Old 09-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Yes, a Tracker Jon boat will work too. What's your point?

Probably to match the boat to the mission. Everyone on the internet says they do but the people I meet on the docks complain that they didn't.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
IRRC your Duck also has doors on both sides of the PH? I think that would be a huge requirement for me.

Being that I am completely ignorant I will ask, how would you use a windlass to help with the docking?

Dave
You could toss the anchor onto the dock and reel the boat over to it?

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Northport
I have had no issues single handed with our 47 boat over the past 9 seasons and I often bring it to the dock by myself. Access to each side and easily handled lines make it fairly easy - choose wisely and have fun boating.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The biggest boat I even single handed was 80'. But not on a regular basis by any means.

On a boat with bow thruster, stern thruster and a wireless remote control, you could single had a 150 footer or more.

But it's not about single handling t when everything goes smoothly. It's when things go wrong and you can't be in two places at once that even a 35' boat can be to much to handle alone.
Capt Bill alludes to another factor too. if to you single handing is just docking and anchoring then, like Bill, a 100'+ is possible. Even joysticks available incorporating the thrusters and remotes to make it easy. However, to me there are all the other factors. When things go wrong. Even when things go right. You have an ER you need to check. You have routine maintenance. Just washing the boat down at the end of a day of cruising. All the other aspects of managing the boat. So, I'd say consider it all and ask how large a boat can you manage before it becomes a job instead of pleasure? To me, the shift starts around 50' and as you get larger, little by little you have more work to do and less time to enjoy. By the time you hit 75' you better have a crew. Well, by default, you do have one, but it is you. You're captain, engineer, deck hand, stew and chef. Suddenly the owner or pleasure boater got booted out of the equation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Even if you are not a solo cruiser, I recommend understanding, and practicing, what would be involved in operating a given boat on your own without the help of crew. Stuff happens out there.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Being that I am completely ignorant I will ask, how would you use a windlass to help with the docking?

Dave
I occasionally use the capstan on my vertical windlass to suck the bow into the dock when the wind is working against me.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
So far I have been very happy with my choice
I'd be ecstatic if I could have your choice! (One of my favorite boats...)
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
So far nobody has mentioned that 50 or sometimes 40' is a size limit at some marinas and moorings. So its not always just the incremental cost, but above a certain size might limit your slip or mooring options.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
A lot to consider and after a lot of sole searching a 35 to 37' Nordic Tug type boat is what we are now looking for we have ditched the thoughts of a 42'/45' and also decided a fly bridge is no longer a must have item. This extra 7 foot isn't much of a step up from 30' but for the 2 of us 95% of the time that's all we need . Maybe a few more comforts and a little younger than our 2003 . My greatest problem to purchasing here in Australia is there is so little on the market to chose from and so much rubbish to sort through .As I see it from what I have my heart set on to what available is going to be yet another compromise .

My must have list is diesel shaft drive, walk around deck, No aft cabin, large rear deck direct off cabin no steps, single engine, 360 deg view from helm and inside seating .

Maybe I should just add 7' to my present boat ? and give it a new paint job and carpet
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #30

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
So far nobody has mentioned that 50 or sometimes 40' is a size limit at some marinas and moorings. So its not always just the incremental cost, but above a certain size might limit your slip or mooring options.

Ken
Definitely an important consideration for some, however, you then get into all the variations of what is a 50' boat? Some marinas allow for a 3' fudge factor and then there is the marina that uses the LWL and the other that uses the LOA (including the swim step and anchor pulpit).
Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
My must have list is diesel shaft drive, walk around deck, No aft cabin, large rear deck direct off cabin no steps, single engine, 360 deg view from helm and inside seating .

Maybe I should just add 7' to my present boat ? and give it a new paint job and carpet
The boat you describe is a NT or AT for sure but here's a crazy thought to muddy the waters.

Why not spend $150,000 refitting the boat you have?

Yeah it's an idea that makes no financial sense but then again boats never make sense financially anyway. Won't get you more room but it will get you one hell of a nice boat with brand new everything.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #32

Quote:
In my current search for a larger boat I'm now asking myself at what size dose a boat become too big to be handled on my own ? ...

.... am I just to overly confident and not yet found myself in a position where I need help .

..... my No1 so far is walk around deck
I'm only three years into my boat, which is 50ft LOD, 60ft LOA with anchor sprit and large tender on aft davits. I'm fine single-handed close quarters manoeuvring in most conditions, but always ready and willing to go around or abort if necessary.

One issue with a bigger boat is the increased size of the gear. I once found myself in a remote anchorage with failed hydraulics and the need to haul an 80lb anchor on 14mm chain. I ended up using a handy billy, but 2 foot per haul was tough. My spare anchor is now the biggest fortress I can handle myself and I now have three higher-ratio handy billies to cover davit failure, MOB, and a rig to operate the emergency tiller from the helm position.

I reckon the trick with a big boat, just like all safety issues on the water, is to carefully think though ALL situations needing manpower and make plans to deal with them solo when they happen.

Of course only you can decide if bigger is better for you, but if you do decide go bigger, you're on the right track wanting full walkaround decks.

The boat is too big when that worry becomes the reason not to use it. But of course you won't know that until it happens.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
One approach in determining a good size for you would be to figure out what you want to do with your boat. Then talk to boaters who are doing what you plan to do and see what size boat they have and what are the benefits and drawbacks. One can envision situations where a boat could be too large or too small for a given use. This is different then what is the largest boat I can handle.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post

LOL I would be 1000 X ecstatic to own your boat just watched for the 4th time bloody amazing trip and beautiful boat thanks for sharing
Old 09-20-2015, 01:45 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The boat you describe is a NT or AT for sure but here's a crazy thought to muddy the waters.

Why not spend $150,000 refitting the boat you have?

Yeah it's an idea that makes no financial sense but then again boats never make sense financially anyway. Won't get you more room but it will get you one hell of a nice boat with brand new everything.

Not a bad idea but Australia has a massive lack of good trades persons and the good ones demand $75/$100 a hour so you get very little done here .Since Australia entered the flat earth trade agreement we have lost our trades and manufacturing its reached a sad state and will never recover .We cant even make a car here in 2 years the last 2 car manufactures will close shop and 1000s of allied suppliers will vanish .
You may see my delimiter that is you get nothing for $250000 here apart from someone else's problems. This may give you a idea a 200hp John Deer engine and gearbox upgrade would leave little change for $90000

Rant over
Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 AM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
A lot to consider and after a lot of sole searching a 35 to 37' Nordic Tug type boat is what we are now looking for we have ditched the thoughts of a 42'/45' and also decided a fly bridge is no longer a must have item. This extra 7 foot isn't much of a step up from 30' but for the 2 of us 95% of the time that's all we need . Maybe a few more comforts and a little younger than our 2003 . My greatest problem to purchasing here in Australia is there is so little on the market to chose from and so much rubbish to sort through .As I see it from what I have my heart set on to what available is going to be yet another compromise .

Again, I am not sure what it is that you are trying to accomplish with a bigger boat. Is it just to have more space generally? Being able to take family guests? Longer waterline to increase cruise speed?

My wife and I have pretty much the same requirement list as you have other than we really want a second cabin to more comfortably take family. My wife is in love with the 39' American Tug but it is way out of our budget. I would love a KK 42 if I could afford anything newer than 30 years old. A KK 39 might also meet all your needs nicely.

Where I am there are lots of boats that would meet your requirements, it is just a matter of money. I would imagine that there would be a lot of great boats in AUS, but is a big continent I suppose.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:34 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:

Where I am there are lots of boats that would meet your requirements, it is just a matter of money. I would imagine that there would be a lot of great boats in AUS, but is a big continent I suppose.

Big continent yes population 24 million California 39 million ?

Boats for sale Australia that are diesel shaft $100K to $270K
mono hull fit the "word "cruiser/trawler 25 boats of the 25 that are under 15 years old 5

So I have bugger all choice LOL
Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Big continent yes population 24 million California 39 million ?

Boats for sale Australia that are diesel shaft $100K to $270K
mono hull fit the "word "cruiser/trawler 25 boats of the 25 that are under 15 years old 5

So I have bugger all choice LOL
You have a choice of 5. Are you in need of more than 5 boats? Ok, that was cruel. My former employer briefly owned a business in Australia (through an acquisition). I traveled there to evaluate the business. The realization was that growth was unrealistic. We already were the dominant company in Australia, but that was like manufacturing in NC and only selling in NC, SC and GA.

Most people in the US just don't have a perspective of what a large country it is and how few people nor how expensive that makes many products because such a large percentage is imported.

One other issue comes into play. Importing boats into the US is easy and the duty is minimal at 1.5%. Not as easy or cheap in Australia.

My advice remains to use an expert to do so. That means a broker with experience and an import agent with the same.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #39
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Thanks - the truth is I am ecstatic - it's just that my understated British style won't let me admit that

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Norfolk
Vessel Model: 48' duck
Quote:
IRRC your Duck also has doors on both sides of the PH? I think that would be a huge requirement for me.

Dave
No I do not have doors on both sides of my wheel house, but I have a full door to the stern and a half door to the bow I can slid under if needed or run a rope through.

A wireless mid ship windless would work great.
Have the windless line setup with a large loop.
Spool out the rope and get it set up through the side as needed.
Set up a poll with the rope at the side where you plan on catching a poll or cleat.
If possible use the poll out the wheel house window.
If not head out the back of the wheel house and your 12 steps from mid ship.
As you head back into the wheel house use the remote to control the line.
A well placed mid ship line should hold you to the dock as you tie up your boat.

If I had a mid ship windlass I would also be run the line to the bow of my boat with out any issues.

choppywater is offline   Reply With Quote