Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #61
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Lewis View Post
Nothing ruins a peaceful morning on the hook in a quite anchorage like the sound of someone's generator. We heat water in a teapot on the propane stove and pour it through a Malita filter into a cup or thermos.
An elitist's - Whaaaa!

I recommend ear plugs if any boater does not want to hear the general goings on that make-up the boating world. 30 to 45 minutes of a well tuned, clean running, well muffled, considerably quite genset at 9 ish in the morn - or for that matter 6 ish in the eve - anchored well separated, is (should be) no real problem to others. There are many situations that call for low decibel human actuated sounds to occur throughout the day in the boating world... most for the purpose of elevating family enjoyments.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #62
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
An elitist's - Whaaaa!

I recommend ear plugs if any boater does not want to hear the general goings on that make-up the boating world. 30 to 45 minutes of a well tuned, clean running, well muffled, considerably quite genset at 9 ish in the morn - or for that matter 6 ish in the eve - anchored well separated, is (should be) no real problem to others. There are many situations that call for low decibel human actuated sounds to occur throughout the day in the boating world... most for the purpose of elevating family enjoyments.
Guess they really hated me when I would buzz them in a USCG helo while smiling and waving..

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #63
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Guess they really hated me when I would buzz them in a USCG helo while smiling and waving..
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #64

City: Maine
I'm a coffee snob, so I get my whole beans from Al Ameed in Kuwait. I grind the beans and then I use a thermal coffee maker. The grinder is more important than the maker itself. If all of the grounds are the same size and shape, you are assured of the most accurate amount of surface area in which the water makes contact with the ground, ensuring a better flavor. Hot plate style makers heat the bottom of the carafe and have a tendency to raise the acidity level in the coffee after just a few minutes. Plus, the grinder uses less amps than the hot plate style maker and so does the thermal style maker.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #65
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Ok guys... Be nice!

We tried the percolator this morning. I have a little in-line digital AC ammeter to check stuff like this. It drew 8 amps while percolating (maybe 5 minutes?) and dropped to less than 1 amp after that. I am not sure if it runs thru heating cycles to keep it hot or not after the perc stage. Tomorrow I will do the same thing with the $12 POS Target Mr. Coffee machine we usually use. I have to admit that the percolator coffee tastes pretty good (especially with Bailey's Irish Cream in it). The downside is that it's a bit more of a PITA to clean. Well, for Bess to clean.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #66

City: WA
Quote:
There are lots of unnatural noises that break the silence of an anchorage...including your arrival if your the second boat...so to blame a generator for ruining your day is a tough way to enjoy the cruising life....
It doesn't ruin my day. Just the peacefulness of the morning. I like it when everyone tries to keep those unnatural sounds to a minimum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RKL_2697.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	13332  
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #67
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Lewis View Post
It doesn't ruin my day. Just the peacefulness of the morning. I like it when everyone tries to keep those unnatural sounds to a minimum.
OK - - > I Agree with you Rusty... I believe some of the sounds should be not much before 9AM or after 6PM... i.e., in general, sounds to a minimum!

Cheers, Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun Rise Through Mstr Strm Window-Door.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	13333  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #68
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Sitting here at the mountain cabin enjoying a cup of mountain coffee. Made with pure mountain well water (no chlorine) and perked. The air is cooling and there is a tinge of color on the leaves. Yes, morning coffee in the mountains is the best.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #69
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
OK - - > I Agree with you Rusty... I believe some of the sounds should be not much before 9AM or after 6PM... i.e., in general, sounds to a minimum!

Cheers, Art
Early morning, sitting in a quiet anchorage with other boats around, the water is still, coffee in hand, the sounds of nature, and what's that I hear? It sounds like a roar. Yes, it is the roar of the Raritan.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #70
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Really can't argue with that, Dan. My favorite moment for coffee has always been above 5000 ft..
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #71
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Early morning, sitting in a quiet anchorage with other boats around, the water is still, coffee in hand, the sounds of nature, and what's that I hear? It sounds like a roar. Yes, it is the roar of the Raritan.
Now, Don, you've really gone and done it! You speak of a delightful coffee time, and, we'd simply been discussing sounds from relitively clean doings. But - Then - You bring in Bathroom Humor! That willl get us all nowhere!!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #72
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
The roar of the head in the morning after the first cup of coffee is a reassuring sound indicating all systems are "go".
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #73
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Generators are just part of the experience. Its like bugs. You have to just deal with them sometime to enjoy the big picture.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
73 (now 74) responses to "How do you make coffee?"

I guess we should be able to do it now if we couldn't before.

As for the "roar of the Raritan", a friend once described scene he observed:

Waking up one morning in an anchorage, he was sitting and drinking his morning coffee when he saw a stunning looking, scantilly clad young woman walk out on the bow of a neighboring boat. Then, she turned, squatted, and took a dump off the bow.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #75
Art
Guru

Ron - Really now! I was previously enjoying input to this thread.... GEEEEZZZZ!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #76

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
We have friends that fire up their gen-set when they unplug at the dock. They turn it off when they return. In July during the heat wave we had to run ours 24-7 for 3 days.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #77
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There are lots of unnatural noises that break the silence of an anchorage...including your arrival if your the second boat...so to blame a generator for ruining your day is a tough way to enjoy the cruising life....
True enough but I think Rusty makes a good point. We don't use the marine parks in the San Juans that much anymore as we have other destinations that we prefer now. But during the boating season in the parks there are always people either on the docks or at a buoy running their generators all day. Even when they go for walks they leave the generator going. And the folks with electric galleys are constantly firing up their generators trhoughout the day to heat water or microwave something. And as FF points out, if you're downwind of these boats it can make for a pretty unpleasant day.

Some boats have very quiet generators but they never seem to be the ones that run for hours at a time. It's always the people with loud, booming or droning generators. Of course the worst are the people with portable Honda generators who fire them up and leave them running for hours on the foredeck or the dock.

The parks have a curfew for generators--- IIRC it's 9:00am to 9:00pm but I could be off on that by an hour or so. But there were plenty of boaters who cranked them up on the dot or even before or ran them in the evening right up to the night cutoff.

In southern waters I can understand the need as AC seems to be pretty much a requirement for boating in the Gulf and along the east coast.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #78
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
............... In southern waters I can understand the need as AC seems to be pretty much a requirement for boating in the Gulf and along the east coast.
You realize, I hope, that some people in the South don't even have air conditioning in their homes. And our service men and women don't have it in their tents in Iraq and Afganistan.

No doubt it's nice to have, but a requirement?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #79

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I lived in Vero Beach for 8 years and I never saw a house without one. It is just to damp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You realize, I hope, that some people in the South don't even have air conditioning in their homes. And our service men and women don't have it in their tents in Iraq and Afganistan.

No doubt it's nice to have, but a requirement?
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #80
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman;106031
No doubt it's nice to have, but a [B
requirement[/B]?
From the posts on this forum from people who boat down there it sure sounds like it is if you want to be comfortable. The times I've been in Virginia and North and South Carolina in the summer the people I met who didn't have air conditioning in their homes, cars, etc. all wanted it and the people who did have it wanted more. And it's sure a requirement for me when I'm there.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee