Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #61
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
You might run over a manatee if they have any in your area but you definitely will not run over a dolphin, unless of course, it is retarded.
They love to play with boats and humans. Here are some shots i tool a while back from a 135' crew boat at above 20 kts.

The dark blue water pic was a dolphin playing in the stern wake which is kinda rare. Most like to surf and play in the bow wake. The first photo is of them playing and jumping in the bow wake.
Generally, the bigger the wake, the more likely you are to attract dolphins especially if you are playing Billy Joel or Judy Collins. BTW, they do not like hard rock. I never tried rap because i never have any on board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow Wake.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	11053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern Wake.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	11054  

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #62

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
One More Time Around: The Blame - Our Most Generous Moment

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #63
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
you definitely will not run over a dolphin, unless of course, it is retarded.
I was recently told on another boating forum that the use of one my favorite words - 'retarded' - was no longer socially exceptable.
But then, I wasn't referring to dolphins.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
........'retarded' - was no longer socially exceptable.
But then, I wasn't referring to dolphins.
Actually, you are correct - unfortunately.
Let me relate a story from about 15 years ago when I use to date a psychologist. And No!!!, I wasn't part of her thesis. . I think. LOL

Anyway, the relatively new term is 'developmentally delayed". She was speaking to a mother whose child was developmentally delayed and trying to explain her situation to her as a mother. The childs mother has been to many PHD's and MD's and was at her witts end. Then my old GF used the term 'retarded' and the woman broke down into tears. She said "I knew it, I just knew it". The problem was that she was famimiar with the term 'retarded' and no one ever used it. When her child was repeatedly diagnosed as 'developmentally delayed' she was confused as the when the child would 'catch up' since the child was 'delayed'. In the quest to soften up the language, they inadvertantly softened up the impact and seriousness of the situation. She kept thanking my old GF for being up-front with her. She now understood the situation for the first time. Anyway, that is what happened.
I often use the word retarded inappropriately for society but correctly for some people I have to deal with every day. Kick my ass if you want because I will still use that term as a derogatory term for supposedly normal people that are just 'retarded'.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #65
Guru

Man !!!!!
Talk about straying off the original topic. Sheesch!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #66
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
If I am close enough to see a face I use the P.A.

Let's me say what I want without the VHF police comming down on me.

I am not ashamed to say what I feel to idiots.

Horn broken watch for middle finger.

SD
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it.
Makes too much sense though.
Regards

Tony B
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #68
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #69
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
yep...playful and just about unhittable...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #70
Scraping Paint

City: -
I am with psneeld on this (the forum profiles no longer include the person's name--- or I can't find it--- so I appologize for using your avatar name instead).

There have been times when we have been followed to and through the entrance to our marina or through a narrow channel in the islands by a commercial fishboat a boat length or less behind us. This has never bothered us because I'm not going to be slamming on brakes and coming to an almost instant stop. And if I do need to stop quickly, "quickly" will not be the operative word. And there is always room for the following boat to dodge a bit to port or starboard to avoid hitting us if it should come to that. No channels or passes that we've been in are exactly twelve feet wide.

As to stopping for dolphins, well, we have done that but not because we thought we might hit them but because we wanted to watch them. One thing we do is if we see a pod of Orcas heading directly our way we stop the boat, turn off the engines (or OB if we're in the Arima) and the depth sounder and drift until they pass us. Often when we do this they come right up to the boat and check us out. We've also done this in SE Alaska with the Beaver. See a pod of Orcas going somewhere, fly out about a mile ahead of them and land, shut down and drift as they go by. We've had them come right up to the plane to look at us. One time we had a big male come up beside the float we were standing on and the top of his dorsal fin cleared the underside of the wing by only a foot or so. That's impressive.

We've had schools of Pacific white-sided dolphins come play around our Arima when we're trolling for salmon up the north end of Vancouver Island. I have sometimes worried about them accidentally brushing against the prop of the trollng motor but even though they are right next to the boat they stay away from the stern. So I think they're pretty aware of what's going on around them. Big whales do get hit by props sometimes but I don't know why that is. None of the big whales we've been around in the Arima or GB--- minke, humpback, and gray--- have ever gotten very close to us except once in Bellingham Bay. On that occasion we were surrounded by four or five bubble feeding gray whales so we shut the engines down on the GB, turned off the depth sounder, and just drifted while they fed all around us. That was impressive, too, to have something larger than the boat gliding under you.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #71
Guru

I have a book on the SC bottlenosed dolphins and in the book are photos of dolphins that have been hit by boats and boat props. If I see one in front of the boat, I will stop or at least reduce the engine speed to idle and shift into neutral.

As for following closely, not all boaters are paying 100% attention to what they are doing. A boat may even be on auto pilot. It would bother me having someone just one or two boat lengths behind me. Most likely, I would slow to an eventual stop and force the other boat to pass or explain his/her actions.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have a book on the SC bottlenosed dolphins and in the book are photos of dolphins that have been hit by boats and boat props. If I see one in front of the boat, I will stop or at least reduce the engine speed to idle and shift into neutral.

As for following closely, not all boaters are paying 100% attention to what they are doing. A boat may even be on auto pilot. It would bother me having someone just one or two boat lengths behind me. Most likely, I would slow to an eventual stop and force the other boat to pass or explain his/her actions.
A dolphin hit by a trawler that just went through a bridge...yeah...more likely hit by a meteor. I'm gonna guess that boats that hit dolphins are probably travelling well in excess of 25 maybe even 35 knots... or the dolphin was NOT healthy, etc...etc...

May...possibly...might..."not all boaters are paying 100% attention "..."A boat may even be on auto pilot." Right after coming through the bridge and about to pass someone??? I think not...
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #73
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
This is such an interesting thread. Reminds me of several things, but I'll stick to a boating related one:

So we were on about an eight hour cruise last year and about half way into we had to make a right turn off the main river into a slough. you can keep going up the river to end up in the same place but nobody goes that way. We were just about to start our turn when what looked to be easily a million dollar "motor yacht" with a burgee from the most exclusive YC in the area blew by us, between our boat and the channel marker for the slough, and continued on straight--the way nobody goes. He was MAYBE two boat lengths away and gave us a huge wake that we barely had room and time to turn into as it was so close. He was up on his flybridge and gave us a friendly wave as I laid myself over the table down below to keep my laptop and the papers I was working with from flying everywhere. We always lay our TV on the bed so that wasn't an issue. We've also added latches to keep the cupboards from popping open (anymore) so it wasn't TOO big of a disaster down below. Glad I was sitting down when it happened. Once the rocking subsided and we were headed down the slough, I went up on the flybridge to check on Matt. He was fine, just the throwable PFDs, binoculars, whatever was loose up there got tossed around.

And here comes the a-hole right behind us again?? He'd seen us turn and realized he'd blown by the slough. Except now we are both behind a huge freighter being pushed by two tow boats. And this is a fairly narrow channel. Well our fellow boater didn't have time for THAT nonsense so he passed us again (we were both going much more slowly this time, thankfully) and went up to the rear tug and sent his wife out to talk to the tug operators. He then turned his boat around and went around the freighter on the opposite side so we followed him around. He soon sped up again and lost us in his wake.

I guess it is a good thing he was there to show us how it is done or we would have wasted a good five or ten minutes out of our eight hour trip watching the tugs maneuvering that freighter into port.

I have no doubt he was COMPLETELY oblivious to how much wake he was throwing out, just as he was to where he was and that he needed to turn! I try to keep my mellow mood despite the idiots. All it takes is some money and anyone can buy a boat and join an exclusive YC.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A dolphin hit by a trawler that just went through a bridge...yeah...more likely hit by a meteor. I'm gonna guess that boats that hit dolphins are probably travelling well in excess of 25 maybe even 35 knots... or the dolphin was NOT healthy, etc...etc...

May...possibly...might..."not all boaters are paying 100% attention "..."A boat may even be on auto pilot." Right after coming through the bridge and about to pass someone??? I think not...
Whatever.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #75
Guru

Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #76
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Jennifer, the million-dollar yacht couple are seem to be used to always getting their way. ... I would have been tempted to write a letter to their commodore asking if that behavior was acceptable with their club.

Rwidman, that photo is sickening.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #77
Scraping Paint

City: -
That's very sad. Do you know how it happened?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #78
Guru

A web search on different variations of "dolphin injured" and "boat" will return sad stories and warnings. Apparently, there are more "retarded" dolphins out there than some forum members are aware of.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Rwidman, that photo is sickening.
Yes it is. I thought a while about reposting it, but some folks can't believe anything they don't see with their own eyes.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A web search on different variations of "dolphin injured" and "boat" will return sad stories and warnings. Apparently, there are more "retarded" dolphins out there than some forum members are aware of.
Not really...some members think a 7-8 knot boat is capable of taking down the average dolphin...all I can say to that is THAT member has NOT spent much time around marine mammals on the water or just doesn't get it ...and yes I have searched the internet...most of the "reports" come from the news or an animal rights group.

And for those that always think the "rich" are the ignorant "ahol*s"...belive me there's plenty of older trawlers plying the intracoastal that wake the crap out of others too...