Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #21
City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Never heard of these Carbon Foam before. Just had 4 new AGM's delivered too!

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:48 AM   #22
TF Site Team
City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

An additional thought. Given your long generator runs to charge your batteries get a second charger so you can pump in more than 200 amps per hour when you ae running the generator.

Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:32 AM   #23
City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I think it was Twisted who reported very, very long charge times for those Rolls Surrettes. From memory that was the biggest surprise/disappointment. Probably ideal for an off the grid cabin with solar. Not so good for typical boat charging systems.

Take a look at the Odyssey PC 1800 battery. Ultra thin plate pure lead AGM. Like other AGM's they will take high charge rates so if you had a couple of the high output alternators then your engine run-times would probably get them most of the way, and evening genny run would take them to quite a high charge state. But, the PC 1800 form-factor may not suit your boxes, and you would need to parallel them.

I have 6 x PC1800's paralleled, and another 2 as start batteries. I may yet re-allocate the start ones to the house bank and use something else for starting. The PC1800's were bought in Port Townsend at the Shipwright's Co-Op who sell a lot of them and get a very good price on them. I don't think they are available in Australia though.

I run 2 x 200A Leece Nevilles on the engines and have seen 350A going into the batts. But temp rise will often limit charge rate closer to 200A. That is still a useful rate. I also have 1800W of solar and can get over 500 Ah per day from the panels. But I am at a much lower latitude than you are. If you install panels you might need to be able to tilt them rather than have them flat.

I try to move and run the mains in the early part of the day, and the solar panels then take over for absorption charging. My panels normally output 50-60 A to the bank.

I run a 3000W inverter for AC loads. I ditched 2 gennies during refit. My generator now is a Honda 2000. It can put 65A into the bank. I am about to buy a second one and the Honda parallel cable connector so I can max out my 120A charger, just for those cloudy days when my solar panels don't deliver for me.
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #24
Lets start at the source.

What are you powering that takes a daily load higher than most homes?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:50 AM   #25
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Kevin: I have heard some people have had difficulties with the Surette Rolls Batteries. Twisted Tree has commented on issues he had with Surette Rolls batteries and I am aware of someone with a KK42 that had charging issues as well. Apparently the charging parameters are different from other similar batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
I had a set of four big Rolls 8 volts as the main house bank on my boat and they were outstanding. Charged up perfectly using a "old fashion" Sentry charger and simple alternator.

If you go the two volt modular route, talk to their tech support and make sure you have the right charging system and parameters. I knew an extensive cruiser who had twelve years on his 2v and they were still going strong; best warranty I know of in the business as well.

If you are trying to stay at a certain weight, ultimately it is a zero sum game with batteries, as capacity is inevitably directly correspondent to weight. I went with the L16's because I had plenty of height available, so get more capacity in a smaller foot print while being very easy to check and service.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #26
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Kevin - I just started a thread yesterday on our experience with our new carbon foam batteries. Don't know if you saw it but here's the link to the video:

Pacific NW Boater - PRODUCTS - TESTED: Carbon Foam Batteries
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post

I think I'm ready to be all over those Carbon Foam batteries... once (if) they eventually introduce 6V "golf cart" models.

Several folks (here, I think, and on CF) mentioned that to Bruce a year or so ago...

Our oldest AGM bank (3x Odyssey Group 31 PC-2150s) is entering its 11th season; not sure Firefly is gonna get something like that to market, at least in time for our replacement when it really becomes necessary...

South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #27
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
You probably saved many dollars.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #28
City: Bass Harbor
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
If cost is really not a concern, go with lithium batteries. You can install much more capacity in the same space. They also charge MUCH faster than any lead/acid battery, which will allow you to decrease you generator run times, although you may need to upgrade you generator/charger to achieve the higher charge rates. You will need to replace you charger since lithium batteries require special chargers. If you combine a lithium battery bank with a big solar array, you will have a great installation.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote