How big is too big ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My must have list is diesel shaft drive, walk around deck, No aft cabin, large rear deck direct off cabin no steps, single engine, 360 deg view from helm and inside seating .

Maybe I should just add 7' to my present boat ? and give it a new paint job and carpet :rofl:

The boat you describe is a NT or AT for sure but here's a crazy thought to muddy the waters.

Why not spend $150,000 refitting the boat you have?

Yeah it's an idea that makes no financial sense but then again boats never make sense financially anyway. Won't get you more room but it will get you one hell of a nice boat with brand new everything.

In my current search for a larger boat I'm now asking myself at what size dose a boat become too big to be handled on my own ? ...

.... am I just to overly confident and not yet found myself in a position where I need help:hide: .

..... my No1 so far is walk around deck

I'm only three years into my boat, which is 50ft LOD, 60ft LOA with anchor sprit and large tender on aft davits. I'm fine single-handed close quarters manoeuvring in most conditions, but always ready and willing to go around or abort if necessary.

One issue with a bigger boat is the increased size of the gear. I once found myself in a remote anchorage with failed hydraulics and the need to haul an 80lb anchor on 14mm chain. I ended up using a handy billy, but 2 foot per haul was tough. My spare anchor is now the biggest fortress I can handle myself and I now have three higher-ratio handy billies to cover davit failure, MOB, and a rig to operate the emergency tiller from the helm position.

I reckon the trick with a big boat, just like all safety issues on the water, is to carefully think though ALL situations needing manpower and make plans to deal with them solo when they happen.

Of course only you can decide if bigger is better for you, but if you do decide go bigger, you're on the right track wanting full walkaround decks.

The boat is too big when that worry becomes the reason not to use it. But of course you won't know that until it happens.:)

Last edited:
One approach in determining a good size for you would be to figure out what you want to do with your boat. Then talk to boaters who are doing what you plan to do and see what size boat they have and what are the benefits and drawbacks. One can envision situations where a boat could be too large or too small for a given use. This is different then what is the largest boat I can handle.

The boat you describe is a NT or AT for sure but here's a crazy thought to muddy the waters.

Why not spend $150,000 refitting the boat you have?

Yeah it's an idea that makes no financial sense but then again boats never make sense financially anyway. Won't get you more room but it will get you one hell of a nice boat with brand new everything.

Not a bad idea but Australia has a massive lack of good trades persons and the good ones demand $75/$100 a hour so you get very little done here .Since Australia entered the flat earth trade agreement we have lost our trades and manufacturing its reached a sad state and will never recover .We cant even make a car here in 2 years the last 2 car manufactures will close shop and 1000s of allied suppliers will vanish .
You may see my delimiter that is you get nothing for $250000 here apart from someone else's problems. This may give you a idea a 200hp John Deer engine and gearbox upgrade would leave little change for $90000

Rant over :eek:

A lot to consider and after a lot of sole searching a 35 to 37' Nordic Tug type boat is what we are now looking for we have ditched the thoughts of a 42'/45' and also decided a fly bridge is no longer a must have item.:whistling: This extra 7 foot isn't much of a step up from 30' but for the 2 of us 95% of the time that's all we need . Maybe a few more comforts and a little younger than our 2003 . My greatest problem to purchasing here in Australia is there is so little on the market to chose from and so much rubbish to sort through .As I see it from what I have my heart set on to what available is going to be yet another compromise .

My must have list is diesel shaft drive, walk around deck, No aft cabin, large rear deck direct off cabin no steps, single engine, 360 deg view from helm and inside seating .

Again, I am not sure what it is that you are trying to accomplish with a bigger boat. Is it just to have more space generally? Being able to take family guests? Longer waterline to increase cruise speed?

My wife and I have pretty much the same requirement list as you have other than we really want a second cabin to more comfortably take family. My wife is in love with the 39' American Tug but it is way out of our budget. I would love a KK 42 if I could afford anything newer than 30 years old. A KK 39 might also meet all your needs nicely.

Where I am there are lots of boats that would meet your requirements, it is just a matter of money. I would imagine that there would be a lot of great boats in AUS, but is a big continent I suppose.

