Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #21

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Thanks Skipperdude and JD for the reference.
I sent a private message to Karl yesterday about moving his boat to Fort Lauderdale but I understand he may not want to do that as it makes the boat harder to use.
If he does not want to move it here I suggested he get a broker who is really close to the boat. There are lots of good brokers around but having a broker close to the boat is very important, I also believe having the boat where buyers will see it easliy is more important. Deerfield beach, FL is only 18 miles from Fort lauderdale but Fort Lauderdale is where the buyers go to see boats, buyers from all over the US and many other countries.
The more expensive the boat, the farther a buyer will travel to inspect it in most cases. Nordhavn buyers will travel long distances to see a boat, for boats in the lower price ranges, (relative to boats), the travel cost to inspect, survey and then move the boat home will often be too much to travel far away.
But here are some suggestions on how to pick a broker.
Find a broker who has done this for years, the more the better.
Find a brokerage company that has been in business for a long time.
Find a brokerage company that has a general market, that sells many types of boats from trawlers to go fast. A Californian may not qualify as a trawler to some buyers, but an aft deck motor yacht can appeal to many trawlers type buyers.
Find a broker who has an office, preferably nearby. There are many cyberspace brokers now who have listings all over the country but have not even seen many of them in person.
Find a broker who is a member of one of the brokerage associations as they have educational seminars and work closer with other brokers for a co-brokerage sale. Some brokers are part of the national Certified Professional Yacht Broker program, but it is still a fairly recent program.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #22

I have developed a checklist to provide sellers on how to choose a yacht broker for selling their boat

http://www.paradiseyachtsales.net/Ch...Your_Yacht.pdf
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Jeff@qpsmarine.com

He has a company, a Marine and large experience

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Seek and Ye Shall Find!

A good boat deal that is, during these economic times - in nearly any state and in most areas!

In these matters: Patience Is A Virtue! Perseverance A Must!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I haven't read every word on this thread but in case it hasn't been mentioned I'd ask local surveyors. They deal w the brokers all the time and should have some objective input. However, they could be working as a team w the brokers to expand their business and get your money into their pockets instead of the other guys and the other guys could be the best brokers.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
May I recommend:

Paradise Yacht Sales

Boat Hull, Gelcoat Blisters and Hydrolysis

Mike Dickens – Phone: 904.556.9431 / Fax: 866.846.2389 / paradiseyachtsales@gmail.com

Paradise Yachts, LLC, Organized Under the Laws of the State of Florida

Physical Location
1600 North 14th Street
Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034

Mail Address
1417 Sadler Road, Box 183
Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034

We used Mike and Mary from Paradise Yachts as a buyers broker when we purchased our boat last winter. They were professional, honest and worked hard for us. I would recommend them.
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
I indicate Jeff Garcia, a French guy that already navigate a lot and now, is the owner of QPS Marine.
Jeff@qpsmarine.com
(954) 296-9066
Visit www.qpsmarine.com

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I can third the Rec for Tucker, he set me on the right path for selling my old boat, even though it was priced WELL below his normal range.

I actually used Joe Hamilton, at Advantage yachts in Stuart (not too far from Deerfield) and I have nothing but good to say about him. He was professional, fair and honest all the way through. I believe that John Nall, who is also on this forum, and bought my boat, would say the same thing. Shoot me an email if you want Joe's contact info.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Doug Cole wrote:

"I actually used Joe Hamilton, at Advantage yachts in Stuart (not too far from Deerfield) and I have nothing but good to say about him. He was professional, fair and honest all the way through. I believe that John Nall, who is also on this forum, and bought my boat, would say the same thing."

Yes, I would indeed say the same thing about Joe Hamilton. I highly recommend him. And just as a general comment to the whole thread, irregardless of whatever apparent qualifications a broker may or may not have, I personally believe that the most important thing is to talk to someone who has dealt with that particular broker. That is the point at which the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #30

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Have you talked to Julee Jackson. Was with Hal Jones for years. Now with HMY. She lives on her trawler. Based at Stuart office.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Deerfield Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Morning Star
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Californian CPMY
Thanks everyone for your feedback. This has been very interesting and educational. I'm still in the stage of deciding whether I will list it. I'll keep you all posted with what I do. I only received private emails from a few brokers, so that was not so overwhelming. Again, thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Deerfield Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Morning Star
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Californian CPMY
Does anyone have any experience or opinion on Peter Kehoe & Associates in Pompano BEach, Florida?