Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I'll bet you were in Louisiana at the time. Anyway, depending where in La. you are, the traffic in channels changes from 16 to 13 in most places.
A good book to buy is US Coast Pilot for the Gulf of Mex area. Thay have all that onfo and also bridge and locks info including radio freq's and telephone numbers.
If you had used your horn, I seriously doubt he would have heard it.
I was on the Atlantic ICW in South Carolina. Isn't 16 the international hailing channel?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
psneeld,

I understand that you are discussing the intercoastal and the situation can be different in different areas.

Yes, recreational boaters must monitor VHF 16 when not using the VHF on another channel.

My point is, that the monitoring of VHF 16 by ALL vessels is not a 'universal' rule and there are exceptions.

My opinion is that to be sure of reaching a large ship, or tow, use VHF 13, or the Traffic Control VHF channel if there is one in the area where you are operating.

Here are the areas with Vessel Traffic Systems:
Berwick Bay, Louisiana
Houston/Galveston
Los Angeles/Long Beach
Louisville
Lower Mississippi River
New York
Port Arthur
Prince William Sound
Puget Sound
Saint Mary's River
San Francisco
Tampa
So, if I hail a tug on channel 16 and it does not resopnd, I'm supposed to try all the channels, one at a time? If 16 isn't "universal", what's the point? If I call a Mayday on 16, the commercial boats won't hear it?

Or did this guy just think I was too insignificant to warrant a response?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #43
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
...... Isn't 16 the international hailing channel?
Yes, 16 is the International Hailing Channel. There are exceptions when going inland in channels and Louisiana has a few exceptions. Most channels are VHF 13. So, for example, if you are coming onto the Atchafalaya River Channel from the Gulf you will switch from VHF 16 in the open Gulf to VHF 13 for the channel. Most of their bridges and locks are VHF 10. I believe the Mississippi River is something like 67? Dont remember for sure. That is why you should use the "US Coast Pilot" when on the ICW.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #44

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
rwidman,

I would try VHF 13 after 16 didn't get a response. All the large ships and tugs are required to monitor VHF 13. If they don't respond, they are ignoring you, have the volume turned down, are in the head, or otherwise not exhibiting good seamanship.

If the communication is vital, call the CG on 16 and see if they can get through. The Coasties might not look too kindly on a large commercial ignoring the radio.

Remember, VHF 13 is a 'low power' 1 watt channel, so if you have anything wrong with your radio installation, they might not be able to hear you.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Yes, 16 is the International Hailing Channel. There are exceptions when going inland in channels and Louisiana has a few exceptions. Most channels are VHF 13. So, for example, if you are coming onto the Atchafalaya River Channel from the Gulf you will switch from VHF 16 in the open Gulf to VHF 13 for the channel. Most of their bridges and locks are VHF 10. I believe the Mississippi River is something like 67? Dont remember for sure. That is why you should use the "US Coast Pilot" when on the ICW.
To be perfectly clear, I was in South Carolina (my hone state), not Louisiana. Bridges in SC answer channel 9.

While the Atlantic ICW carries commercial traffic, it is extensively used by recreational boaters. I suspect the vast majority expect to hail or be hailed on channel 16. The rest have no VHF or no clue.

If it happens again, I'll signal my intentions with my (loud) horn and see what happens.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #46
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Let me play Devil's Advocate on this, if I may...
Words of wisdom! Well written and thought out...
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Words of wisdom! Well written and thought out...
Thanks... I was having a "Marin Moment" and thought I was due a long reply.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Let me play Devil's Advocate on this, if I may.
I think you hit on a lot of truisms in your post. "Stuff" flying around in your boat is basically your fault for not stowing or securing it. But I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the issue of injury. Yes, the skipper should see a wake coming in time to take some sort of action if necessary. But we know of people who were below decks, in the head or whatever, who did not hear a shouted warning because of the noise in the boat and were subsequently injured, in one case seriously enough to cause the cruise to be terminated. And we know of one instance where a pet was thrown hard to the floor and broke a leg.

So there's a bit more to this "waking" business than just getting tossed around a bit.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Down here in the south...FL...all it takes is to call the other boat and remind them that they "are responsible for any damage their wake causes"....that usually does the trick.

But...hey, Bevis and Butthead probably bought boats...and occasionally you will run across them....

I like to fantasize about launching a couple of flares into their boat....but alas, its not PC....so I can't do it.

Some people do it for fun.... I guess they know they are small and insignificant, so you just have to be prepared to take appropriate action to handle the wake....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I think everyone missed the point of the post. I'm not mad about the wake. I'm mad about another trawler crawling up my ass without contacting me via VHF. Communication is key.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #51
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I would guess most of us don't have to deal with the close quarters of the ICW. Here in the PNW when somebody wants to pass you, they give you some room and go on by either port or starboard. No horn, radio or hand signals other than the usual casual wave. The wake will eventually catch up to you and you have to be prepared to turn back into it at the right moment if necessary.

Now waking people at anchor really sucks and I hate to see that happen. Usually people are more careful about that, but you get the occasional knuckle head, who just plows on through the middle of the anchorage. What can you do, get on the radio and yell at him? If he's that stupid then it is unlikely he is listening to the VHF, more likely listening to Jimmy Buffet maybe.

We were in Fisherman's Bay, Lopez Island, walking down the guest dock and we came upon a boater cleaning crab. They looked a little small and he flipped one over and my girl friend said, "Hey, you can't keep that one, it's a female!" He responded, "How can you tell?" She pointed out the obvious wide tail of a female crab and said, "These all look to small!! Don't you have a WDF Sport Pamphlet, you can't be fishing for crab, if you don't know what you can keep?"
His response, "Well. . . We're from Seattle!" Now do you really think this guy would be listening to 16 on his VHF radio?

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
I think everyone missed the point of the post. I'm not mad about the wake. I'm mad about another trawler crawling up my ass without contacting me via VHF. Communication is key.
Even worse...trying to get everyone through a bridge as quick as possible is a good thing.

Unless you throw your boat into full reverse or run aground, there's no reason to worry about a boatlength between you. Maybe I'm less leary because I tow things for a living. And staying up close once through makes the pass go quicker once through the bridge.

In most stretches of the ICW coming up close to pass isn't unusual but a call on the radio is nice. The question still begs is did you get ansy and call before he did or was he just a jerk??? We don't know because you did call first with an attitude.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #53
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
[QUOTE=Egregious;84011].... I'm mad about another trawler crawling up my ass without contacting me via VHF..QUOTE]

Is it possible that he crawled up your ass to read your boats name in order to call you? When I was a crew boat capt in the Gulf of Mex we would sometimes have to crawl up someones ass in order to read their boat name. Some lettering is real small and some have fancy characters that are not easily read.
Also, crawling up someones ass is not always a good description of what is happening unless it is done for intentional harrassment.
It is often necessary at times in order to pass someone quickly. What appears to be crawling up someones ass might just be someone just trying to get up some speed before the passing.
Someone getting up close behind me in a boat does not bother me. Maybe it's because I'm used to being in small channels with a slow moving vessel. I have learned over time that very few people will use the VHF and that is just a fact of life on the water. Don't let it get to you. Just enjoy.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #54
Guru

[QUOTE=Tony B;84040]
Quote:
.... I'm mad about another trawler crawling up my ass without contacting me via VHF..QUOTE]

Is it possible that he crawled up your ass to read your boats name in order to call you? When I was a crew boat capt in the Gulf of Mex we would sometimes have to crawl up someones ass in order to read their boat name. Some lettering is real small and some have fancy characters that are not easily read.
Also, crawling up someones ass is not always a good description of what is happening unless it is done for intentional harrassment.
It is often necessary at times in order to pass someone quickly. What appears to be crawling up someones ass might just be someone just trying to get up some speed before the passing.
Someone getting up close behind me in a boat does not bother me. Maybe it's because I'm used to being in small channels with a slow moving vessel. I have learned over time that very few people will use the VHF and that is just a fact of life on the water. Don't let it get to you. Just enjoy.
Think about it...the scenario was they guy was flying up the ICW trying to make the bridge opening...he was waking everyone along his run...he catches up to the trawler in front and hugs their butt to see if the front guy's gonna accelerate to his cruisin' speed once through the bridge... if not...sticking close means he'll be ready for a quick pass. Before he feels the need to call, the front trawler calls and say's do you wanna pass?, he answers sure...then gets an attitude/lecture about being close.

I've seen it hundreds of times...nothing new here. Yes...waking all the marinas, boats etc trying to make the bridge is the big deal...not the coming up close and trying to get by. Ok...a call sooner might have been better...but I would be lecturing the guy about his wake...not the fact of being close behind.

Now if I HAD to make a quick slow down just through the bridge because I was turning into a marina, and COULDN'T maintain course and speed just through the bridge...then I would feel it my responsibility to initiate a VHF call.

All in all, the interaction between the trawlers isn't a big deal in my eyes...just the waking of the appraches to the bridge...if it was even that bad.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Guru

[QUOTE=Tony B;84040]
Quote:
.... I'm mad about another trawler crawling up my ass without contacting me via VHF..QUOTE]

............... I have learned over time that very few people will use the VHF and that is just a fact of life on the water. .
Not a "fact of life", but a fact none the less is that by rule, the other boat is required to contct the "stand on" boat and arrange for a safe pass.

We are talking about a pass in a narrow channel here, not a bay or harbor. Some boats do not have good vision from the helm to the rear. Without this required VHF or horn contact, the stand on boat may not know that there is about to be a pass and that he should not change course.

Time for mandatory boater education and licensing for all boaters.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Unless you throw your boat into full reverse or run aground, there's no reason to worry about a boatlength between you. Maybe I'm less leary because I tow things for a living. And staying up close once through makes the pass go quicker once through the bridge.
Well, perhaps there is. Just like when driving a car or truck on land, you may have to make a quick stop. For example, you may spot a (in my area) a dolphin or manatee directly in front of your boat and have to stop quickly to avoid hitting it. The person behind you will take a second or more to realize that you are making a quick stop and may run into you.

And remember, most boats do not have brake lights!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Well, perhaps there is. Just like when driving a car or truck on land, you may have to make a quick stop. For example, you may spot a (in my area) a dolphin or manatee directly in front of your boat and have to stop quickly to avoid hitting it. The person behind you will take a second or more to realize that you are making a quick stop and may run into you.

And remember, most boats do not have brake lights!
As a professional tower...all I have to say to that is....yeah OK...I do it day after day in crowded NJ waters...if you can't follow someone close as described in this scenario and stop/slow your boat in time...then don't follow too close...but most of us can...I see it every day...

You stop for dolphin??? You mean like those animals that ride your bow wake to perfection????
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #58
Guru

[QUOTE=rwidman;84050][QUOTE=Tony B;84040]

Not a "fact of life", but a fact none the less is that by rule, the other boat is required to contct the "stand on" boat and arrange for a safe pass.

We are talking about a pass in a narrow channel here, not a bay or harbor. Some boats do not have good vision from the helm to the rear. Without this required VHF or horn contact, the stand on boat may not know that there is about to be a pass and that he should not change course.

Time for mandatory boater education and licensing for all boaters.[/QUOTE]

Already so in many states...I taught it for 11 years...whistle signals aren't even really taught as there's not enough time in the course and radio use is barely mentioned.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
.......... You stop for dolphin??? You mean like those animals that ride your bow wake to perfection????
Yes I do if one is directly in front of the boat.

I also stop for dogs, cats, and other animals when driving on land. I'm not about killing or inflicting pain on other creatures without a reason to do so.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Yes I do if one is directly in front of the boat.

I also stop for dogs, cats, and other animals when driving on land. I'm not about killing or inflicting pain on other creatures without a reason to do so.
I'll post it again because this is so much fun!!!

You stop for dolphin??? You mean like those animals that ride your bow wake to perfection????