' may be twice the volume of a 40'. It's not just 20% larger.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When I started boating in the last century a 42 ft boat was good sized, watermakers were rare etc. Now our 42 foot Krogen is on the small end of the bell curve for the cruisers and many/most have watermakers.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'd say the opposite for long term cruising or liveaboard. Buy the largest that you can both afford (purchase and upkeep) and can manage yourselves. That doesn't mean it has to be the absolute largest, but 5' can make a huge difference. You will find a 48' may be twice the volume of a 40'. It's not just 20% larger.
Agree ...

My model is a 40 but USCG documented at 39.4.

Reality and experience force me to tell admirers...a "small, 39 footer".

My boat next to a Krogen 42 looks like a dingy.

I do give a quick smile when I vacuum...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote