Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Dunno why you would go that route. If you want an inverter and a charger just get a Magnum all in one. Magnum is at least the quality of the Charles. Coincidently, I have both on my boat!!!
I'm not a big fan of combo anything. Read recently that there were problems with one manufacturer(don't think it was Magnum) that a problem occurred disabling both functions. While I realize space could be an issue, I am a KISS kind of person. One unit = one function. Troubleshooting seems to be much easier, still retain second function, etc. Costs are increased, as well as expensive real estate, but that is the price I am willing to pay. But that is me, not everyone.

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #42
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Not sure a separate 130 amp charger and a 3000 watt inverter are simpler or cheaper than a combo unit. Then there is the space factor. Granted there are some brands of combo units that are crummy, but some if not most are very good.

My take is the quality and good design of the overall install or lack thereof creates most of the issues we encounter. Plus, there are so many ways to do an inverter combo or separate setup correctly, no best way IMHO.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote