Old 09-12-2015, 04:12 AM   #41

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
AC power on
Charger on
Fridge on if there is food in it, if no trip coming up, turn it off and clean it out.
Four bilge pumps in auto, two per batt bank.
Sea cocks open
Aircons off
Everything else off.

Ditto. Fridge set for AC only and we don't leave anything perishable in it - just drinks.

danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #42

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Kwmeyer13, not sure where I got it, it was either on this forum or the DeFever group, but someone much smarter than me built a checklist of how to check the A/C electrical system on a boat, it's a great excel document that walks you step by step though and helps identify and diagnose any issues, all you need is a decent muliti meter(it has to have the clamp on the end to check amps) it is very well written such that someone with limited electrical knowledge can follow the steps.... The sad part it I can't find it on this computer I must have stored it on my work machine, I will look for it on Monday, PM me with your email address if you would like me to send it to you.

Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #43
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonewo View Post
Ken, I was not real clear, the one CB on the DC power panel powers four separate Rule panels, see picture. Each panel has it's own fuse, so if one bilge pump blows a fuse the other three still have power.
The builder wired 4 pumps off of 1 breaker!?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #44
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I don't understand why folks close the sea cocks. In my 20yrs in the marine business, I have never seen a boat flooded from a seacock failing while docked. I have seen sea strainers bust from freezing, but freeze protection is a different topic. Engine hoses blow under way, again another topic.

If a sea cock or hose fails at dock, it has to be a rotted mess. Hoses don't just fail sitting there with no flow, again unless rotted. If those things are inspected and kept in good shape as they should be, they are safe and reliable.

I have repaired many engines that were started with sea cocks closed, that is real. You guys with keys on handles and tagouts have that covered, though.

I like being able to hop in the boat, throw off the lines and shore cord and being under way in three minutes. I don't bother checking oil or coolant. That stuff is well maintained and is as reliable as my car. I don't check oil before starting the car up, as I'm sure most of you don't.

I will give the boat machinery.. and car.. a good go-through before a long trip, and also maybe once a month.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #45
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
I like being able to hop in the boat, throw off the lines and shore cord and being under way in three minutes. I don't bother checking oil or coolant. That stuff is well maintained and is as reliable as my car. I don't check oil before starting the car up, as I'm sure most of you don't.

I will give the boat machinery.. and car.. a good go-through before a long trip, and also maybe once a month.
I'm the same way. I Check everything about once a week, or before a long trip. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to feel negligent by not doing a full 100 point inspection before firing the old gals up.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #46
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I don't understand why folks close the sea cocks. In my 20yrs in the marine business, I have never seen a boat flooded from a seacock failing while docked. I have seen sea strainers bust from freezing, but freeze protection is a different topic. Engine hoses blow under way, again another topic.

If a sea cock or hose fails at dock, it has to be a rotted mess. Hoses don't just fail sitting there with no flow, again unless rotted. If those things are inspected and kept in good shape as they should be, they are safe and reliable.

I have repaired many engines that were started with sea cocks closed, that is real. You guys with keys on handles and tagouts have that covered, though.

+1
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #47

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I discount the power, close the seacock, and make sure the bilge pumps are turned off whenever I leave the boat.

Attachment 44307

I also make sure to close the door and turn the lights off.

Ted

That is awesome! How do you get it in and out of the water?
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #48

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The builder wired 4 pumps off of 1 breaker!?
Yes, one breaker that is rated for enough amps to supply all four pumps, think of it this way, one breaker supplies power to a second power panel, the second power panel has fuses properly sized for each individual pump.

It's similar to having a single inline 150 amp ANL fuse suppling power to a power panel and that panel having one breaker for each pump.... unless you have a dedicated battery bank for each pump at some point in the circuit there will be a single wire supplying power to multiple things.
Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I installed a Boatnanny security alarm the send a text status every day and if an alarm goes off. It monitors two bilge floats, temperature in the bilge and salon, sound, motion, AC electricity, and I can call for a status report or listen. So if a bilge, smoke, fire, CO, propane alarm goes off the sound sends a message. So thousands of miles away, I can monitor the boat.
I'm a bit surprised you're the only one to mention alarms. They're really rather simple in today's world. While they're no guarantee, they sure make me a lot more comfortable. We also have cameras we can access to check on things in general.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote