Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
Still working, a lot. . .not able to take off long swaths of time right now. 35 yrs to go till my expected retirement

South Carolina to Jersey I'd take a week or two off so I could take my time bringing 'er back. Beyond that, might have to hire someone. Or, as suggested, see if anyone here is looking for a paid for trip with free beer

I really am hoping something shows up close to home, as transport fees would come out of the boat budget. Some of the quotes presented here, definitely keeps my fingers crossed! I might have to hire a broker to look for me. . .

Yalls wealth of knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated
Uggggg. suddenly being old and semi-retired isn't so bad. 35 years almost seems like a life sentence.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #22

City: Bohemia
How about having it towed 1/2 way or to a point where you feel confident you have the time and experience to finish the trip yourself? IMO trucking is less expensive then a captain. I had a boat brought up from Fl. to NY. Originally, it was a 6 day trip. So, $200/day (captain), $100/day (crew) plus plain trips for both to Fl and back to their home. We got some bad fuel and 12 hours out, needed a tow back in from 25 miles outside. three days to fix the problem, (hotels, food, etc.) Then back out and the weather came into play. Another delay, 2 days, food, etc. It took 18 days instead of 6 days. It cost me triple what the estimate was. Maybe this was the exception, not the rule (I hope). Just another piece to factor in. A truck is pretty much cut & dry. A captain, or yourself, relies on weather, mechanical issues and such. Have fun!

chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
How about having it towed 1/2 way or to a point where you feel confident you have the time and experience to finish the trip yourself? IMO trucking is less expensive then a captain. I had a boat brought up from Fl. to NY. Originally, it was a 6 day trip. So, $200/day (captain), $100/day (crew) plus plain trips for both to Fl and back to their home. We got some bad fuel and 12 hours out, needed a tow back in from 25 miles outside. three days to fix the problem, (hotels, food, etc.) Then back out and the weather came into play. Another delay, 2 days, food, etc. It took 18 days instead of 6 days. It cost me triple what the estimate was. Maybe this was the exception, not the rule (I hope). Just another piece to factor in. A truck is pretty much cut & dry. A captain, or yourself, relies on weather, mechanical issues and such. Have fun!
I am not criticizing your captain specifically as he may have been excellent. However, what I've seen in general is that you're more likely to have such situations with a $200/day captain than a $300-350. I know captains who do an excellent job of estimating and also have good mechanical skills and know the route well enough to know the safer places to buy fuel. They also quote a range to allow for weather, but generally on that route all weather is going to do is push them inside instead of outside. There are captains who don't end up completing the trip and those who cause damage. But there are also captains I'd trust completely to make such a delivery.

Now, as to which is cheaper, very much depends on the boat. Maybe if Mr. Beans, the cool one, would give us a size and model to work with, we could better compare.

Also, the question of which is more wear and tear. Being exposed on the road or putting those hours on the equipment. I'd say removing and replacing a flybridge can add wear if not done expertly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I hauled my 50 foot trawler, 16 foot beam, 17 feet tall, from Galveston Bay to Oklahoma for about $500. Fuel was fairly cheap then. It will go back to the Gulf by water from here.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
$5.00 per mile will put you in the ball park.

David
I've heard that from time to time, but in my experience any per mile cost or quote is only a fraction of the transport cost. Our last boat for example, 1,500 highway miles, but the total was more like $13000. Beam, length, height, pilot cars, permit costs depending on the states crossed, prep, dismantling, reassembly, cost of the zebra mussel certification, million things.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:04 AM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I bought a 46' trawler back in 2002 that was in Everet, WA and ran it down to LA that summer. We took about 2 1/2 weeks spread out over a month. We got weathered in in Eureka due to 60 knot winds and 25' seas forcast. It was a very interesting trip from dead calm to we are going to die (off the Columbia River). We did encounter 14' seas off the coast of Washington. That was due to trying to meet a schedule, never a good idea.

Would I do it again, yes since we now live in Michigan and just bougt a 41' President in Virginia. We will be running it home in the spring. We plan on taking 6 weeks to do it, but we are retired so that makes it easier.

As to trucking a large boat, it can be easier in some respects, but there are many stories of boats being damaged. Check out the trucking company very carefully. A friend of mine had his 38' Californian trucked from San Diego to Houston. He had multiple major problems with the boat and never got the trucking company to stand behind it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #27
FF
Guru

If the sale is friendly , you might ask the PO to go with you for the first few days.

50-60 miles a day for a few days should be no big deal for the PO to get home.

The amount you will learn by watching and listening would pay for a taxi for him.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #28
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Beyond that, might have to hire someone. Or, as suggested, see if anyone here is looking for a paid for trip with free beer

Now you're talkin'!

-Chris
Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
I might have to hire a broker to look for me. . .
Do that....I did and found the exact boat I was looking for 50 miles from home.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #30

City: Norfolk, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Uggggg. suddenly being old and semi-retired isn't so bad. 35 years almost seems like a life sentence.
Lol, and I just got out of a meeting with my 401k advisor. . .it's weird to have to plan ahead for an event that won't happen for a period of time that's longer than I've existed

It's also interesting boat shopping as well. Seems a youngish guy looking to live aboard isn't the most encountered used trawler buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB
Now, as to which is cheaper, very much depends on the boat. Maybe if Mr. Beans, the cool one, would give us a size and model to work with, we could better compare.
Ok, well. . .the two boats that prompted this inquiry is a 43' Gulfstar MKII in Florida and a Mainship 40 Pilot house in New Hampshire. In general, my searches have drifted into the 40-44 foot range and 12-15 foot beams. . .25k lb+ displacements and fly bridges.

Chester, I hadn't thought about having someone meet me half way. Have someone bring it to South Carolina and I could bring it back the rest of the way. . .not bad.

Many thanks all for the insight!

Slightly off topic, but how would I get in touch with a buyers broker?
cool beans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #31
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
A broker is a broker, they can work either end of the deal. Challenge is finding someone you can trust their opinion, who truly will be concerned you end up in the right-for-you boat with eyes wide open, not just help you buy whatever you can afford that looked nice. We used a broker who we're very comfortable with, and he definetly was unbiased in all the boats we looked at he gave us clearly the good/bad from each of them. I PMd you his contact info.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #32
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
South Carolina to Jersey can be done in 7-8 days. Less if you run nights. One week off with two weekends each end. Unless something breaks. But, that's always the "if".
Good idea. Certainly the most cost effective also.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #33
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Slightly off topic, but how would I get in touch with a buyers broker?

One of our owners club members is also a broker, in Deltaville. Seems a pretty straight-up guy, and he's worked with several of our owners as they've moved upward. PM me if you want his contact info.

-Chris
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cb. I can also recommend a buyer's broker...PM please.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #35
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
+1 for delivering it yourself. I looked locally and then ended up buying my boat in Alaska. I had another experienced sailor to help me. I did a three day shakedown cruise, had some work done and then brought her to San Francisco. I took off three weeks in total and it was the best three week "vacation" I have ever taken. I got to share the experience with my daughters too.

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote