Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
How to define trawlers in listings?

I have been reviewing YW and other sites for my dream boat and I have been wondering when did all boats become "trawlers"? Seriously, it seems that every (what I used to think of as) motor yacht, sedan, convertibles and even quite a few tugs are now being listed as trawlers. Did I miss the memo on this?

Above the waterline We all know what a tug is supposed to look like. I personally think of a trawler as more closely looking like something modeled after a fishing vessel. (Shrimper or gill netter?). But when one try's to use "trawler" as a search parameter, it's amazing what listings show up. It sure is adding to an already complicated process of weeding out the boats not meeting some level of minimum requirements....

Any input would be appreciated.

Gary

texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Gotta admit it is frustrating when you look for a trawler and either a sail boat or express cruiser comes up. Ultimately it's the listing broker inputting the keywords that causes this.

Boycotting any broker that can not understand what a keyword is to be used for is a nice thought but hardly practical. As a moderator on this forum I have moved probably 2,000+ threads posted in the wrong location so maybe it is more than just a broker problem?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gary, let it go. You'll eventually find what you seek. ... I found my "trawler." You will probably be successful too.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gary,
We can't even agree on this board what a trawler is. You can't really blame just the brokers (me). Case in point my boat, trawler to most but long "range motor yacht" or "long range motor cruiser", I forget which, to Mr DeFever. I can assure it's probably nothing nefarious on their part as they are excluding those misnamed boats from people searching them by their more accurate description. Most likely its laziness or outright confusion.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It is really simple. If the boat has much more than 100 or so horsepower (capable of exceeding "hull speed"), it's not a trawler. ... Most participants here have fast sedan cruisers. But that doesn't mean we can't be friends.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Today most boats are very similar from the hull down.

A slow displacement boat can have a tug or trawler or motor yacht deck house stuck on.

The displacement crowd easily switches between deck house styles , so the broker is fine grouping boats with similar operating characteristics together.

The oxymoron >fast trawler< is simply a continuation of grouping similar boats together , this time big engines and semi displacement hull married to the trawler or tug style pilot house shape.

Many trawler folks eventually find out that a motor yacht configuration is a better fit for their desirements than the traditional trawler look.

Just ask the happy Bayliner folks.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

Folks this post was not meant to disparage any brokerage. Just seeking some clarification. So apologies offered if that occurred.

If I were to use autos as the example in a web search there would be the assumption that everyone visualizes the same thing if one says "truck" or "sedan" or "convertible", etc. Speed and engine size didn't affect what you visualized, the overall shape was still probably agreed upon.

Not a big deal, just wondered if there was something missed in trying to filter to the appropriate type. Trawler in and of itself is not definitive enough apparently with how many variations and opinions exist.

Another lesson learned.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: Tampa
I agree that it's probably just "keyword" parameters that the brokers use, to attract your search engines. You want to get as much traffic to your site/listing as possible. As mentioned above, it's I doubt it's anything nefarious. After all, the buyer is eventually going to see the boat

I've found the same thing doing my searches. I enter "trawlers" and get everything from a fishing boats to million dollar yachts. Never know what's going to trip someone's trigger when they see it, so why not have them visit your listing, right?

It's actually helped in my searches.
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
FF
Guru

the overall shape was still probably agreed upon.

Yet the SUV is called a truck , to satisfy the air police.

Station wagons were banned by CAFE , even tho most get better gas mileage and ride better than a SUV.

On boats SPEED is the biggest fuel cost factor , space factor , ride factor , so folks will select what the think they want.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
My biggest irritation in my searches on YW is trying to exlude houseboats from the trawler search results. I can see some legitimate debate on what constitutes a trawler between some models, but if the "vessel" is a big rectangular box, that's not a trawler by anybody's definition. I wish YW and other listings had an option to exclude keywords.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I agree that the ability to exclude undesired keywords would be nice. But don't count on it happening soon on Yachtworld. The brokers pay for it, so they get what they want.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
In your search, zero in on a manufacture name instead of the word "trawler". We never refer to our boat as a trawler....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
My own opinion is that a true "trawler" should have a pure full displacement hull, regardless of the deck furnishings or decor. Horsepower or number of engines is not a factor, lots of working trawl boats have big engines and multiple engines. What a "trawler" does not do is plane, in any form, now matter how much fuel you burn. The word "semi" used in the hull description precludes a hull from being pure full displacement and by default is not a trawler hull, no matter how slow I drive it or how much I want to be in the club. I own boats on both ends of the spectrum, and am in no way an expert, just my opinion. This, and some money, will get you a cup of coffey.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
There's no college or anything for Yacht Brokers. If one is lucky they trained under a experienced Broker who taught them about boats, but if one is unlucky then it's just them parroting what uneducated non-boaters in the boat sales business told them, without them even understanding (don't even know the language)what it is they heard, and passed along. It would be great if all started in boatyards (I was broken in by OJ Young, who was like that Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket) working on boats, but the majority (especially in these later years) came into the business after not succeeding in other professions, and don't know shit from shinola (especially ethics) and are only chasing $$$'s.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For those that are coming up with undesireable boats on yachworld, put in a few traits that houseboats and many motor yachts don't/mostly don't have and it may work a lot better....

also it looking for some very specific trawlers...target those with very limited spec searches....works for me...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
My own opinion is that a true "trawler" should have a pure full displacement hull, regardless of the deck furnishings or decor. Horsepower or number of engines is not a factor....
This is what I've believed heretofore. ;-)
Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
FF
Guru

target those with very limited spec searches....works for me...

Great for your 5th purchase , but hardly useful for the wannabee that is just starting to get an education.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Scary to think someone is getting an education from Yachtworld.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We'll if you think trawlers only have full displacement hulls look on trawler forum and see that 95% of the boats represented are not full displacement. There is the odd trawler that is full displacement though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We'll if you think trawlers only have full displacement hulls look on trawler forum and see that 95% of the boats represented are not full displacement. There is the odd trawler that is full displacement though.
Eric

Hello from one "odd" guy to another. But then my Willard 30 burned 3/4 gallon per hour.

Marty

Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote