Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Good machine.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

City: Lake Charles, LA
I can't speak for the 8 KW, but have installed a 21 KW, 12.5 KW and a 7 KW, and so far they have been fantastic. No issues whatsoever. All units have had the soundshield and have been super quiet. I would highly recommend these units. If my Kohler ever dies, it will be replaced with a Phazer.
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Well, I have a NextGen 3.5 KW unit which is built just like the Phasor 3.5 unit. But the 8KW Phasor is an 1,800 rpm direct drive unit driven by a three cylinder Kubota engine, all of which is good.

The controls are simple with no circuit board which probably means it is capacitor excited and regulated. Not the best probably, but simple to fix.

I assume that the price is what motivates you to consider one. Otherwise I would go for the proven, rock solid Northern Lights.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I once was looking for a smaller"second tier" generator to act as a "night generator" back up to our 20kw. The Hatt was wired for one as it was a common option. This was about 7 years ago, and I never did buy one. After a fair amount of research, consulting actual owners, talking to the companies at boat shows, mechanics who work on generators, it came down to either Phasor or Norpro. Never met an unhappy owner of either, though few used theirs as much as we would have.

They were available with good front ends and good engines. Both had OK service presence on the east coast (as they are east coast companies), a factor which may ultimately have led me to go with another Onan if I had pursued it further, Onan having a larger service network.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I just bought one after a TON of deliberation. Went to the dealers shop and saw several with 19,000 hours on them. Apparently all came off the same fishing charter boat. Stainless pump, 2000 hour warranty, installed mine without a sound shield and no louder than the Westerbeke it replaced which had a sound shield. Very impressed (so far).
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Is there anyone that sells recon. Phasors
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Guru

You might give Southeastern Power in Pompano a call. Also Gold Coast power in Ft Lauderdale has a bunch of used gensets of all makes, typically fixer uppers or part-outs.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I assume that the price is what motivates you to consider one. Otherwise I would go for the proven, rock solid Northern Lights.
No, it's in a boat that just came on the market here and I had never heard of it. Need to find out more about West Coast service.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
My boat has a 6.5kW Phasor genset installed by the PO. It appears to be similar to the 8.0Kw unit in the OP. Not enough hours on it yet to form an opinion about longevity, but here are my observations after a few years of ownership – YMMV.

This is a pretty little generator with white paint and blue hoses. The motor is a three cylinder 1,800 rpm Kubota diesel; quieter than some, but still noisy without a sound shield. The main service items are on the same side as the (accessible) Oberdorfer raw-water pump. There is an oil drain valve with hose-barb on the bottom of the oil pan which makes oil changes easier. There is no coolant-level bottle, but one can be fitted.

I am not sure about the statement that there is no circuit-board. There is something that looks like one bolted to the inside face of the control box cover. It is encased in a block of translucent plastic and looks like a high $$$ item to me.

It is reasonably well thought out, but the execution in several areas is poor: A Facet lift pump that relies (unsuccessfully) on painted-metal to painted-metal contact for its ground. Hoses in contact with sharp corners of other components. Electrical wiring poorly secured, especially the birds-nest in the control box. A belt that runs within a hair of a coolant hose. The same belt wearing through its plastic safety cover. Masking tape partially blocking a port in the thermostat housing. I remedied these and other problems with time and without too much trouble. Left alone they were problems waiting to happen. Murphy is never far away.

This unit may have a Kubota engine, but the cooling, exhaust, fuel and much of the 12-volt systems are Phasor. The absence of a service manual, parts and circuit diagrams is a major drawback. IMHO anything more than minor servicing is fraught with peril without them. I have the operator’s manual which covers routine servicing and includes a generic “one size fits all” circuit diagram. Southeastern Power Products (see below) tell me that that is all there is - no workshop manual, parts or wiring diagram. Not that I can’t have them - they do not exist! The only thing they could offer was the page below which lists every spare part they can supply. Note that the circuit-board thing in my third paragraph is not on the list.

Immediately after purchase of my boat, I decided to buy a full set of spares for my little white generator. I expected to visit the manufacturer’s website where I could either buy spares or be redirected to the appropriate retail outlets. NOT - the Phasor website is basically a list of generators and a couple of links to Southeastern Power Products of Pompano Beach Fl. Maybe Southeastern manufacture Phasor gensets – its hard to tell. Their website, like Phasor’s, is a list of the generators that they sell and two phone numbers. Probably just my paranoia, but it struck me as odd.

Phasor may well make excellent generators; they are certainly less expensive than Northern Lights. I hope the above adds a little perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Phasor parts list.jpg  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
Guru

Great post. Yes Southeastern Power and Phasor are the same; at least they were 7 years ago. When I was looking, they did offer a cruising spares kit. No longer?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
Immediately after purchase of my boat, I decided to buy a full set of spares for my little white generator. I expected to visit the manufacturer’s website where I could either buy spares or be redirected to the appropriate retail outlets. NOT - the Phasor website is basically a list of generators and a couple of links to Southeastern Power Products of Pompano Beach Fl. Maybe Southeastern manufacture Phasor gensets – its hard to tell. Their website, like Phasor’s, is a list of the generators that they sell and two phone numbers. Probably just my paranoia, but it struck me as odd.I hope the above adds a little perspective.
Certainly does, thanks.
When I came across it I also went to the internet hoping to find something and all I came up with was the same website as you. Very little info and certainly no dealer list. So, I emailed them asking about dealers and parts availability on the west coast. Got no response.
The good news is, it becomes a 10 grand bargaining tool right off the bat.
Also, I'm now guessing the boat, a GB, was brought here from the east coast.

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #13

City: Freeport Tx
Have one in a charter boat I run 2 yrs no problems 700 hrs only oil changes and filters
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure pleasure View Post
Have one in a charter boat I run 2 yrs no problems 700 hrs only oil changes and filters
It might well be a decent piece of equipment but if they won't even answer their mail or show dealers on the website, I cant think of it as much more than an anchor.

Is there a dealer in TX?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #15

City: Freeport Tx
Land and sea put ours in no problems good guys to work with
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Yep, Land and Sea did ours as well. Great guys and they answer their phones even when they are out boating. Being Cummings dealers as well makes it a one stop shop (for me).
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote