Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #81
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger View Post
...My wife loves this boat, but I grit my teeth every time somebody calls it "cute"...
That's why tug-ish designs are so popular; women find them cute and men recognize their hairy chested work boat heritage...a marketing sweet spot if there ever was one.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #82
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
That's why tug-ish designs are so popular; women find them cute and men recognize their hairy chested work boat heritage...a marketing sweet spot if there ever was one.
Very true and very effective indeed.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #83
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Very true and very effective indeed.
My wife loves the look/cuteness of tugs. I think they are OK, but basically could care less. However, neither of us would want to own one on a bet!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #84
Guru

City: Seattle
I earned my tow endorsement with small tow works a long time ago. There's something grand about pushing around a boat that is so strong at the caprail and so well-fendered that you're not worried about bouncing any part of it off of concrete walls or obstacles. The stress level when docking or tying up alongside is really low.

Wouldn't want to have to maintain one anymore though and certainly converting one to a private vessel is really un-attractive. Tugs do not make good conversions at all.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #85
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
You want to end buying with the "TwoFootitis mentality. For two adults one child and maybe a guest here is a nice size boat with a little wiggle room. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462012800.407156.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	51276
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:19 AM   #86
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
I'm not sure that has enough room for us
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #87
Art
Guru

Smart boat buyers/users/expectation[ers] do not own/have boats "too big" or "too small". They have boats just the "right size" for their time of life at hand and their foreseeable future boat uses.

I've seen people purchase bigger than actually needed boat for their time of life at hand with expectations of their fantasy for cruising the high seas in the future become dashed for one reason or another. Then they are burdened with a "too big" boat and usually get less use than if they had one "just right" sized... as well as overhead and eventual need to sell - often at steep loss. I've also seen people purchase boats that are smaller than their time of life requirements and soon to arrive boating need expansions. Those "too small" boats can become a burden for several reasons and similar to the "too big" boats mentioned above get less use than if a "just right" size boat had been chosen in the first place.

All in all: Finding, choosing, owning, maintaining and using a "just right" size boat is similar to threading a needle. In that... You sure don't want to spend the time of putting thread through the needle hole and then begin sewing for a period of time (maybe even to completion) just to eventually realize that the thread is incorrect size/strength to uphold the requirements of garment/material use-needs. Then if you want to keep using the garment/material you must remove all thread and start over. Similarity is that if you find boat chosen is incorrect size - to get the correct size one, in order to continue boating - you need to remove the boat and basically start over again.

Boat size/shape/layout/type should be thought over deeply and then chosen wisely - for a myriad of reasons!

Happy Boat-Size-Choice Daze! - Art
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #88
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
I'm not sure that has enough room for us
then you must have 40' it is.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #89
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Smart boat buyers/users/expectation[ers] do not own/have boats "too big" or "too small". They have boats just the "right size" for their time of life at hand and their foreseeable future boat uses.
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT! THE REAL PROBLEM, HOWEVER, IS BEING BRUTALLY HONEST WITH ONE'S SELF AS TO THE REAL (HONEST) ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT! THE REAL PROBLEM, HOWEVER, IS BEING BRUTALLY HONEST WITH ONE'S SELF AS TO THE REAL (HONEST) ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.
Art and Walt are exactly right. I think another factor is the person/couple's level of experience. Until you actually have used and owned a boat in the waters that you will be cruising, you really don't know the answers to those questions. You might think you know, but experience is the best teacher.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #91
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Art and Walt are exactly right. I think another factor is the person/couple's level of experience. Until you actually have used and owned a boat in the waters that you will be cruising, you really don't know the answers to those questions. You might think you know, but experience is the best teacher.
Ahhh Yes... Experience! An important part of the "boat-choosing-equation" that makes the correct choice of a boat much more possible to occur.

Talking about choosing the "correct" boat by you, or me, or Walt is slanted at best in regard to newbies trying to do the same thing. Cause they just don't/can't know what really makes the right boat "correct" to own... but we do!

I spoke with Friar George before he found his boat.... hope that helped.

BTW - Where is the good Friar. Haven't heard from him for months. RT might know??
Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #92
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are far more factors than size though and all must be covered in a good list of requirements. Your requirements are not that "I must have a 50' boat." That's a way to meet certain requirements. Requirements are what the boat must do and be capable of and the objectives. Things like must sleep x, must have large galley up, must be seaworthy for trips outside and to the Bahamas, must be able to be handled by two, must have chairs, not ladders to the bridge, must have headroom in the Engine Room, must have 6'4" headroom in the cabins, must have at least 3 separate living areas for husband wife and daughter so we can have our own space when cruising if desired, must have a large pilothouse so the entire family can sit with the captain. This is how you get there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #93
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Maybe we're slow learners but we owned two boats before we understood exactly what the perfect boat for us was.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #94
Guru

City: West Coast
Well, if I could afford it, I would buy Invictus (Caruso's 216' Burgess).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #95
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I might be willing to go in with you and 10 others to reserve a single day (at the low winter season rate) aboard Invictus so long as they don't fire up the engines or dip into the wine cellar

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Maybe we're slow learners but we owned two boats before we understood exactly what the perfect boat for us was.

Not necessarily slow learners, our needs change over time. The Catalina 36 I inherited was a great boat, but it wasn't perfect for us. Once we figured it out, we bought the Catalina 400 which was the perfect boat until I got old and decrepit.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #97
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
No, no, no...I can't believe that, sorry, Traveler. Because sometimes when I am dream building, I think what boat I would buy if money was no object, and the boat that springs to mind is one I could cruise the world in, live aboard, yet not so big as to be just over-the-top expensive to maintain, and I come up with a boat just like yours or twistedtree's. A Nordy 60 if I'm not mistaken. I know that's what Twisted has anyway. If I'm wrong about yours, I'm not far wrong, and it's your fault, because you have not completed your profile yet.

PS. Actually, looking at your avatar, you might not have wannabe front windows, so that's make it a 50 maybe..? No, might it be a 75 Yachtfisher..? Still just the ticket anyway.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #98
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If I'm wrong about yours, I'm not far wrong, and it's your fault, because you have not completed your profile yet.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #99
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I may be completely wrong Peter but believe MY Traveler is a Mikelson 75 sport fisher.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #100
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I may be completely wrong Peter but believe MY Traveler is a Mikelson 75 sport fisher.
Definitely looks like a Mikelson to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote