Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
House Boat Rental?

Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Eric
__________________
Advertisement

otis maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Eric
Lake Powell!! There are several firms at various locations. The ones at Bullfrog and Hall's Crossing are best situated. Page Az is also very active, but that end of the lake is less majestic.

It's been 30 years since I've done this, but I did it several times, and always had a good time.
__________________

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,280
Not sure you'll find a houseboat where 25+ people onboard would be enjoyable or safe. Three houseboats would be bettah.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,564
Absolutely Lake Powell. There are some huge houseboats there. The lake is awesome.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
You will definitely want multiple boats. In my experience, 6 or 8 folks per boat works. Might want to tow a ski boat also. Do you have any actual mariners in this group? Not necessary, but it will improve the collective experience if a couple people know what they are doing.

Just did a little cursory research, and it looks like all the marina/rental operations are now run by Aramark, the Park Service Mega-Concessionaire. Not sure how I feel about that.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,280
A 75-footer accommodates up to 16 people. Costs $7,000-$15,000 a week (plus other charges), depending on the season.

https://www.lakepowell.com/landing-p...useboat-rates/
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
helm's Avatar
 
City: Isleton
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 65
Lake Shasta, May Bueno
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by helm View Post
Lake Shasta, May Bueno
I live not far from Lake Shasta, drive by a few times a year, (usually on my way to a Giants game) and frankly the appeal is lost on me. The naked relatively steep rocky slopes between lake level and the tree line seem charmless. But someone must be renting all those houseboats!
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,696
Really two choices.

1-Lake Powell (or perhaps Shasta)

2-Cumberland Lake, Kentucky Lake, or Barkley Lake.

Both have beautiful scenery.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Lake Powell!! There are several firms at various locations. The ones at Bullfrog and Hall's Crossing are best situated. Page Az is also very active, but that end of the lake is less majestic.

It's been 30 years since I've done this, but I did it several times, and always had a good time.
I talked with a gentleman last year (before my nomination) who lived near Lake Powell he said it's crowded with jet skis and wake boards in the summer months. He also said it's really beautiful. So I will put that on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
You will definitely want multiple boats. In my experience, 6 or 8 folks per boat works. Might want to tow a ski boat also. Do you have any actual mariners in this group? Not necessary, but it will improve the collective experience if a couple people know what they are doing.

Just did a little cursory research, and it looks like all the marina/rental operations are now run by Aramark, the Park Service Mega-Concessionaire. Not sure how I feel about that.
Probably will have an extra boat the mid-westerners are big on bass fishing. I have experience on sail and power boats and have been boating the Puget Sound for 40 years (on and off). It would be nice to find more of a mom and pop operation but...

Thanks
otis maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Really two choices.

1-Lake Powell (or perhaps Shasta)

2-Cumberland Lake, Kentucky Lake, or Barkley Lake.

Both have beautiful scenery.
I like number 2 Cumberland Lake, Kentucky or Barkley Lake. Years ago we did a vacation somewhere back in the Tennessee/Kentucky area at a resort. The water system we were on was huge it had a couple dams on it and lots of coves, nooks and crannies. I'm putting that on the list, I should have paid attention to where I was!
otis maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: South Louisiana
Country: United States
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 82
We have rented a house boat on Lake Cumberland and absolutely loved it. Lake was not crowded at all and we went in the middle of July. We brought my boat with us. We would move the houseboat every few days and use my boat to explore the lake and tube.

This is not where we rented from but it we return we will rent from this marina.
https://www.statedock.com/
Let me know if you decide on Cumberland. I can give you some pointer on where to tie off for the night.
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
We have rented a house boat on Lake Cumberland and absolutely loved it. Lake was not crowded at all and we went in the middle of July. We brought my boat with us. We would move the houseboat every few days and use my boat to explore the lake and tube.

This is not where we rented from but it we return we will rent from this marina.
https://www.statedock.com/
Let me know if you decide on Cumberland. I can give you some pointer on where to tie off for the night.
Cumberland and even Kentucky will be far less crowded during the summer months than Lake Powell.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #14
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,707
Powell is fantastic, as I have written in the past its clean majestic, typically has very few bugs, no alligators or others that like to nibble. The scenery is varied for open flat plains to deep sandstone canyons. We last went at the first of June in 17 with 10 family members, I believe the boat was rated at 12. A ski boat is a must for water activities as flat water abounds.. and for sightseeing. August is typically the busiest.. but we have never found it so busy as to make it a issue.

Its a very magical place.
HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4818.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	80999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4783.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	81000  
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
Guru
 
RCook's Avatar


 
City: Holladay, UT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Powell is fantastic, as I have written in the past its clean majestic, typically has very few bugs, no alligators or others that like to nibble. The scenery is varied for open flat plains to deep sandstone canyons. We last went at the first of June in 17 with 10 family members, I believe the boat was rated at 12. A ski boat is a must for water activities as flat water abounds.. and for sightseeing. August is typically the busiest.. but we have never found it so busy as to make it a issue.

Its a very magical place.
HOLLYWOOD
We have cruised Lake Powell many times over 25 years, mostly in our trailer boats, but once in a houseboat. Our favorite times are May and September - too hot and crowded in mid summer.

Exploring in a small boat and hiking up the side canyons are delightful.
__________________
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37-065)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
. Our favorite times are May and September - too hot and crowded in mid summer.
+1 Important to remember, you are not only in the desert, you are in an enormous reflector oven.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,839
Another option is Shuswap Lake in B.C.

This place has houseboats that sleep up to 24 people.
https://www.twinanchors.com/
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Another option is Shuswap Lake in B.C.

This place has houseboats that sleep up to 24 people.
https://www.twinanchors.com/



The issue is B.C. stands for...


Bloody Cold





HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #19
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,839
When I was there last month the daily highs ranged from 28 to 40 Celsius. Thatís about 80-105 F.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #20
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by helm View Post
Lake Shasta, May Bueno
Ditto, if lake levels are normal. Everyone from the PNW can drive there. Pretty setting.
__________________

__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012