I average having a drink less than once a month 9 6.87%
I don't drink. 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
I never drink while underway. But I do wear shoes.
Wifey B: Now you have me curious...maybe a correlation....maybe another poll....combining all possible combinations..

I don't think so!
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #42
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. BB (Wifey). Perhaps a poll to correlate drinkers, heavy or otherwise, with those who have the wrong anchor or the wrong footwear. The plot thickens like day old oatmeal...
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. BB (Wifey). Perhaps a poll to correlate drinkers, heavy or otherwise, with those who have the wrong anchor or the wrong footwear. The plot thickens like day old oatmeal...
Wifey B: And those who have had their shoes stolen while viewing a boat at a boat show...allegedly by someone we know on a Nordhavn....

This is almost enough to drive one to drink...

No drinking tonight though...we have a long passage tomorrow
Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I feel tipsy even without drinking underway.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
For us the same alcohol laws that apply to driving a car also apply to boats. And specifically, if at anchor there has to someone on board with a boat license who is under 0.05%. Tied to a dock you are free to drink as much as you want, but of remain responsible for your behavior.

So on the hook it is usually just one drink for me, although a glass of wine at lunch might also be followed by one with dinner as well.
WOW so on the hook you must have a DD??? That would kill us here in the U.S.A.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
WOW so on the hook you must have a DD??? That would kill us here in the U.S.A.....
Wifey B: Maybe laws like that and the 132' Broward Serque wouldn't have just ended up on the beach in Staniel..... Actually we don't know why or how it floated to shore, just that it was a big salvage job getting it off.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #47
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Maybe laws like that and the 132' Broward Serque wouldn't have just ended up on the beach in Staniel..... Actually we don't know why or how it floated to shore, just that it was a big salvage job getting it off.
See drinking provides jobs and income....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #48
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
See drinking provides jobs and income....
Bartenders
Cocktail waitresses
Brewmeisters
7/11 owners
A&D counselors
Police Officers
ER docs and nurses
Bail bondsmen
Morticians

(Just kiddin' y'all; I love the stuff!).
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #49
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Some consider alcohol a solution and according to chemists it is.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #50
Guru

Wifey B: I sort of like felt it but seeing it here sort of still surprises me that 43% drink daily and 69% at least 2-3 times a week. Guess I've led a sheltered life...Not. I wonder how that relates to the general population, same age demographics.

Hubby B: Answering her question a bit, but just for the US. It appears that perhaps this group drinks more frequently than the general population. The percentage of non-drinkers is consistent, but only 56% of the adult population drank in the past month.

However, I think there's another area where this group is different. 25% of those in the US admitted to binge drinking in the past month. That's 5 or more drinks on one occasion or otherwise defined as getting intoxicated or drunk. 7% admitted to binge drinking 5 or more days during the past month. I suspect that the group here is more mature in their drinking habits than that.

So perhaps drinks more regularly or frequently but doesn't follow the pattern of many young people of drinking with the intent of getting drunk.

I do applaud the honesty in answering and the fact this didn't turn into a debate, just information.

I don't think we disclosed our answer earlier.

We would fall in the once or twice a month. We don't drink daily or have a habit of drinking in the evening, but we drink primarily in two situations. We occasionally go to very fine restaurants for multi-course meals where the food is paired with wine. We are by no means wine connoisseurs and have no idea how to pair wines, so we find that interesting and enjoyable. We also occasionally "party" with our friends or guests when none of us have anything important the following day. Typically our drink of choice on those occasions is Champagne. And then we occasionally open Champagne to toast a special occasion of some sort, such as an engagement or something.

Oddly, we just fell into this pattern. No plan. We didn't say this is how much we'll drink. Just fits our lifestyle. Then most days we have the oddest drinking habit of any. We only drink water. No sodas, no tea, no coffee.

Oh and as to beer, we have zero interest. As to mixed drinks or hard liquor or shots or things of that nature, not often. Maybe a couple of times a year. But our alcohol of choice is Champagne.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #51

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Quote:
Oh and as to beer, we have zero interest. As to mixed drinks or hard liquor or shots or things of that nature, not often. Maybe a couple of times a year. But our alcohol of choice is Champagne.
If Champagne is your choice, and you are not a purist, let me recommend trying two shots of limoncello in your flue of champagne on a hot day. Yes please. We learned this combo from our Italian friend while living in the UK.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
If Champagne is your choice, and you are not a purist, let me recommend trying two shots of limoncello in your flue of champagne on a hot day. Yes please. We learned this combo from our Italian friend while living in the UK.
Well, we googled it and may have to try it one day.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #53
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
When wondering if this group drinks more than the general population, have you considered that you posed the original question about how much they drink while cruising.

When we cruise we're often with other boats and friends. In that scenario I drink more once we're anchored or tied to a dock somewhere than I do at home. I probably average 3-4 drinks a day when we're on the boat. At home it's more like 1 or 2 per week.

Possibly your question skewed the results of your poll.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #54
Master and Commander

At a boaters' get-together at dock, it is common to be in party mode!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
When wondering if this group drinks more than the general population, have you considered that you posed the original question about how much they drink while cruising.

When we cruise we're often with other boats and friends. In that scenario I drink more once we're anchored or tied to a dock somewhere than I do at home. I probably average 3-4 drinks a day when we're on the boat. At home it's more like 1 or 2 per week.

Possibly your question skewed the results of your poll.
Wifey B: Good point but my question was what I wanted to know. You're right on hubby's wondering but then he just should wonder if trawler people drink more cruising than people at home or whatever. Sure other people drink more on vacation. So you're right in your point.

I'd say we drink more often at home than cruising but not a lot of diff. But then we don't spend that many weekends at home and even when we're home we're often not, cause we like run to Key West or somewhere. Very few weekends we don't get out on the water.

Thinking back to non boating vacations when we took them and if traveling we didn't drink but like when spending a week somewhere we would sometimes.

Guess the whole thing was we've been surprised at the drinking at a lot of marinas and people doing it every night. We've never been in an environment before where that much drinking took place and the poll does confirm our perceptions. I'm sure people are just as shocked that a wild bratty kid like me and all our friends and we're on the boat at night and not drinking. There's really very little booze consumed on our boat. The poll clearly indicates we're the exception, not the rule, but then I'm use to being the exception, just this time it's flipped and I'm not the "bad girl." We make up for it in other ways I guess. We may rank in the lower 25% on drinking but I bet there are things we rank in the top 1% on.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #56

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I'm my observation, boating attracts drinkers.

But try living in a sailing town in the UK like Lymington or Cows! They put the American "drinkers" into near tee-totaler status.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
The poll clearly indicates we're the exception, not the rule...
Maybe, but you're certainly not the only exception.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Maybe, but you're certainly not the only exception.
Wifey B: No. Just part of the exceptional group. Ooops...that term can be used good or bad....who cares. We'll take it.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #59
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
At a boaters' get-together at dock, it is common to be in party mode!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:25 AM   #60
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm sure everyone has heard some town make this claim:

Annapolis - "A drinking town with a sailing problem."

Yeah, pretty much true.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote