Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
In 2009/10 we took the boat from Baltimore to the Keys & back; our longest trip to date. Best 4.5 months I've ever spent. In the interim, we've been cruising the Chesapeake, repairing the boat, modifying the boat, & trying to rebuild the cruising kitty for this year's trip to the FL west coast. Most of the time I enjoy doing the required work myself; but..there are those days!

chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
In 2009/10 we took the boat from Baltimore to the Keys & back; our longest trip to date. Best 4.5 months I've ever spent. In the interim, we've been cruising the Chesapeake, repairing the boat, modifying the boat, & trying to rebuild the cruising kitty for this year's trip to the FL west coast. Most of the time I enjoy doing the required work myself; but..there are those days!
That sounds like a really great cruise. That and going home to the Chesapeake! WOW! It doesn't get much better than that. It's probably not for this thread, but maybe under Voyagers on the Go, however, it would be nice to hear an account of your long cruise. Especailly talking about your favorite places along the east coast. Thanks for posting.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
chc

We boat on the Chesapeake as much as we can. Altho' we are retired, we still work in order to build up the cruising kitty, so time varies. In 2009/10 we took the boat to the Keys & back; a wonderful 4.5 month trip that we plan to repeat this Fall/Winter. the plan is to go across FL & up the West coast, rather than down to the Keys. We prefer anchoring out when we can; cuts expenses, & we enjoy the peace & quiet. Where I can, I do my own repair/modification work. This time of year we'll cruise the Bay on weekends, or take a week's trip to either a favorite spot, or one of the many creeks or coves we missed along the way.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
chc

Oops; sorry for the duplicate posting, didn't look like it posted.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #25

How we do our boating

We have a 45 foot trawler that is docked 10 minutes from our house. We also have a house with 4 children (blended famjam.). So that boat is our cottage most of the week, we go to the beach on weekends and jump off the Bridge, and we go to Toronto, Coburg and Kingston yearly. Just did the Trent Severn top to bottom bringing Kingfisher home.

I do most of my repairs, oil changes, wood refinishing, electrical trouble shooting, etc. Pretty handy for a history major!!

Michael
MichaelHHowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Brilliant thread.

We have two pretty distinct ways of boating.

We were pretty active racers out of Privateer Yacht Club in Chattanooga. In recent years, the club has developed a large fleet of Catalina 22s with ratings we can't touch with our Cal 28. So, most of our sailing has been weekend or overnight trips up or down the river. I've recently taken a job in Pennsylvania and, while we'll keep our place in TN, I'll have even less time for sailing. So, Stella Maris is up for sale. In a few years, when I retire for good, it will be with a trawler for crusing, a day sailer for sailing and . . . .

We also love saltwater fishing, We haul this down to Charleston and Savannah and generally catch a good time. Thinking about finding a place to keep it near the Chesapeake while I'm living part time up that way.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
Angelina was bought for a specific trip that we took back in y2k. After that she was too much a part of the family to let go. So she remains on the upper Delaware river doing swim raft duty until her family retires. Then we are going to do the little loop again and again until we get dizzy.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99;92176

[IMG
http://www.trawlerforum.com/attachments/photobucket/img_92229_0_7da3e840aa5b075743acc13c32a07601.jpg[/IMG]
My pucker factor would go off the charts if my boat heeled like this!!

Sailboaters are nuts!!!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Nothing like heeling over and feeling the power in the sails.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #30

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Jeffnik,
About overnighting at Wal Mart or other large stores.
W M has NO issue with your overnight parking for a nt or two. But the cities, well actually the CAMP GROUND owners prevail upon the city. town or whatever to make it unlawful to park free!
Since we have made the transition we have acquainted ourselves with this issue. Have used a parking lot only one time in over two yrs of extensive travel, using the travel trailer about like the boat 5 to 7 months on the road jsut as we did on the boat.
Seldome visiting the same place twice, except in home waters, roads!

Never considered having a yd to do work on boat, first no "yards" where we live and second I did all maintenance on the boat anyway.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #31

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Well so far this year we have not used the boat. Here it is another rainy day, the last day of June and the boat sits on its trailer under a roof where its been since last October. It looks like mid July before she gets in the water.

We trailer Budds Outlet about 8 miles to the launch ramp and typically go out for three day weekends. We also get in the annual week+ cruise either in Puget Sound or up into the San Juans and Canadian Gulf islands.

We are looking forward to my retirement in a couple more years, a new to us trawler/cruiser in the 40 foot range and extended Pacific Northwest cruising rain or shine. I sure wish there was an inexpensive way to move a 40 footer from the PNW to the warmer southern waters in the winter and back north in the spring.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
My pucker factor would go off the charts if my boat heeled like this!!

