Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Norfolk, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 194
how do I play the yacht-broker game?

When I was shopping for my sailboat, I had money in my pocket and was ready to buy when I found the right boat. Buying my trawler will be different. I have done a lot of searching/research in yachtworld, and I would be interested in looking at some boats next year. But, my sailboat will not go on the market until fall 2014, and I can't get serious about the buying the trawler until I sell the sailboat. So, two questions.

#1: will brokers be reluctant/resentful to show me boats when they learn I am not currently a serious buyer?

#2: since I can read yachtworld and ask questions on this forum and tour boats for sale all on my own, does it make any sense to locate a broker to work with me relatively early in the boat-buying process?
__________________
Advertisement

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,879
So between now and probably the spring of 2015 when your sailboat sells, you are a tire kicker, looky lou, or whatever you want to call it. I am not trying to be disrespectful, but recognize that no broker is going to want to indulge you in looking for more than a year.

Look on Yachtworld, ask questions on forums and if you just have to see a boat to help with your thinking, then call the listing broker and ask for a showing. You don't have to tell him much about your buying plans. The fact that you are willing to come to his brokerage or meet him at the boat to see it is enough.

But don't abuse it. Occasionally is ok and it will give you a chance to meet brokers for when you really are in a position to buy.

But unless he is really patient, working with a so called buyers broker now would be unproductive.

David
__________________

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Vyndance's Avatar
 
City: Ventura, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Door # 2. They won't know you are not serious unless you tell them
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post

#1: will brokers be reluctant/resentful to show me boats when they learn I am not currently a serious buyer?

#2: since I can read yachtworld and ask questions on this forum and tour boats for sale all on my own, does it make any sense to locate a broker to work with me relatively early in the boat-buying process?
#1 Yes
#2 No

The best way to successfully get this accomplished is to use your "selling time" time to
  • walk the docks,
  • go to boat shows,
  • look at a few boats beyond your price range to see why they are vs the budget you have set for yourself,
  • don't believe any ads,
  • assess your repair skills vs the fixer uppers you find,
  • and last but not least - cheap up front does not mean low cost in the next year or two.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
...Look on Yachtworld, ask questions on forums and if you just have to see a boat to help with your thinking, then call the listing broker and ask for a showing. You don't have to tell him much about your buying plans. The fact that you are willing to come to his brokerage or meet him at the boat to see it is enough.
That's my thought as well. Last I looked, the public wasn't beating down the brokers doors.

Quote:
But don't abuse it. Occasionally is ok and it will give you a chance to meet brokers for when you really are in a position to buy.
Again, I would agree. To me, it's like buying a car or a house. I'm going to want to look and test (as much as you can anyway), before I purchase.

If I were a broker and unless I was over run with customers, I'd be thrilled that people were actually calling/coming by. It tells me that I'm still active in the market and people are reading my ads, etc.

But just like a real estate agent or car salesman, I'm personally not going to waste their time repeatedly, unless I know I'm going to be in the market relatively soon.

Instead, hit the boat shows and the marina's. I'm finding that many of the owners are more than happy to chat with you and/or show you around their vessels.

Quote:
But unless he is really patient, working with a so called buyers broker now would be unproductive.
Again, David has the right idea.
If you need to see something specific that you just can't work out on line, at the shows or a marina somewhere, then contact the broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance View Post
Door # 2. They won't know you are not serious unless you tell them
This is true as well, but sometimes, if you're upfront with them and don't abuse their graciousness, I've found that sales people are more than happy to help you with your decisions. Their hope of course, is when you're ready to lay down the $$$$, you'll recall their courtesy.

I bought my last (and I do mean LAST) new car that way. Had several high pressure sales people make decent offers, but I went with the one that took some time with me and didn't pressure me

Good luck with your shopping.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Trawler buyers can be notoriously slow to make a buying decision. Many are buying their last boat after owning several. They don't want to make a mistake, and study the market carefully. Brokers that cater to this market know this, and if you are respectful of their time will work with you until the situation is right for you. If they won't do this, don't deal with that broker. There are some that understand the market. Find one. Be honest, and you may build a profitable relationship for both.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Trawler buyers can be notoriously slow to make a buying decision. Many are buying their last boat after owning several. They don't want to make a mistake, and study the market carefully. Brokers that cater to this market know this, and if you are respectful of their time will work with you until the situation is right for you. If they won't do this, don't deal with that broker. There are some that understand the market. Find one. Be honest, and you may build a profitable relationship for both.


You took the words right out of my mouth! Great job!

Happy cruising to all.

H. Foster
__________________

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012