Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
How have you used rescue tape?

https://www.rescuetape.com/

Describe the problem and how it was repaired with rescue tape.
Did it withstand water, heat, movement, how much did it take etc. etc....
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
On the Beast (old gasoline engine) one of the exhaust hoses was not properly secured. The fan belt rubbed it. Rather than replace the hose I strapped it up and added a bunch of rescue tape. Problem solved.

Next, one of the water mufflers (the tube type) had a crack at one end that oozed water. Wrapped it in rescue tape. Problem solved.

Friend on a Westsail32 had a stuffing box issue. It leaked like a sieve. While aboard he could keep the batteries charged (generator) but when away? No. Anyway, 1/2 roll of my tape and the leak stopped.

The guy replaced it with a bargain brand that was not the same -- much thinner, didn't adhere as well and generally was a waste of $$. He paid $5 for it at HomeDepot and that was $4.99 too much.

Friend had a leaky spray nozzle on his sink in a house. The problem whas where the nozzle attached to the hose. I brought over my rescue tape and solved the issue.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I've used a Rescue Tape a time or two for the usual things. Leaking hose, leaking fitting, seal a connection, etc.

I've also used this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/FIBER-FIX-Adhe.../dp/B009WSDWUG

Which hardens when it cures. Great stuff.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Disclaimer: the guy who owns Rescue Tape is a close friend of mine. That being said, I've used it for quite a few things, including a leaking fuel hose. Always works. Best boat repair was it fixed a leaking steel exhaust fitting (hose ran from the engine to the fitting which went through the transom). Held for quite a few months until we hauled out and replaced the fitting. Here's a short video we made of the repair:

https://youtu.be/IzHo9Q_zp-Y

John Kretschmer once told me he made a temporary repair on his boat crossing the Atlantic (can't remember exactly what it was). He sheepishly admitted the Rescue Tape was still there a year later...

Use it correctly and it will work.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Repaired lower circulating hose.

Molded hose failed on coastal delivery, repair lasted several weeks until factory hose delivered. Old deck drain , still in service, consider it repaired.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I have numerous rolls of different colors in my dock box and boat--it is great stuff. Everyone should have a roll or two on board for emergencies.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
PO of our boat was a mighty over tightener of all things. One of the coolant petcocks had a slow leak because the o-ring was damaged.

Found a slightly larger inside diameter, but thinner o-ring in an old partially used Racor rebuild kit. Gave a couple wraps of Rescue Tape around the petcock so the o-ring would fit snug, then some more wraps over the o-ring to bring it up to the needed outside diameter. No more annoying leak
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
There's a 2.5" wire-reinforced white plastic tube routed from our cabin roof to the console of our minimalist upper helm. It protects the wiring and hydraulic steering hoses. After ~14 years it developed a crack where it took a fairly tight 90-degree bend. Would have been an incredible pain to take everything apart and replace with new tubing.

Rescue tape saved the day! Easy to make several wraps, color matches perfectly, looks great, and it has withstood so far ~3 years, including ~12,000 miles blasting along through the wind and rain on the road between here and Prince Rupert.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Guru

My port engine 3" exhaust hose had a drip, so I wrapped it with Rescue Tape and it is still in service three years later.
ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
My port engine 3" exhaust hose had a drip, so I wrapped it with Rescue Tape and it is still in service three years later.
So, it really is the aspirin for boats.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Most of the RT is 1 in wide and 12 ft long, 20 mil thick. I probably have 5-10 rolls onboard the boat and more at home. I bought an industrial roll that's 2 in wide, 36 ft long (I think) and 30 mil. It's 50% thicker and 100% wider and very heavy for its size. The one roll cost me about $50. I'm saving it for that EXTRA special rescue requirement.

I have a "bucket o' rope" onboard that's hundreds of feet long that I can cut to any length needed. Before I cut the line, I wrap 6-8 inches of RT to prevent unraveling. Then I cut the line in the middle and both ends are 'whipped'...at least temporarily. It allows me to get the line in service immediately and come back later to whip the end correctly.

As a reminder, all RT repairs are intended as temporary in nature. It's not expected to be the final repair. It's always best to go back and replace the part or properly repair it.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #12
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I had never heard of the stuff, until the good folks at Active Captain informed me that they were sending me a free roll. After all the recent hype, I can safely say that I'm looking forward to it more than I've ever looked forward to a roll of tape coming in the mail.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We cracked an engine block about 2 years ago, wound the rescue tape on, had some trouble getting the right shade of red to match the engine paint, been good as gold ever since.
Ok, that`s all BS. The tape sounds good, I`m going to get some. A man would be a fool to himself and a burden unto others not having a roll on board.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Just one question...what is rescue tape..?

Ok...sorry...belay that...I looked it up. I think I have the same sort of stuff, but by a different name. Never needed it...so far...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Rescue tape comes in two widths 1" and 2". What size are people using?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Rescue tape comes in two widths 1" and 2". What size are people using?
The tape we have on board now is 1 inch. However i suspect I might have had an easier time dealing with our problem last Sunday had the tape been 2 inch. The smart solution is to have both on board.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The tape we have on board now is 1 inch. However i suspect I might have had an easier time dealing with our problem last Sunday had the tape been 2 inch. The smart solution is to have both on board.
What was the problem last Sunday?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
I mis-spoke; it was actually Labor Day not Sunday. We had a fair amount of water coming into the boat an a roll of Rescue Tape eventually stopped it. The wider tape would have, I think, made the job easier. Or not; easy to second guess these things after the fact.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #19
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think I have the same sort of stuff, but by a different name. Never needed it...so far...
You do need the Real Deal. In some things a grey market (copy-cat) item is okay, however not in this case. Not in my opinion that is.

Rescue Tape is thicker than the knock-off brands. It is also rated for much higher heat than the cheap stuff. $10 isn't a lot to have something you can depend upon.

And I have the 1" (clear) aboard Seaweed. I like white too as it's easy to spot in the engine room.

The 2" stuff is on the "nice to have but not yet" list. It's lots more expensive.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #20

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
I used it to secure the connection between a 50A cord and a 50A to twin 30A adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0396.jpg  
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote