Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #41
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
The point is, the water is supposed to stay on the outside of the boat so unless it has sunk, there should be very little difference,

The exception would be an I/O (stern drive) but few trawlers have these.
__________________
Advertisement

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #42
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,678
Salt laden air can be as much of a problem as salt water.
__________________

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
yachtbrokerguy's Avatar


 
City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 469
taime1, the original poster should do some research on importing a boat into Canada that was not built in North America.
I cannot keep up with tax laws and customs duty everywhere but I thought that a Canadian will have to pay import duties to bring a Taiwanese built boat into the country, no import duty for US built.
There may also be some cost in measurement to register the boat in Canada so research that also.
Yes boats in Florida are priced less after being baked by the tropical sun and you may get a great deal but the cost to get to Canada may not save a lot of money.
__________________
Tucker Fallon CPYB
www.yachtbrokerguy.com
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
Veteran Member
 
City: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: 2004 MacGregor 26M, for now
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
taime1, the original poster should do some research on importing a boat into Canada that was not built in North America.
I cannot keep up with tax laws and customs duty everywhere but I thought that a Canadian will have to pay import duties to bring a Taiwanese built boat into the country, no import duty for US built.
There may also be some cost in measurement to register the boat in Canada so research that also.
Yes boats in Florida are priced less after being baked by the tropical sun and you may get a great deal but the cost to get to Canada may not save a lot of money.
For boats built outside the US, there is a duty of 9.5% of the purchase price. There is also about 14% in provincial and federal taxes - the provincial amount varies with the province of residence.

I also have to consider the difference in currency and the cost to convert the currency.

My last boat came from the US but was built in the US, is indeed a salty, and IIRC, the total cost differential, including the transportation fuel (just trailering overland myself), came to about 25%. I paid $17k US and it took a little over $21k CAN to get her home. The extra 9.5% duty might be a bit of a deal killer - depends on the boat, the deal and the "love factor" I guess.
taime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #45
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Slight hijack here.

If someone took a salty and moved it to fresh water, gave it a scrub up and bottom paint, could you really tell the difference anyway?
99.9% of the time it is very, very easy. Salt water boats sell for 20 - 25% less than fresh water boats here in Ontario.

Buying a Hurricane Boat

Marine Survey 101
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #46
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Salt laden air can be as much of a problem as salt water.

Sort of True; in that salt laden air is corrosive/detrimental primarily only on the outside of air positioned equipment, paint etc!

Whereas salt water affects air positioned equipment it comes into contact with as well as inside salt water filled apparatus and under boat on salt water submerged paraphernalia and boat bottom paint.

But, heck, if your boat is in salt laden air... must be in salt water too, far as I can figure!

Happy Boat Care daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #47
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
Salt air and salt water find its way into most parts of a boat that is used in salt water when there is high enough winds to create salt spray for sure...occasionally other times. If it doesn't you are one of the few that manage it well and do things to your boat that most don't bother with.

It's drawn into the engine room via vents and into any equipment blowing air like an alternator, inverter, battery charger (if they have fans).

Salt finds it's way in through your anchor rode /hawse, on your shoes, oil skins, blow in through open ports or doors if accidently open or being used.

Occasionally a leak in the engine room gets to the point where it gets thrown or sprayed around.

Salt water works it's way in eventually....every boat is different, used differently and taken care of differently...but it gets in.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #48
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
I stand further expanded! Re salt and its nasty ways.

While living in Maine the salt applied onto roads in winter ate vehicles alive! That with coastal air made for much salty effects!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #49
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,525
While living in Maine the salt applied onto roads in winter ate vehicles alive!

Cars are not designed or built for immersion in salt water boats are.

Tiny boars with OI suffer the most from having the drive gear immersed.

Any cruiser will have running gear built for being IN salt water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #50
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Sort of True; in that salt laden air is corrosive/detrimental primarily only on the outside of air positioned equipment, paint etc!

Whereas salt water affects air positioned equipment it comes into contact with as well as inside salt water filled apparatus and under boat on salt water submerged paraphernalia and boat bottom paint.

But, heck, if your boat is in salt laden air... must be in salt water too, far as I can figure!

Happy Boat Care daze! - Art
Have a look at the corrosion issues on an older seafront house. No direct salt water contact, but much faster corrosion of anything external, and often internal fittings as well.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #51
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 902
During that long cold year that I was a Yacht broker, I was pushing everything from Bayliners to Oceans. (The only trawler I every saw was mine). The Bayliners, after a few years on the Jersey coast, were just toast and no amount of work would bring back their finishes or brightwork. You have to keep up these boats. They don't come back.

One Trojan I was trying to sell was a real dump. Fished every week by a bunch of guys. Big tuna tower, out to the canyon every weekend, fish guts all over everything, no winter cover. I told the owner that I might be able to sell it if he cleaned it up. I got a lead and so I went out to check the boat after the same guys had cleaned it up. WOW! Good expensive boats really clean up nice. Gel coat was gleaming, the brightwork gleamed, the engine room shone and the uphostery was soft, supple and even smelled nice. It was a different boat. It sold. I saw this over and over.

When I went to Montreal, we were invited to stay at the Royal Yacht Club. Pulling into the slip next to us was a mid 1960's Chris-Craft 40 something foot express with those chrome dashboards that look like they are from a 1958 Chrysler. I've seen many of them up and down in the backwaters of marinas in New Jersey. They all look like ass. Well this one looked like the brochure. It was perfect. This boat had never seen salt water, snow, hail or frankly sunshine. All the boats there looked like that.
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #52
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
During that long cold year that I was a Yacht broker, I was pushing everything from Bayliners to Oceans. (The only trawler I every saw was mine). The Bayliners, after a few years on the Jersey coast, were just toast and no amount of work would bring back their finishes or brightwork. You have to keep up these boats. They don't come back.

One Trojan I was trying to sell was a real dump. Fished every week by a bunch of guys. Big tuna tower, out to the canyon every weekend, fish guts all over everything, no winter cover. I told the owner that I might be able to sell it if he cleaned it up. I got a lead and so I went out to check the boat after the same guys had cleaned it up. WOW! Good expensive boats really clean up nice. Gel coat was gleaming, the brightwork gleamed, the engine room shone and the uphostery was soft, supple and even smelled nice. It was a different boat. It sold. I saw this over and over.

When I went to Montreal, we were invited to stay at the Royal Yacht Club. Pulling into the slip next to us was a mid 1960's Chris-Craft 40 something foot express with those chrome dashboards that look like they are from a 1958 Chrysler. I've seen many of them up and down in the backwaters of marinas in New Jersey. They all look like ass. Well this one looked like the brochure. It was perfect. This boat had never seen salt water, snow, hail or frankly sunshine. All the boats there looked like that.
Are you serious????

Being a Bayliner owner I've seen some Bayliner Bashing, but this one is a first! Good job! I'm impressed!

Bayliners finishes are more susceptible to salt water corrosion? No amount of work will bring a Bayliner finish back?

Your comments are so incorrect I do not know where to start!

I wish I could be offended by your demonstrated lack of knowledge of the subject matter at hand, but it is so outlandish that I'm laughing too hard to type properly!
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #53
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by taime1 View Post
For boats built outside the US, there is a duty of 9.5% of the purchase price. There is also about 14% in provincial and federal taxes - the provincial amount varies with the province of residence.
Gee, there was a 1.5% U.S. import duty to bring my Chinese-built boat to California, and about an 8.5% use tax imposed by California. Shipping costs were about a one-third greater. Taxes and transportation were about one-fourth of the new boat's price, not counting import broker and insurance fees/costs.

First sea leg:

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #54
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
During that long cold year that I was a Yacht broker, I was pushing everything from Bayliners to Oceans. (The only trawler I every saw was mine). The Bayliners, after a few years on the Jersey coast, were just toast and no amount of work would bring back their finishes or brightwork. You have to keep up these boats. They don't come back.

One Trojan I was trying to sell was a real dump. Fished every week by a bunch of guys. Big tuna tower, out to the canyon every weekend, fish guts all over everything, no winter cover. I told the owner that I might be able to sell it if he cleaned it up. I got a lead and so I went out to check the boat after the same guys had cleaned it up. WOW! Good expensive boats really clean up nice. Gel coat was gleaming, the brightwork gleamed, the engine room shone and the uphostery was soft, supple and even smelled nice. It was a different boat. It sold. I saw this over and over.

When I went to Montreal, we were invited to stay at the Royal Yacht Club. Pulling into the slip next to us was a mid 1960's Chris-Craft 40 something foot express with those chrome dashboards that look like they are from a 1958 Chrysler. I've seen many of them up and down in the backwaters of marinas in New Jersey. They all look like ass. Well this one looked like the brochure. It was perfect. This boat had never seen salt water, snow, hail or frankly sunshine. All the boats there looked like that.
I think I take one more..
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #55
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Are you serious????

Being a Bayliner owner I've seen some Bayliner Bashing, but this one is a first! Good job! I'm impressed!

Bayliners finishes are more susceptible to salt water corrosion? No amount of work will bring a Bayliner finish back?

Your comments are so incorrect I do not know where to start!

I wish I could be offended by your demonstrated lack of knowledge of the subject matter at hand, but it is so outlandish that I'm laughing too hard to type properly!
You can't put anything on the Internet that's not true, right?

A friend has a Sea Ray and I commented that it was a Bayliner with upgraded appliances and upholstery. He didn't take my comment too well, but in truth, that's what it was. Same engine, same drive, etc.

Going back to the original post, if a "freshwater boat" is better than a "saltwater boat" (as if those were real terms), then the best boat is a new boat that's never seen water, followed by one that's been stored out of the water and seldom or never used.

If I was afraid my boat would fall apart in salt water, I wouldn't even own one. Being afraid of salt water severely limits your cruising destinations.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #56
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
A boat has less draft in saltwater as compared to freshwater.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #57
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A boat has less draft in saltwater as compared to freshwater.
Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #58
Veteran Member
 
City: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: 2004 MacGregor 26M, for now
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Gee, there was a 1.5% U.S. import duty to bring my Chinese-built boat to California, and about an 8.5% use tax imposed by California. Shipping costs were about a one-third greater. Taxes and transportation were about one-fourth of the new boat's price, not counting import broker and insurance fees/costs.
Yeah, after calculating/estimating taxes and fees, I figure that importing a US boat would add about 45% on the purchase price. That's quite a bit and it doesn't include any costs related to travel (to look at the boat), surveys, shipping (very pricey and involves pilot house surgery if going by truck), etc... Lots to think about, beyond the salt vs. fresh water.

People often think that if you have a boat, you have alot of money. I correct them by explaining that I have no money because I have a boat.

taime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #59
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
On the other hand, my Chinese-built boat cost about half of an equivalent U.S. boat.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Captain K's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 288
From previous comments I gather the assumption among posters, as you did not specify, is that the hull material you're looking for is GRP (aka fiberglass). If by some chance you're thinking wood, salt water does not rot wood. It actually pickles wood, so the older the better. Your concern there would be the condition of the fasteners, the more noble the better. I drive a 1978 GRP boat that's been in salt water its entire life. No problems with the hull or running gear. My previous boat, a sloop, was built in timber in the UK with bronze fasteners. She is still going strong after 85 years. You may want to consider taking your surveyor/relative's future comments with a grain of salt.
__________________

Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012