Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: How do you have your dock lines setup?

Quote:
Willy wrote:
There are times in these waters when my 8.5 knot boat ( max ) gets pushed backwards. Them times you thought you might beat the tide only to find ya blew it and are stuck with no place to go but ever so slowly backwards.

*On occasion in my sailboat days,*we'd set out an anchor and pull ahead of the fleet.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #42
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

Charles is correct in his assesment of docking. The fact that there is a large tidal range on the west coast is irrelevant. The floating docks with the bull rails is the issue. To moor to these (Correctly tying the boat to the dock) is just using a "two part line". the eye is passed through the bull rail back to the vessel and adjusted as necessary aboard the boat. Not only does the 2 part line reduce chafe, it almost doubles the strength of the line.
Like many other people on this forum, I have work and played in many different parts country with varying tidal ranges/currents/docks and what works,works. A walk down a typical marina set up will reveal much more than who has the shiniest boat and the latest electronic widgets.

Savy marina operators don't want your mooring lines coiled or flemished on their wood docks because they cause rot.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Just two bits.......

I have never ever tied to a fixed piling.

Will......how far can you pee?

Eric
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

The way I see it...those who have never done a lot of things with a boat maybe shouldn't be so adamant what may or may not be correct.

I've boated from Alaska to Key West and understand 30 foot tides to wind tides (if you don't know what wind tide is...maybe you should read more and post less).

There are places on the east Coast with 20+ foot tides and you tie to a stone wharf or piling...because there aint no floating dock.

If you ever need to tie to a fixed object in 20 foot tides...you better be comfortable in doing it or move on.

Arguing on whether it should or shouldn't be done is rediculous...there are ways of getting a line off a high object like using a toggle/fid and a recovery tag line...to say it's dangerous is a function of IF it can hang up or not...you do have to be smarter than the line.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
Guru

Sorry Scott......Did'nt mean to offend anyone or imply tying to piles was stupid. As you can see 100' mooring lines would not even be enough to use up here. If I was to tie to a pile I'd need more experience and knowledge than I possess now. I just would'nt know what to do. We here in the PNW do'nt have the need to tie to piles........and in my case just do'nt know anything about it. I knew there was something to learn here so I'm still glad I asked about it.

Eric
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #46
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We have two sets of bumpers and lines.*6 round bumpers and pre cut to length lines tied/left on the dock and 2 round, 8 cylinder bumpers and lines on the boat which are let down/secured/set before we enter the marina.**So what ever the situation there is no need to switching things around.* A lot depends on the pucker factor, dock/slip/wind/current, how the actual docking is done/goes and many times has not gone as planned.* So I plan/set for a pucker factor of 10.*I can control/move the bow and/or stern so if somebody wants to haul one end in, then I will take care of the other.

We have bull rails on our dock.* However, I installed 6 cleats which made securing lines easier.* The lines and bumpers left/tied on the dock are tied to the bull rail and the cleats are for the additional line left on the boat.* We also have two 12 ft long poles that we have used instead of lines to push/pull the boat to/from the dock.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
How do you have your dock lines setup?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
In fact the San Juan Islands may have more troublesome currents than SEA. Currents in the vicinity of Friday Harbor can make a trawlerman wish he had a planing hull from time to time.
You got that right.* But I would have thought the currents in SE Alaska could get as strong as down here.* Of course the really big-time tidal currents are between Vancouver Island and the mainland between Campbell River and Cape Caution.* Huge volumes of water flowing in and out through very narrow passages.

For people unfamiliar with this area, here are some shots from the web of some of our more notorious rapids, although there are many other similar but less dramatic ones.* All these rapids do this four times a day, the only difference being every other time they are going the other way.* Sometimes slack water is only 15 minutes long.

All of these passes are traversed by everything from sailboats to cruisers like ours*to tugs and barges.* You just have to do your current calculations accurately and time your arrival correctly.

And no, the second shot is not on a river.* It is, in fact, the same rapids as the next two photos.*

And everyone here from the PNW should know the last photo because I daresay every one of us has been through it at least once and probably knows this view by heart.* It's Dodd Narrows just south of Nanaimo.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 5th of January 2012 06:57:35 PM
Attached Thumbnails
yaculta.jpg   dent2.jpg   dent 3.jpg   dent.jpg   dodd.jpg  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

this is so interesting.*

A friend sold his 50+ footer and gave us his heavy docklines which chain to the cleats.* We leave them at our home slip, one at each corner.* in addition we have two spring lines on the side we tie close to (if that makes sense, we are up against the dock on one side for boarding and have a couple feet on the other side).* We are on floating docks.* we have tried various configurations of lines in our slip and this works fine, even in storms.* More spring lines didn't seem to get us anything.*

When we are traveling, we have a plethora of dock lines to choose from in various lengths.* Typically, coming in to an unfamiliar slip I will have bow and stern lines ready on both sides and I bring them to the respecitve midships gate and wrap them loosely once on the cleat so they don't accidentially slip into the water and wrap a prop.* Again

Once I can figure out which side of the boat I am going to be able to get to the dock from first (sometimes don't know until the last minute) I get both bow and stern lines in hand and get ready to step onto the dock (no heroic leaps for me).* Typically I will secure the stern line first but sometimes my husband is already down from the flybridge at this point, in which case he take the stern and I the bow.* Once we have one side secured we futz with the other and last we play around with the springs to see what works in the conditions in that slip (current, wind).* We usually end up with at least two springs.*

It is always an adventure and a learning experience.* All docks in this area are floating.* I cannot imagine having to allow for tidal fluctuation. Though someday I hope to do the loop so I will have to learn.

All this dock line talk assumes the fenders were deployed prior to entering the slip.* Docking under a covered slip is a whole new challenge for us that we first encountered last summer and fenders hanging along your hull do not do squat to keep our wooden hand rail off the roof supports.* We noticed all the locals have the big round beach ball fenders permanently in their slips and as we plan to spend five months in the delta this summer I will invest in some of those for my slip.* I think it will be well worth the reduction in*pucker factor!!*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #49
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
Marin wrote:nomadwilly wrote:
In fact the San Juan Islands may have more troublesome currents than SEA. Currents in the vicinity of Friday Harbor can make a trawlerman wish he had a planing hull from time to time.
You got that right.* But I would have thought the currents in SE Alaska could get as strong as down here.* Of course the really big-time tidal currents are between Vancouver Island and the mainland between Campbell River and Cape Caution.* Huge volumes of water flowing in and out through very narrow passages.

For people unfamiliar with this area, here are some shots from the web of some of our more notorious rapids, although there are many other similar but less dramatic ones.* All these rapids do this four times a day, the only difference being every other time they are going the other way.* Sometimes slack water is only 15 minutes long.

All of these passes are traversed by everything from sailboats to cruisers like ours*to tugs and barges.* You just have to do your current calculations accurately and time your arrival correctly.

And no, the second shot is not on a river.* It is, in fact, the same rapids as the next two photos.*

And everyone here from the PNW should know the last photo because I daresay every one of us has been through it at least once and probably knows this view by heart.* It's Dodd Narrows just south of Nanaimo.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 5th of January 2012 06:57:35 PM

*Wow...and I thought they were pictures of coastal Maine
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #50
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
this is so interesting.......

__________________________________________________ ____
Very well written.....short, concise & informative. I wish more members would take this approach, as then it wouldn't take me 20 minutes, twice a day, to get through all the posts.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
psneeld wrote:*Wow...and I thought they were pictures of coastal Maine
*Yeah, you guys have tidal ranges that make it look like we don't have any.* We drove along a bit of the Bay of Fundy on our trip to PEI the other year, and while we were not in the vicinity long enough to observe the tidal action there I know it can get up to 50' or so on occasion.

The tides were very impressive at PEI, too, with high tide lapping the lawn in front of our cottage and low tide barely visible way*out*beyond the*bare,*red-sand seabed.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 6th of January 2012 03:29:22 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #52
Guru

Walt you actually read ALL the posts. Perhaps you should volunteer to help moderate the forum.*

Marin, there are some strong currents in places. Peril Strait near Sitka comes to mind and Ford's Terror down Endicott Arm is a wild water dogleg very narrow passage to the inside of the inlet. Been there at slack and I'm quite sure the max velocity is considerably more than even Naquackto Rapids near the top of Queen Charlotte Strait (east side). Ford's Terror is known as the "Washing Machine". But there are considerably fewer rapids in SEA than in Western Canada.*

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 6th of January 2012 04:44:03 PM
Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Walt you actually read ALL the posts. Perhaps you should volunteer to help moderate the forum.*

Eric
I was thinking he must be kidding.**I don't get on every day and will NEVER be able to catch up.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #54
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

OY-Vey
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Actually, I don't read all the posts. Only the ones I'm interested in or the people that I've come to know through this forum. So many of the posts are about old subjects and how many times can you read "See Spot Run" without throwing up?

For new members, it's great, but redundant as hell for those of us that have been here since 2007. :steaming: :frustrated:
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #56
Guru

Walt,

Sounds like you know what Spot looks like and are an expert at up-chucking. I've been think'in about going back to those old posts where every subject was fascinating new ground but we argued endlessly........and still do about some things. Look at Marin and Art lately. But look at all the new,good and interesting friends we have now. I miss many that are gone though. See you and Spot in the archives Walt.

Eric
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #57

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

Eric,

You mentioned adding a cleat to the center of the*aft cap rail to ease strees on the stern lines.*Makes good sense --*I'm considering the same for Northstar,*I just don't like the idea of messing up that*beautiful teak curve.
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #58
Guru

Richard,

Very true. I've got a 14" galvanized cleat thru the mail but hav'nt put it on yet. I want to use it for anchoring as well as mooring lines. Also want to use it for towing from the centerline of the boat. But you're right it may not look too yachty. I'm wondering how I'm going to tighten the nuts on the bolts too. Did you read that we're moving down to Wash soon?

Eric
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #59

Right now, I actually have 15 dock lines in use on my boat (not just aboard and ready to use - I mean my boat is tied to the dock with 14 different lines).
Bow - 2 port, 2 starbord
Midships - 2 port springs, 2 starboard springs, 1 starboard midship breast line
Aft - 1 port breast line, 1 starboard long spring, 2 starboard breast line, 2 crossed stern lines

I actually broke 1 stern line a few weeks ago (3/4" 3-strand).
This weekend it's been gusting to 40+ kts, and the temp is around 0' F (before wind chill)... uff.

In addition to these lines, I have duplicates for all listed above, as well as about another dozen spare lines of all kinds, as well as 2 spare 150' anchor rodes which I can use to kedge of or in case of a tow.
You can never have too many lines, in my opinion.
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
Right now, I actually have 15 dock lines in use on my boat
** I usually use up to*eight (four per side).* Believe I have only seven set presently.* Haven't yet gone to suspenders in addition to a belt to hold up pants.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote