I typically have a drink 2 to 3 times a week 31 24.03%
I average having a drink about once a week 9 6.98%
I average having a drink about once or twice a month 7 5.43%
I average having a drink less than once a month 8 6.20%
I don't drink. 18 13.95%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #101

City: Edmonds
I never drink before or while under way. After we are securely tied up at dock, a beer or gin and tonic before dinner. A glass of red wine with dinner. My favorite nights end with a glass of wine, a guitar, and singing songs with (and about) the people I love.

Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #102

City: Oakland,Ca
I don't drink at all, but I'm not against other folks who do. That said, I'm a proffesional.mariner, and I see a lot of people doing things poorly every day, and I can say with some certainty that the amount of alcohol involved- either chronic or acute application- is directly proportional to the level of seamanship. All the old yacht club alcoholics will argue this point, but they will still want a sober operator to help them home when the time comes, and it comes to everyone eventually.

Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #103
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
I don't drink at all, but I'm not against other folks who do. That said, I'm a proffesional.mariner, and I see a lot of people doing things poorly every day, and I can say with some certainty that the amount of alcohol involved- either chronic or acute application- is directly proportional to the level of seamanship. All the old yacht club alcoholics will argue this point, but they will still want a sober operator to help them home when the time comes, and it comes to everyone eventually.
I disagree...I would say that seamanship might be directly proportional to sobriety...but plenty of completely sober folks don't have a clue either.

I would say the proportion of drinking professional captains has been atrocious through the years. Probably better every moment that goes by....but don't for a moment think every professional skipper out there is completely sober.

I rub elbows at mostly the lower levels but accident reports are better than guessing at who is sober and who is not. Seems that there's enough blame to go around, sober, not sober, experienced, not experienced....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #104
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would say the proportion of drinking professional captains has been atrocious through the years. Probably better every moment that goes by....but don't for a moment think every professional skipper out there is completely sober.
Why do you think that's getting better? Different culture? Different backgrounds of the newer captains? Different age group? Crew members more likely to report the problem? I agree with your comment, just wondering why you think it is.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #105
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Why do you think that's getting better? Different culture? Different backgrounds of the newer captains? Different age group? Crew members more likely to report the problem? I agree with your comment, just wondering why you think it is.
Just different times...both in how/why people are becoming captains , plus the laws, social pressures, and business oversight. None in particular...just all chipping away...just like the airlines.

But like all addiction issues, it will probably never go away unless we become a police state. Before, taking a nip was OK, drunks weren't tolerated for the most part..but the in between guys got away with it.

Nowadays, if you can believe many of the members here, hardly any even take a sip while or contemplating having a drink. When I was a kid, if the captain didn't polish off half the case of beer, it wasn't the norm.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #106
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. I agree with you for the most part but I think a lot of addiction issues can be made to go away without policing IF TPTB started treating the causes of addiction rather than the symptoms (drunks in alleys, crack heads in public parks etc.). The "war" on drugs, for example, is a failure and that's all I'm saying at this point until this thread gets slotted into OTDE.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #107
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Just different times...both in how/why people are becoming captains , plus the laws, social pressures, and business oversight. None in particular...just all chipping away...just like the airlines.
I think there's a big change in those becoming captains today. There are fewer of those who grew up in Eastern NC, father ran a SF charter, he followed along types, and more go to school with the plan to become a captain types.

The two big issues long associated with yacht captains were alcohol and sexual harassment. As those sometimes are seen together, the fact crew members feel a bit more empowered to report the harassment and the alcohol at the same time.

Like any profession though, let's keep in mind that the vast majority are professional.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #108
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I disagree...I would say that seamanship might be directly proportional to sobriety...but plenty of completely sober folks don't have a clue either.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #109
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:
And as to photos, there are none of us due to some restrictions past events placed on us. That's a sacrifice we had to make. We've had to maintain very private lives and even being on forums has been a bold step outside.
Yeah, ain't the Witness Protection Program wonderful!

Just kidding. Your 'prior life' sounds much like ours. We have no restrictions on our photos or information about our life so I often post photos. My Admiral is beautiful and I love showing her off.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #110
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Glass of Scotch, over a fire....

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote