Old 02-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

City: Athens
How do you handle/prevent seasickness?

Writing an article on this topic and looking for tips/remedies from boaters. Reply with yours. Thanks!

bssmalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
spend a lifetime in occupations that involve rock and roll.....

all others, take them to calm water.

some remedies work for some but not for all, for some, no remedies work at all.

the only one that makes sense to me is a virtual reality viewer that can sync with a persons inner ear sensation.

or doing something that puts the person unconscious.

But the dryer sheet conspiracy types will say chewing on them or sleeping with your head wrapped in them works...or is that to keep mice out of your brains...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Guru

Sitting under a tree is said to be a good remedy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
For almost everybody, seasickness will pass after the third day.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
If you are prone to it, and fortunately I am not, there is a logical reason.

If you are looking at the boat, the instruments, the wheel, the floor etc. it is moving with you, so telling your brain that everything is stable and fixed. However your inner ear fluid, your endolymph, is moving like crazy. So your eyes are telling your brain all is stable, and your ear is saying, holy shiat. all hell is breaking loose, and that confusion creates seasickness. It also happens in cars, trains and planes, where there is a solid chamber moving with you, which is being moved externally.

So when I have people on board who are starting to get seasick I simply tell them to watch the horizon. By doing so their eyes see the boat movement versus the horizon that matches what the ear feels. And after a while the seasickness eases.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I can attest after a career at sea, after the third da, seasickness may just changes intensity....but is not a cure....even if puked and zombied out for 3 days, if conditions are bad, they relapse.

Also staring at the horizon may fix things for a small percentage, but very small and then not forever if conditions are bad.

If there were simple cures that worked for everyone, the USCG and US NAVY, let alone all seafaring groups would have it down to a science, which they dont.

Bruce K has the only good remedy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I ran a charter fishing boat for a while, dealt with seasick passengers almost every day.
I’ve never been seasick, but it does look like a miserable experience, having your face turn green is bad enough without puking all day too!
The clients most likely to become seasick were the ones that showed up with a big bag of McDonald’s junk and nursing a hangover.
The common OTC meds work well, especially if taken at bedtime the night before, then bolstered in the morning with a half dose, and another at noon.
Less drowsiness involved with the half dose.
Dissolving a chewable vitamin C under the tongue at the first sign of nausea works for some.
Benadryl or whatever OTC antihistamine works well for some too.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Two kinds of sailors: Those that have been seasick and those that haven't been seasick yet.

I have one pax who can handle really rough water like a champ - while underway. Put the boat on the hook and 6" ripples will have her calling O'Rourk. Every trip she has a new "cure" - acupressure and magnetic wristbands, lime juice, dramamine, scopalomine, mentholatum, feet in icewater, deep breathing. All with no noticable benefit.

My experience is, as psneeld said, "some remedies work for some but not for all, for some, no remedies work at all." There may be a bit of placebo effect for some folks with these varied preventatives.

My guess is that some people are predisposed to the effects of inner ear, visual, and other sensory conflicts. There may also be a learned coping mechanism aspect - my unscientific observation in the Navy was that new guys were more prone to it than experienced hands.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The older I get, the less susceptible to sea sickness. Last time was nearly 55 years ago, and I prayed for death.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

City: Point Judith, RI
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Dramamine just came out with a"natural" pill that is essentially ginger extract. Em loved it, especially for the less drowsy effects. Gabe prefers meclazine. Both of us only need meds when it gets BAD.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
Here's a short article based on a survey taken during a trans Atlantic race that discusses the various remedies:

What are the best remedies for seasickness?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Three years ago I helped a guy take a boat from Seattle to Stockton, CA. Second day out I got my first ever case of seasickness. I tried another guy's seasickness watch and it didn't help. Then we stopped at a port with a Costco nearby. They had some "Motion Sickness" pills so I got them. Took a double dose before heading to bed that night and a single pill the next a.m.

No more seasickness from that point on.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
The saying we had sailing the northwest coast of Ireland was "there is only one thing worse that thinking you are going to die from sea sickness, and that is you are not going to die!"

Whenever a crew member was being sick over the lee side someone had to hold onto their legs. Not because they might accidentally fall in, but because the urge to just let yourself slide gently into that water rushing by and end the agony was intense.

On one race from Lough Swilly to Melmore my father got really sick and eventually had to throw up. As he was being sick he felt his teeth coming loose. So he put his hand in the stream of sick and caught them. Everyone else in the cockpit immediately became sick!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
ginger is about the best help i have heard of and seen (USN 12 years) out to sea for around 8 of them...
it seems for most a slow gentle roll is worse, in the hard "bashing" stuff everyone seemed to fair a little better over the years, but the slow gentle swells would send most afflicted to the rails (600 foot amphib assault ship)

we had this one poor kid, he would turn green as soon as we pulled anchor, and staid that way till we dropped again.... he didnt last a full cruise

but, back to the point, ginger has a long and trusted ability to ease nausea, ginger ale, ginger gum, pills etc... but i think the fresher and less processed stuff is the best

i spent around 8 years at sea, and never once got even the slightest queasy, even on the "morning after" hangover days...... lol, i hope it stays that way when i get back out there
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: Canaveral
Fear works quite well too.

We spent 4 straight days hand steering through survival conditions. Bad stuff. We should have joined the graveyard of the Pacific. But I warned my two crew what would happen if they got seasick and lost concentration. Day 5 things calmed down nicely and then they started throwing up.

Doesn’t sound very scientific or chemical, but that was my experience.
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #16

City: lake grove long island ny
Vessel Name: Almostheaven
Vessel Model: 1984 3207 aft cabin Carver
I've used Motion eze it worked for me
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Marijuana cookies and a cup of tea May not get rid of the sea sick feeling but you wont feel a thing when you cut your wrists .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #18

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
life long sailer Tristan Jones (died a few years ago) had tried everything all over the world with no success. He said the best thing to do is eat canned peaches. They taste almost as good coming up as they did going down.
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
As our Cheoy Lee 46 has a nice, round bottom, when conditions are right (aft, quartering seas being the worst), we can develop what amounts to a nauseating roll for my wife. She tries the stare at the horizon trick, but that only lasts so long. If the motion persists, she just heads down the aft stairs to the aft cabin and lies on our bed. It's the spot with the least amount of motion on the boat where she can get comfortable. Doesn't make the seasickness go away, but it makes it more bearable.

If we know in advance we'll be dealing with anything like that, Motion Eze has worked for her.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #20

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
I've been plagued by terrible motion sickness since I was a baby. As a youngster I was taught by my dad to take the helm when starting to feel green and, interestingly, have never felt sick on my own boat, even during full storms. Though I have felt like jumping overboard to end it all while aboard other vessels, I've had the best luck with (a) candied ginger, (b) lying down/sleeping, (c) asking to take a stint at the wheel, and (d) giving it a couple of days.

Now, since I'm a nurse, I'm bound to refer you to the literature rather than simply supplying my own anecdotes: A recent overview of the problem in Medscape.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motion sickness, motion sickness remedies, preventing seasickness, seasickness