Sailboaters are nuts!!!
You would dedinitely not like riding with my spouse at the helm. She's not shy about burying the rail (see avatar) while clawing her way to weather. 3,000 lbs. of ballast hanging 5 and a half feet below the hull means it can take a lot of wind and, if over-powered, will pop right up if you dump the main.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have two boats and use them very differently. The 17' Arima we use for fishing and exploring, mostly at the north end of Vancouver Island (see Up Island threads in West Coast boating section for shots of what we do with the trailer boat).

The GB we've had for 14 years now and it has four functions. One is as a "getaway cabin" that we use almost every weekend of the year, my travel schedule permitting. We go up to the boat which is about 100 miles north of where we live and stay on it for the weekend, visiting friends or mucking about the Bellingham area. Or working on the boat (see Use #4).

The second use is as a mostly weekend cruiser on a year-round basis, weather and schedule permitting, for runs into the islands. I have a ways to go before I can start thinking about retiring from my current job (although I intend to keep working in some capacity after that), so we are limited right now to one longer trip per year, usually in September for a couple, three weeks when we go up into BC. But while the boat doesn't cover a lot of distance in a given year compared to many people with the time to cruise extensively, it is used weekly. Other than when I'm gone on business it is not sitting unused.

The third use is as a place for me to write. My day job is producing and directing marketing and operational videos for Boeing and our customers. But my other career is writing books. The GB makes a nice place to get out of town and write, particularly during the winter when it's stormy up in Bellingham. My current writing project is set on a boat up the BC coast during the winter so the atmosphere of sitting on one under the same conditions proves inspiring at times.

The fourth use of the GB is as a big floating hobby. I like working with wood, particularly refinishing good wood of which there is a rainforest's worth on our '73 boat. And there are all the other systems challenges that come with a boat that make life interesting. One reason we wanted an older boat was for just this purpose. We wanted something we could use from the outset and that was reliable and in good condition. But we also wanted something to learn different skills on, from plumbing to taking care of a 39 year old teak deck to canvas work to whatever comes up next.

Someday we'd like to take half a year and run up to SE Alaska, something we have done many, many times in the Beaver. But we're looking forward to the day--- if it ever comes--- that we can cover the same ground at a much slower and exploratory pace.

PS--- For a few years after moving here I crewed on a friend's racing sloop. My "job" was trimming the main and the spinnaker. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing as exhilarating as having everything pulling for you with the lee rail underwater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluenose 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	11817  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #34

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Gotta love those Arimas. Mine was a 1511.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Gotta love those Arimas. Mine was a 1511.
That is a really cool little boat.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #36

City: New Bern, N.C.
We are on the hard as we renovate / repair our 1973 Gulfstar. We live 3 hours away, and try to spend a week on the boat once or twice a month to work on it. We're tied in to shore power, so we have lights, A/C, microwave and fridge. The marina has heads and showers near by, but we also have a porta-pot for late night pee calls. We do breakfast and lunch aboard, then clean up and eat out for dinner. We come back to socialize with the marina people, and watch the sunset. A little reading or a snack, then its lights out. As with camping, we find ourselves in tune with the sun, up at 0600, in bed by 2200. We do our outside work for the day till noon, then work inside. We're under cover, but its a steel roof that radiates the heat. Its is really nice to have the boat set up with linens, food, clothes, and tools. We don't have to bring very much with us, and came move right in and get to work. We hope to be in the water by this time next year.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
We are on the hard as we renovate / repair our 1973 Gulfstar. We live 3 hours away, and try to spend a week on the boat once or twice a month to work on it. We're tied in to shore power, so we have lights, A/C, microwave and fridge. The marina has heads and showers near by, but we also have a porta-pot for late night pee calls. We do breakfast and lunch aboard, then clean up and eat out for dinner. We come back to socialize with the marina people, and watch the sunset. A little reading or a snack, then its lights out. As with camping, we find ourselves in tune with the sun, up at 0600, in bed by 2200. We do our outside work for the day till noon, then work inside. We're under cover, but its a steel roof that radiates the heat. Its is really nice to have the boat set up with linens, food, clothes, and tools. We don't have to bring very much with us, and came move right in and get to work. We hope to be in the water by this time next year.
That's a nice boat.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #38

City: Vashon Island
Vessel Name: Sea Gull
Vessel Model: Californian 38 LRC
We bought our Calif 38 about a month ago and so far our only cruise has been moving her from Anacortes to Vashon (a long day!). We've been doing the much needed cleaning and small repairs. We're reitred so our plan is to spend weekdays out exploring Puget Sound this year and learning our boat. Next year the we'd like to take about 4-6 months cruising to SE Alaska.
Sea Gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We do our boating much as you do. We took a sabbatical for two months and went down to Florida on the ICW and had a great time. We left our boat in GA for a cheap rate and then picked it up in March to take her home.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #40

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Boating without water.
One More Time Around: James Island - Charleston SC

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote