Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Cruiser

With that sweet boat all I would need is the time.

Nice dream.

I dream of having the time to just do nothing while on my boat in PWS.

Some day.

MauleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Cruising

We did make the trip from Seattle to Valdez when we bought the boat.

Wonderful trip except for the Gulf of Alaska crossing. Kind of long there.

wish we could do it again, just my wife and I.

MauleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have not been very far, mostly local, but have funny story.

Being I do not like taking the Eagle out and always glad to be back tied to the dock. Most of the cruise are 2 for 4 hour from one dock to another dock. The first time we moored at Everett commercial dock, we came from Seattle, 30 miles. A few of the commercial guys assist us docking, where getting ready to head to Alaska. I was so happy thankful, I said, “I am really happy that cruise is over with, and thank you for your help.” For some reason, reason they thought we had cruised/come from a long ways. They asked, “Where are you from?” I respond with pride, “Seattle!” At which point they burst out laughing, “Seattle?” To this day they ask me, “Are you going on any long trips this year?’

Nobody believes that I will ever throw off the lines and head for Alaska/Canada. I tell them as long as the cruises are under 8 hours/day, can tie to a dock, and eat at a restaurant we should be able to make it.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #24

Cruised from San Diego, CA to Olympia, WA in 1992 and have cruised the San Juan and Gulf Islands since then. Farthest north we've been is to Desolation Sound and the awesome Princess Louisa Inlet and falls.
MEI LEE
1983 Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht
Hull No. 809
melkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #25

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
On my last boat From Va Beach to the keys and back to stuart and across to the west coast and back i think we figured almost 2,000 miles winter before last.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #26

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
In 2001 we purchased our cruising boat in San Diego California and brought it back home to the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife and I had a total crew of 5 (3 boating friends joined us). We did San Diego to Santa Catalina Island, then on to Santa Barbara, Coho anchorage near Pt. Conception, Morro Bay, Monterey, Half Moon Bay then into San Francisco Bay and on to our home town of Benicia. Spent two years getting the boat ready for long term live aboard cruising. In October of 2003 we sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned left. Essentially we stopped a the same ports we had stopped at when we brought the boat home adding Long Beach and Oceaside on the way back down the coast.

In late October that year we joined in with 125 + boats and did the Baja Ha Ha down to Cabo San Lucas. The Ha Ha is primarily a sail boat "race / trek" from San Diego to Cabo but that year we were one of 6 power boats they graciously had placed in the "No Comprende" division. Several sets of friends crewed on the way down and some good and highly experienced boating friends (couple) joined us from San Diego to Cabo.

The boat is still in Mexico and we have just completed our 9th year of cruising. We did the Sea of Cortes twice, once for a month and the second time for 2 months. What was really wonderful was during the 2 month voyage we spent only 4 days in a Marina, stopping in La Paz to Provision and take on fuel on the way out and on the way back to our home port in Puerto Vallarta. Almost 60 glorious days of "hanging on the hook" at 20 or 30 different anchorages buying lobsters and clams from local fisherman, exploring little villiages where people literally lived off the land and sea. We kayaked, fished, snorkled and had a great time. We have been down the Mexican coast as far south as Zihautanejo and as far north as San Carlos on the mainland and as far north as Santa Rosalia in the Sea of Cortes. The last couple of years we have confined our seasonal cruising to the Mexican Gold Coast (Puerto Vallarta to Manzanillo).

Our origional plan was to cruise as far south as the Panama Canal and go on to Florida. Because of health reasons we decided not to cruise the very isolated Central American coast (in Mexico the medical facilities are decent and reasonably available and the Mexican Navy deals fairly well with medical emergencies at sea - in Centeral Ameria you are pretty much on you own until you get to Costa Rica). Oh well the dream was still lived.

We have finally decided that our long range cruising days are pretty much over and have put Freedom up for sale. We will probably get something smaller to use in the California Delta. By the way the picture of Freedom at anchor is at Isla Isbella. Isbella is about 1/2 way between Puerto Vallarta and Matzatlan an about 20 miles off shore. You can go ashore (the main island is about 200 yards directly off the stern). Isabella is a major rookery for Blue Footed Boobys and Frigate Birds.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Canada to Key West - the loop next!
BelfastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: Trenton
The little loop.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #29
Guru

I have had my 34' MT from the upper chesapeake to keywest 4 times mostly alone now with a bigger boat.......The islands next
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
2011:

We start the Great Loop in September (5,500 mi).
That is my dream!

If only I can convince the Admrial.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauleOne View Post
We did make the trip from Seattle to Valdez when we bought the boat.

Wonderful trip except for the Gulf of Alaska crossing. Kind of long there.

wish we could do it again, just my wife and I.

Do you keep your boat in Valdez?

All winter???
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkowal View Post
Cruised from San Diego, CA to Olympia, WA in 1992 and have cruised the San Juan and Gulf Islands since then. Farthest north we've been is to Desolation Sound and the awesome Princess Louisa Inlet and falls.
MEI LEE
1983 Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht
Hull No. 809

That sounds like a great trip.

How did your boat do up the California coast? I've heard horror stories about that area.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #33
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
The Inside Passage, Everett WA to Glacier Bay and back. Bellingham to Prince Rupert and back. Prince Rupert BC to Glacier Bay and back, this summer being the tenth time so far. Posted from Sitka - sadly nearing the end of this summer's cruise.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #34

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
since we're still working, time is limited. We've run the Chesapeake from Norfolk up through the canal to the Delaware (250 or so miles). From Trenton NJ to Cape May out to the Atlantic up to New York. Will be towing a 19' center consol to the Outer Banks next month (did that trip twice before). Have chartered in the US Virgins, St Martin, Aruba and the Keys
John
Mainship 390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #35
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
We bought our Californian 34 about 6 years ago. We have, and still are, cruising as much of the Cheasapeake Bay as we can get to. Not much for marinas, prefe rring to anchor in one of the many , many creeks & coves that abound in the Bay's shoreline. In November, 2009 we moved the boat to New Bern, NC; leaving from there irr January to cruise the ICW to the Keys via Ft Myers & the Gulf. Returning in May, we came up the ICW thru Miami. We hope to be able to repeat parts of the trip this year, but cruise Florida's west coast before heading back to the Bay & points North.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #36

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
You don't need a trawler for coastal boating. This little 18' cuddy was our cruiser as well as our camper.

Alaska

Bahamas

Key West

San Diego

Block Island

Over 100 different ramps across the US.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Guru

City: Pensacola
St Marks Florida to Pensacola Via GOMEX and ICW
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
Guru

Our previous boat we have had in the Hudson and Erie, and to the Chesapeake 3 diffent summers for 3 weeks.
Currently we are on our Albin in Little Current in the North Channel via the Hudson, Erie and Oswego canals, Trent Severn waterway and the Georgian Bay.
Right now we are at just over 1000 nautical miles and will start our way back to Ct tiomorrow morning so we can be back by mid to late September.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Keeping in mind that at the moment we know nothing, and that we are YEARS away from being comfortable enough to make this trip, this couple's trip through the panama canal is a dream:

California to Florida via the Panama Canal
Shantyhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Smithers/Prince Rupert, BC
Vessel Name: Ai Tu Taki
Vessel Model: 1978 Tollycraft 30 Sedan
We brought our new to us boat from Olympia, WA to Prince Rupert, BC. This trip was made at the end of February and if you know the local weather at that time of year everybody thought we were nuts. We had one of the Admiral's brothers on board and he was taking pictures as we rounded Cape Caution. Isn't it beautiful he says. Yes but not in the way you are thinking. It was flat calm and we were on the flybridge in tee shirts. I still don't believe it. That can be a nasty piece of water. We managed to stay ahead of a storm coming from the south and had smooth sailing except for the last day when it finally caught up to us. That was nasty even in the inside.

TedB_BC is offline   Reply With Quote