Where I am there are lots of boats that would meet your requirements, it is just a matter of money. I would imagine that there would be a lot of great boats in AUS, but is a big continent I suppose.

Big continent yes population 24 million California 39 million ?

Boats for sale Australia that are diesel shaft $100K to $270K
mono hull fit the "word "cruiser/trawler 25 boats of the 25 that are under 15 years old 5

So I have bugger all choice LOL

Last edited:
Big continent yes population 24 million California 39 million ?

Boats for sale Australia that are diesel shaft $100K to $270K
mono hull fit the "word "cruiser/trawler 25 boats of the 25 that are under 15 years old 5

So I have bugger all choice LOL

You have a choice of 5. Are you in need of more than 5 boats? Ok, that was cruel. My former employer briefly owned a business in Australia (through an acquisition). I traveled there to evaluate the business. The realization was that growth was unrealistic. We already were the dominant company in Australia, but that was like manufacturing in NC and only selling in NC, SC and GA.

Most people in the US just don't have a perspective of what a large country it is and how few people nor how expensive that makes many products because such a large percentage is imported.

One other issue comes into play. Importing boats into the US is easy and the duty is minimal at 1.5%. Not as easy or cheap in Australia.

My advice remains to use an expert to do so. That means a broker with experience and an import agent with the same.

I'd be ecstatic if I could have your choice! (One of my favorite boats...)
Thanks - the truth is I am ecstatic - it's just that my understated British style won't let me admit that :whistling:

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

IRRC your Duck also has doors on both sides of the PH? I think that would be a huge requirement for me.

Being that I am completely ignorant I will ask, how would you use a windlass to help with the docking?

Dave

No I do not have doors on both sides of my wheel house, but I have a full door to the stern and a half door to the bow I can slid under if needed or run a rope through.

A wireless mid ship windless would work great.
Have the windless line setup with a large loop.
Spool out the rope and get it set up through the side as needed.
Set up a poll with the rope at the side where you plan on catching a poll or cleat.
If possible use the poll out the wheel house window.
If not head out the back of the wheel house and your 12 steps from mid ship.
As you head back into the wheel house use the remote to control the line.
A well placed mid ship line should hold you to the dock as you tie up your boat.

If I had a mid ship windlass I would also be run the line to the bow of my boat with out any issues.

Thanks, I can picture that now.

Wireless windless.... I never even imagined something like that existed.

Once you get big enough that you don't want to use the Braille method of docking, and from there at least up to 70 or 80 feet, the bigger the boat, the easier single-handing becomes, everything else being equal. The comment above about big boats not being blown around as much is exactly my experience. More than once I have noticed, when approaching a fuel or bait dock on a windy day, it is typically the 35' and under that get blown around the most and seem to be the least under control.

Docking single-handed is most practical when the helm position is close to dock level and ladders or steps are unnecessary to safely get onto the dock.

It's really a matter of being able to get the boat secured to the dock before leaving the boat. A spring line and correct rudder position is enough to accomplish that. The rest is just clean up so you can turn the engine(s) off.

The comment above about big boats not being blown around as much is exactly my experience. More than once I have noticed, when approaching a fuel or bait dock on a windy day, it is typically the 35' and under that get blown around the most and seem to be the least under control.
:iagree:I once had a 54' sport fisher and it was a piece of cake to dock.

Give me a 200 ton twin engine boat with 5000 or so hp, toss in a joystick I can use on the deck controlling the engines and the 60 hp bow and stern thrusters. Oh and toss in some Maxwell Capstans with lines for tying.

Now back to the OP's issue. Size based on your needs, what you can afford to buy and use and maintain, and what you can manage fully and still have the time to enjoy boating.

As to single handing, it's not a matter or docking, but a matter of all the other things that can happen while you're on the water. It's also just like any other boating in that you need to have a plan in advance for all the "what-if's." If you're doing ICW that may be as simple as "anchor and call for a tow." That's perfectly acceptable and far better than trying to fix it while aimlessly drifting into the rocks or shoal. That's where some panic when they never had a plan.

The hardest part of single handing is not docking,

Its the MAN OVERBOARD DRILL!

Back
Top Bottom