Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Granted I was there a bit over 10 years ago, so hopefully things are more civilized these days.
We were there two weeks ago...so maybe a bit different.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #22

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
We just bought our boat. Our vision is to use it as a weekend cabin in Seattle. We have no illusions of long trips at the moment since we are not retired and have a long long way to go before that happens. We used to live in Seattle, but now live way out in the burbs. We miss city amenities and so we keep the boat in the city so we can cruise the lakes and head over to close harbors occasionally on the weekends. Tomorrow we are heading through the locks and over to Poulsbo.

It remains to be seen if we use the boat as we originally envisioned. But the goal is to use it at least 2-3 weekends a month if even just to sit there and drink a beer and accomplish a little project.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #23

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
We will use Lollygag to cruise to Alaska and Mexico. We have cruised to Mexico before, abeit in a sailboat, but have never been to Alaska. We bought the boat specifically to cruise. Right now we are the primary caregivers for Sue's parents but expect that to change in the next year or so. Then we'll be an extended family with Sue's mom. We own our house and boat so mom will have her choice of where to live and when to travel. For the forseeable future we will be in the delta getting ready, installing equipment and getting familiar with how she sails.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #24
Guru

City: West Coast
Five years ago, we bought our boat with the intention of having it in the PNW for summers and Mexico for winters. Actually our intentions predate that by two years when we placed the order. We have been north and few times, and south every winter, but the situation in Mexico has put a real damper on my family's (wife and three daughters) interest in going there. When the boat is in town, we spend at least a week a night on it and have plenty of parties as well. We also enjoy cruises with our YC, and my buddies and I make several fishing trips a year.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Sometimes I drink champagne on the fly bridge and snicker at all the little people.
Sometimes I dump buckets of cash on the master state room bunk and roll around in it.
Other times I cruise around the harbor with it and ask other boaters if they have any Grey Poupon.
I don't own a large boat but when I do, Bligh's idea sounds good.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My big little boat provides a variety of different enjoyment, both at my home marina and out cruising.

It is a place to bring the family together.
It is my platform for adventure.
It is a place where my wife & I can meet and "greet"
It is a fishing platform.
It is a cocktail bar.
It is my place of meditation.
It is my man-cave.
It is overflow accommodation for visitors.
It is where I can do nothing or anything.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #27
Guru

6 weeks summer Northwest cruising and the rest of the year one to two hours about every two weeks fresh water run Lake Washington Seattle Wa. Lunch aboard about 5 times a week. Total of approximately 250 engine hours/year.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #28
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Pretty much what AusCan so eloquently stated. With the boat docked a mile and a half from my house, it's something of a full time and delightful presence. I strive to do as much maintenance and improvement work as I can, (mostly) enjoying it. 3 to 4 weeks a summer in Gulfport for weekend runs with grand kids to Horn Island, usually an annual "cruise" to Perdido/Pensacole area. The rest tends to be daily ops on Pontchartrain/Rigolets. Life is good.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
My big little boat provides a variety of different enjoyment, both at my home marina and out cruising.

It is a place to bring the family together.

It is my platform for adventure.

It is a place where my wife & I can meet and "greet"

It is a fishing platform.

It is a cocktail bar.

It is my place of meditation.

It is my man-cave.

It is overflow accommodation for visitors.

It is where I can do nothing or anything.

Our little Owens Huck Finn raft serves those purposes too and after 20 knots the smile it puts on our face is priceless. I am enjoying reading how others plan use of their larger boats though.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thanks for all the replies guys!

It makes me happy to know that we're on a similar track to others.

I have to tell you that while our boat is very comfortable, you do give up things moving from a smaller boat.

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it. If we were just going to spend weekends out going fishing I'd rather have our 28' boat. It was fast, it was comfortable enough for a weekend, and it was a great fishing boat. We could make a 90NM each way run, fish our hearts out in the Gulf of Alaska, and be back at work on Monday morning.

The big boat has a much different purpose. It looks to me like most other large boat owners feel the same way. They use them as second homes.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
So far our big little boat has been a platform for :
!. Me to improve my boat carpentry
2. The both of us to improve on paint and varnish skills
3. me to get a grip on boat mechanics ,plumbing and electrical
4. Great place to meet new people along with cruisers headed south .
We just took the saw horses off the back deck last spring . We are still doing some painting and some other projects as always but we have the boat where we can take some long weekends with a 60 to 80 mile round trip .It's been great.
We still dream of larger boats and cruising off to far destinations but in reality we know it ain't happening . This is the boat for us for now and probably will be forever . We'll just keep throwing hard work and boat bucks at her /him . When we show up to relax,cruise or work on William it always puts a smile on our face . Until that goes away William is the one .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
In 3 years with my Offshore 54 I have travelled from San Diego to Acapulco and north to Prince William Sound. We average over 450 hrs per year and are trying to spend as much time as possible exploring and enjoying life in our 60's. We fish, shrimp, explore, cook wonderful meals and enjoy the occassional bottle of wine.
We also take pictues for our future enjoyment when our travelling days are in the rear view mirror. Even now I get a kick out of reliving that joy of time spent in places we may never visit again. We named our boat Libertad (Spanish for FREEDOM) because it gives us freedom we could never have imagined when we were land bound.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #33

City: Sarasota
I just signed onto trawler forum today and found an offshore 54.I purchased an 2001 offshore 54 in October in curaçao and i am crusing to florida. I am currently in st Lucia .
I would like to correspond with other offshore 54 owners
ToCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
My Wife and I do contract work in the Radiation safety field at nuclear power plants up and down the east coast. Instead of renting a house/hotel for a couple months we just take the boat and stay at a marina close to the plant. Then after work we usually take off and cruise the keys or outter banks wherever we choose. The last couple seasons tried to make the Bahamas but the weather shut us out. Since we work and cruise we have the dreaded schedule to keep up with (not a good thing to have on board). We live on the boat about 8-9 months/yr, the rest at our home in SC.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCher View Post
I just signed onto trawler forum today and found an offshore 54.I purchased an 2001 offshore 54 in October in curaçao and i am crusing to florida. I am currently in st Lucia .
I would like to correspond with other offshore 54 owners
Happy to correspond. Mine is same year as yours with the Cummins 450C's. I have had it for almost 4 years abd travelled between Manzanillo and Prince William Sound without a significant hitch. So far I have put on approx 1400 hrs.

You can private message me for chit chat off the public record.

Larry
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #36

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
During the first two years of having our 58Vantare it was all about the working to get things operational. The last two year we have been living aboard full time in the California Delta and now Alameda taking care of some of the comfort items. In 7 months we plan to head slowly towards San Diego and join up for the 2015 CUBAR, spending the next few years in Mexico.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
.................... After a few winter cruises in South Florida this winter, we will start working our way North. This time probably short stays in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. We would like to do the St. Johns. ............ .
We are thinking of cruising the St. Johns River again this May/June so we might run into you. This time I want to stop in St. Augustine first.

As far as how we use our trawler (it's not "large"), we keep it at a marina near our home and often spend weekends on it without leaving the dock. We sometimes pick up lunch and eat on the boat if we are nearby. A few times a year we head out on "cruises". Anywhere from a few days to a couple months or more.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
In 7 months we plan to head slowly towards San Diego and join up for the 2015 CUBAR, spending the next few years in Mexico.
Isn't the CUBAR the rally to Cuba? I think the one to Mexico has a different name. Is it the FUBAR?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Well I'm getting ready to learn something. Always thought the trip down was called the Baja Ha Ha and the return trip north the Baja Bash.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
WHAT IS CUBAR:
An acronym for Cruise Underway to Baja Rally. A powerboat cruise from San Diego, CA to La Paz, B.C., Mexico. It was formerly known as FUBAR (Fleet Underway to Baja Rally).

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote