Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #81
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
You may not know how the drinking age got to be 21. When Elizabeth Dole was Secretary of Transportation, she decided to withhold Federal highway funding to any state that didn't have 21 as the legal drinking age.

My thinking is the drinking age should be lowered and the driving age raised. Kids should learn to handle alcohol before they get behind the wheel, not after. Alcohol has become the forbidden fruit for teenagers. We all know what happens with the forbidden fruit.

Yes, because there was and still is, even more so, a very strong wing of the Republican Party that is anti-alcohol, anti-sex, anti-everything.

And I'm a f...ing Republican. It's become down right embarrassing.

Uh Oh, must be the alcohol talking. Alcohol helps people be honest.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #82
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Counts...hubby's allergic to oranges though so no OJ here.
Well, no Grand Marnier for him.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #83
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Wifey B: There's cheap Champagne in every store. We just like the taste and don't like beer. They say beer is an acquired taste. I don't like something I have to work to like.
Exactly. And beer is not to my liking either. Anything described as tasting like warm pee simply doesn't have much appeal.

Now Tia Maria or Kaluha? Those I like. With cream (half and half) or vodka... yummy.

We used to make our own on the boat in gallon jugs twice a year. Alas, I lost the recipe and the ones I've tried thus far have not been the same.

In the course of a year I drank a whole pint of Kahlua so 'tis not like I am much of a drinker. I could like red wine (or plain old cranberry juice -- honestly both are fine in my book) or grape juice.

For my 40th birthday I split a bottle of champagne with a couple of friends. The bubbles were wonderful. I can understand why it's so popular.

I'd rather be aware and enjoy life as it is than through a fog of any sort.

However I do like the taste of some things that contain alcohol. In moderation that works for me.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #84
Guru

City: NC
Quote:

However, I think there's another area where this group is different. 25% of those in the US admitted to binge drinking in the past month. That's 5 or more drinks on one occasion or otherwise defined as getting intoxicated or drunk. 7% admitted to binge drinking 5 or more days during the past month. I suspect that the group here is more mature in their drinking habits than that.
OMG! Call AA, I went binge drinking TWICE last weekend!!

Rah, Roh Scobby but I did not get buzzed much less drunk.... How is that possible?

Well, I was drinking while I was smoking some Salmon, wait a minute, that does not sound legal.... Let me rephrase, "Well, I was drinking while Salmon filets were smoking on the BBQ." Whew, that sounds better.

I had a beer while smoking, err, a, BBQing, then I had a beer while eating the smoked Salmon and Asparagus. Later that night I had another couple of beers. I might have had 4-5 beers but I drank them over a 4-5 hour period. An average sized man will "process" about an ounce of alcohol in an hour, and since I was drinking about an ounce an hour, I did not get buzzed much less drunk. At my weight, I have to drink 5-6 beers in ONE hour to be .08, ie legally drunk.

The definition of binge drinking is BS since it does not take into account how much TIME was taken to drink. Not attacking BandB but the Binge Drinking definition is bogus. Unless we went to consider the *** CALORIE *** aspect of Binge Drinking.

Where many people get into trouble with drinking is because of TIME. They go to a BBQ at the neighbors, be it a boat or house, and start drinking say two beers an hour. After the first hour, they have consumed one beer but their body has removed one beer. After hour two, they have drunk four beers, the body has cleared out two, but two are still in the body. At the end of hour three, another beer has been processed but now three beers are still in the body. Depending on a person's weight, they could be over .08 after three hours, especially a woman because women on average weigh less than men AND women process alcohol slower than men. Most women going into the fourth hour of drinking two beers an hour is going to be over .08 as would some men.

On the other hand, a man or women at the same party, drinking only ONE beer an hour would be ok. At least from an alcohol perspective. Calories are a different matter.

A long party is how many people get into trouble drinking. They might think they are being responsible just drinking a couple of drinks an hour but over TIME, they get into trouble. It gets worse if they are drinking the hard stuff where people are not measuring an ounce, or drinking wine or high gravity beer.

Not many people go grab a six pack and drink it in one hour. THAT is binge drinking.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #85

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Just saw this thread for the first time? ,,, Ha! must have been drinking
I admit I have not read all the posts in this thread, but the Thread Title caught my interest.

I'm pretty much what you'd decribe as a classic binge drinker. I often go without alcohol for months at a time (for many reasons) and then hit it, and hit it HARD. When I can afford the time, I love to sit up at the upper-aft-deck with a cool one (or six), catching the breeze on a summer's night, taking in the awesome sights & sounds, talking about life's wonderful experiences,,,while nursing a case of beer (with friends of course! )

I hang with a crowd that works hard, then likes to play hard. That's just the nature of the game, but these guys are all professionals who know when to call it a night (usually when there's no booze left )
I could go & on, how drinking is actually a hobby of mine, but I'm not going to, because I do not want to encourage irresponsible drinking. That just isn't cool.

To the point though,,, I never drink when in command of INFINITY, whether that's tootling around the cove to purchase some fuel, or on a 12-day passage. I do not want alcohol associated with any bad Juju with the boat,,, - at all. But when she's tucked away safe & sound, and all is right with the world, nothing better than a primo bottle of Red.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #86
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Andy you are talking my language.
I come out of the merchant navy and have been at sea for well over 40 years.
Unlike the US Merch the Aus and UK were not dry, I think the term is awash.
We had strict rules, work hard, play hard. if you can'r get up and do your job your sacked.
Thankfully those days are over and most of our ships etc are dry or low alcohol. I am to old for that life now.
I still enjoy a few beers, rum, red or white wine and Loove a good champagne when I am away on the boat.
I also will have a drink whilst steaming up thru the reef on a hot summers day, there I have said it but in those situations always in moderation.
After all I am an Australian and we have a lot of home industries to support, even the sugar growers, if you don't have it in your coffee at least throw a teaspoon full on the ground and also it makes rum.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #87

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Well there is this so... Repent all ye teetotalers and live longer (and enjoy yourselves) with a regular drink!

People who drink alcohol live longer - NDTV Food
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #88
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
You may not know how the drinking age got to be 21. When Elizabeth Dole was Secretary of Transportation, she decided to withhold Federal highway funding to any state that didn't have 21 as the legal drinking age.

My thinking is the drinking age should be lowered and the driving age raised. Kids should learn to handle alcohol before they get behind the wheel, not after. Alcohol has become the forbidden fruit for teenagers. We all know what happens with the forbidden fruit.
Long before E Dole was in office NY raised their drinking age from 18 to 21. MADD thoughts were well in place as all too many fatalities amongst young people from CT occurred on the drive home. Cell phones, and texting have begun to rival drinking as a hazard but yet to hear the mothers from MADD complaining as these fatalities are in the young kids and parents areas area of responsibility.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #89
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The US Military had pretty well recognized the correlation between DUI and Fatigued Driving 15+ years ago.

My cut was the accidents were caused by fatigue, not the alcohol....the alcohol induced behavior led to the fatigued state. A close but distinctly different set of causal factors.

But there was no direct correlation to many accidents and alcohol....some...but certainly not all.

This is an emotionally charged subject...usually only opinion as few facts have really been factored into a big picture...

A subject not usually seen in its completeness by most.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #90
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. Interesting you mention MADD. Mothers huh? How about including the fathers and call the organization F'n MADD? Not meaning to make light of the terrible situation at all....
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #91
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
My father also. He showed me how stupid drinking is.

This is one parade I don't mind throwing water on.

I have a beer once and awhile and some wine. Alchol as a habit is an addiction. Need to be easily able to go w/o if for a week or two and not think about it.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #92
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: A follow up question for those who do like to have drinks each evening on their boat or someone's boat. Call it social hour or sundowning or whatever.

Where does this fit in with dinner and other activities? Do you have a couple of drinks then eat or eat first. What time do you eat dinner on these nights? On board or restaurant? What time does the happy hour/drinking start? I'm serious in asking this in just thinking about what we're typically doing vs. the others and honestly there are lot's of people I don't notice eating dinner although not like I'm paying that much attention. Maybe they had a large lunch.

Five days with us as an example/comparison:

Day 1 - Let's make this the day we arrive. So we always like to go walking after a day on the boat and explore briefly. We do that, make dinner reservations for 7:00 and all go to dinner. Get back to boat about 9:00 and perhaps a while on the deck or straight into the salon.

Day 2- Busy day site-seeing. We might hit the boat for a break mid day. Then we go till late afternoon. All back to the boat about 6:00-6:30. We grill something for dinner, eat, enjoy company. Much as Day 1, just not eating out.

Day 3-Get out in the tender and explore. See some more land sites. Maybe even some tennis fit in. Dinner much like Day 2.

Day 4-More enjoying the local town. Some entertainment or something we want to see this night. So we make early dinner reservations then enjoy whatever is going on. Back to the boat 10:00 or so.

Day 5-Last day here. We make it fairly relaxing. May go to a gallery or museum or who knows but back to the boat fairly early and dinner on board much like Days 2 and 3.

Day 6-Up and away early. A duplicate of day 1 but new location.

Now I'm sure whether one is at a marina or anchored changes the evening a good bit.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #93

Quote:

And as to photos, there are none of us due to some restrictions past events placed on us. That's a sacrifice we had to make. We've had to maintain very private lives and even being on forums has been a bold step outside.
Sounds very exciting and I am more intrigued now. I'm picturing ex secret agents or witness protection program. But at the same time I also can't help suspecting that this forum is an experiment.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #94
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Sounds very exciting and I am more intrigued now. I'm picturing ex secret agents or witness protection program. But at the same time I also can't help suspecting that this forum is an experiment.
Lots of us choose not to post many pictures or use TF as a social media tool. Some do, reasons for both.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #95
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. BB. "...just thinking about what we're typically doing..." I don't want to know!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
But at the same time I also can't help suspecting that this forum is an experiment.
Perhaps in opening up a bit, being involved in a forum without going too far. We certainly live under fewer limitations than we once did.

We don't do facebook or twitter, but do enjoy three forums we're on, and have even had the good fortune to become acquainted further with a few members.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. BB. "...just thinking about what we're typically doing..." I don't want to know!
Wifey B: That sort of goes down with "This page left intentionally blank" as never truisms. Perhaps don't want details, but curiosity always up when one says that.

Could be eating ice cream. We freaking love ice cream. Well, except no Blue Bell. Sure glad that's not what we had in our freezer. Or our bellies.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #98
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. s. Interesting you mention MADD. Mothers huh? How about including the fathers and call the organization F'n MADD? Not meaning to make light of the terrible situation at all....
I like it.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #99

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
For us happy hour starts at 4:00 pm with a couple of gin and tonics. As we finish those, around 6:00, we start dinner while having a glass of red wine. Another glass with dinner, and then we're pretty much done, with maybe the occasional after dinner puff or two. Pretty much the routine for the last 35 years of marriage and no reason to change now. Obviously if the need arises we can be teetotalers. A prime example is on the hook in threatening weather, or being responsible for others. Always sober underway.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #100
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Aaaahhh. Gin-and-tonics ....