Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Having seen hundreds of marine mammal and human propellor strikes...that may or may not be one...single deep slice on a small mammal...just doesn't fit what I have seen in all my comings and goings assisting marine mammal centers during my time in the USCG.

That would have had to occur on an animal almost incapable of moving itself.

And nice sympathy "shock" post...hitting adolphin with a trawler...I'd bet a thou right now that you couldn't do it if you tried...it would be in bad taste... but would prove my point.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
One advantage "the rich" have over Joe Bayliner or Sally Searay is that they can often afford to, and not infrequently do, hire someone who's not an arrogant ******* to run their boats for them even if they might be one.

With the 99-percenters you have to put up with their ignorance and lack of book-larnin' directly.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Having seen hundreds of marine mammal and human propellor strikes...that may or may not be one...single deep slice on a small mammal...just doesn't fit what I have seen in all my comings and goings assisting marine mammal centers during my time in the USCG.....
I have to agree. That slice looks way too clean to be from a boat prop.
A spinning prop would leave multiple cuts and bruises, at least from everything I have seen.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

Not saying it is or isn't, nor am I implying by saying this that there is no need to be careful around the other creatures that share our world.

But I work in a world where computer generated imagery has been raised to a totally convincing art and I have learned to be skeptical of just about any kind of image these days. In showing the photo this evening to a couple of our CGI guys, they said that could very easily be a computer generated image. From a computer graphics point of view they said it would be dirt simple. In fact one of them said that it's not even very good CGI because in that environment a cut would not be that clean and neat. There would be blood and tissue and "stuff" messing up that nice clean slice, particularly in the water.

So..... not saying it is CGI and not saying it's not. And if it is real it's sad to see another life being ended this way. But it would be very easy to create this same shot with digital graphics given the same original photo or photo elements.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #85
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

So..... not saying it is CGI and not saying it's not. And if it is real it's sad to see another life being ended this way. But it would be very easy to create this same shot with digital graphics given the same original photo or photo elements.
My son is a student learning 3D Computer Graphics and took a quick peek at the image just now and agrees completely with Marin's CGI guys. He said it wouldn't be that hard to replicate.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #86

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
By right clicking on that photo and clicking 'view image info', (on my Mac computer, in Firefox) this is what comes up http://images.onset.freedom.com/spbr...8-dolphin2.jpg

Following that address shows you that photo. The company freedom.com is a media holding company.
That's all I could find out.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #87
Guru

Thanks for what I would consider support to my theory about a prop strike in that photo...certainly prop strikes occur, but I doubt from boats travelling at 10 knots or less...

....but that's NOT what I'm really trying to relate all the way back to the OPs post.

That it SURE wasn't a trawler stike....thus avoiding dolphins with a trawler is NOT necessary (manatees more caution)....so sudden stops after transiting a bridge area are either forecast and YOU call is paramount or rare, thus being followed closely in some situations is a norm rather than something to get in a huff about.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #88

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
How about some happier marine mammal pictures?

A week ago we took our trawler out to see if we could find a pod of transient Orca that were reported to be heading our way. About an hour out we found them, and cruised along with the pod for about an hour. We had no problem staying outside the minimum distance (200 yards), except once when the pod surfaced just about 50 yards in front of the boat. We shut down and drifted for a few minutes until the pod safely moved on.

We have owned boats in Puget Sound for well over a decade now, and this is only the 2nd time we've seen Orca. The trawler appears to be much more marine animal friendly -- Orca, Dall's porpoises, seals, and sealions are all less apt to disappear in the presence of this boat than the 28' Bayliner, even though we generally cruised the Bayliner at slower speeds (~5 kts vs ~7).

We didn't have our good camera with us, so these are mostly cell-phone shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoomed.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	11067   Click image for larger version

Name:	FerryBackground.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	11068   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResearchBoat.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	11069   Click image for larger version

Name:	WithSailboat.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	11070  
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #89
Scraping Paint

Probably the coolest experience we have had to date on the water was back in the 90s when we were fishing off Possession Point in Puget Sound. We were headed back to Everett when we suddenly realized there were Orcas (which are technically really big dolphins) all over the place. We learned later that this was a rare joining of J and K pods, the two pods that frequent the Sound during the summer. We slowed to an idle and turned off the depth sounder. For perhaps a half hour we were surrounded by them. They came up next to the boat, they passed just feet in front of the bow, they did half-rolls on the surface to look at us. One big male did a "spy hop" right next to the boat--- they come vertically about a quarter of the way out of the water and stay there for a few moments looking at you. They were so close we could see the little porpoises that sometime accompany them swimming beside their heads like pilot fish. It was a truly amazing experience.

And it wasn't just around us. There were Orcas all over the place, all heading slowly north, between Whidbey Island and Mukilteo on the mainland.

A lot of other smaller fishing boats saw this and stopped and watched, and some of them got the same treatment we did, with Orcas surrounding their boats.

During this time several big cruisers plowed through the channel on their way back to Everett. Big Baylinery\Tollycrafty sort of things, pushing half the Sound around. Their skippers sat up on their flying bridges, staring straight ahead, totally oblivious to what was going on in the water around them. A few people in the smaller boats shouted and pointed, not to warn them about the Orcas but to tell them about them so they could watch them, too, but they looked neither right or left and just kept plowing their furrows for Everett.

We've had small pods of transient Orcas--- the ones that eat seals instead of salmon--- come right past our drifting boat in Knight Inlet when we were halibut fishing up the north end of Vancouver Island. That's cool, but it's nothing compared to that day when we were in the middle of J and K pods.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #90
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Real or PS? Hard to tell these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finger-slicing.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	11073  
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #91
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I did not post the photo to change the discussion to altering photos digitally, I took it from a website that documents dangers to dolphins and actual known injuries to dolphins from moving boats. I had, and have no reason to believe that it's not an actual, unaltered photo of such an injury. There are other photos on-line of dolphin injuries caused by boats. I seriously doubt that they have been altered.

------------------------------------------------

I participate in boating forums for two reasons; to learn about boating from others, and to share my knowledge of boating with others.

Unfortunately, every Internet forum has its share of members who participate, not to learn or share, but to argue. Argue with just about any statement they decide to argue on. If they have nothing to say, they post it anyway.

This forum seems to have more than its share of such "know it alls", people who just argue for argument's sake. You know who you are and everyone else does as well.

If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #92
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Now that just adds fuel to the fire for a post titled "How best to handle strange behavior? "
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #93
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk.
I take it your comment is directed toward me. I alter photos with photoshop and other software as a hobby. I think it's a challenge to do it well. My reason for posting the photo was to illustrate what can be done these days. It was not intended to downplay injuries to marine mammals and fish by the boating public. The majority of my posts over the years have been about the technical aspects of boating. We have all seen how topics can drift into other subjects like this did. For that I apologize. However, the "*******" thing can better be addressed in a PM. That is unless it makes you feel better to post your thoughts on the open board.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #94
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I take it your comment is directed toward me. I alter photos with photoshop and other software as a hobby. I think it's a challenge to do it well. My reason for posting the photo was to illustrate what can be done these days. It was not intended to downplay injuries to marine mammals and fish by the boating public. The majority of my posts over the years have been about the technical aspects of boating. We have all seen how topics can drift into other subjects like this did. For that I apologize. However, the "*******" thing can better be addressed in a PM. That is unless it makes you feel better to post your thoughts on the open board.
No, not towards you unless you are part of this group:

"If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk."
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
No, not towards you unless you are part of this group:

"If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk."
Takes two to argue...and you are just as good as the rest of us...

Last time you pointed out us "arguementaive types" you pouted and said you would stop posting ...but you didn't...

Now you resort to name calling...

Let's go over it again...you are on the internet....why?????

All most of us are saying...is through experience...again I'll say it slowwwww....through experience...that a trawler is hardly a threat to a dolphin....
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
Scraping Paint

I think there are two equally valid points being made here.

1--- It is our responsibility to protect all forms of life on this planet, and anything we can do to make their lives better is a good thing in my opinon. Slowing down and being vigillant in waters inhabited by slow-moving manatees, for example, is one of these things. I don't boat in their waters but from what I've seen and read about them they are doing well to stay out of their own way let alone stay out of a boat's way.

2. Fast, smart, aware animals like dolphins and porpoises are not challenged by an 8 or 9 knot boat. That's not to say one of them can't make a mistake and get whacked by a prop just like we make mistakes and get run over by cars. High speed cruisers, ski boats, fast fishing boats, and so on are probably another matter. But from what I have observed of harbor porpoises, Dall porpoises, and Pacific whiteside porpoises, our 8 knot trawler is pretty much stationary to them. I don't think we could drive into the middle of a pod (herd, group, flock, bunch?) of unsuspecting porpoises if we wanted to. They are simply too aware and too fast for that to happen.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #97

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
One advantage "the rich" have over Joe Bayliner or Sally Searay is .........
Heck Marin, we always thought them Sea Ray guys was the rich ones.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #98
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Heck Marin, we always thought them Sea Ray guys was the rich ones.
Probably one of those relative comparisons. They're dirt poor comparied to Paul Allen and Bill Gates.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #99
Veteran Member

City: Block Island
Vessel Name: Galileo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
through experience...that a trawler is hardly a threat to a dolphin....
^ AGREE^

I can tell you through many years of commercial fishing and a few years of schloping around on my trawler that the dolphin / porpoise will easilly overtake any trawler and play with you and be gone ...
... some boat going 20kts ? .. thats alittle different

... but to post a pic that you didn't take and assume things makes an ass out of u and me
Bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #100
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Last fall while traveling about 7 knots in central San Pablo Bay, thought I saw the top of a pinniped's head about 15 feet ahead and about 10 feet to starboard. His whole head popped up about 100 feet astern seconds later, confirming his identity and well being. Copacetic.

Perhaps he or a relative were one of those resting/sunning themselves on the channel buoy between Ozol Pier and Benicia in Carquinez Strait last month.