Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
PCoch's Avatar
 
City: Baltimore
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Legacy
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/ Tradewinds
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Hour Meters

One of the two meters for my Cummins 6BT-5.9M engines does not work. Is anyone familiar with where the meter gets its signal? And, is it possible to advance the non-working one to more closely reflect actual hours if I can get it working again?

Thanks

Paul
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Paul C
1990 43' Marine Trader Tradewinds
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,339
If it's the common in the tachometer type, it's powered by the ignition switch I believe. If you can fix it, you should be able to apply power to the tachometer to advance the hour meter. I've had 2 of those die in Cummins tachometers and think they are of poor quality. Have stand alone hour meters on my boats now. They're tied to the ignition switch and can be advanced by connecting to a battery for the winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1393.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	55988

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1392.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	55989

Ted
__________________

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,942
Depends on your installation.
Some older installations are connected to the tachometer in such a way as to count revolutions, so the meter reading is a theoretical one, based on WOT hours, not on time.
Most are just powered by the ignition switch, so count time the switch is in the "on" position.
Use a multimeter on the existing hour meter to see where it gets power and connect a new one the same way.
If tying into the ignition circuit, you need to be in the habit of leaving it off, otherwise you record hours that the engine was not running at all. (that explains how my Port engine hours climbed past my Stb engine without either being in use)
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 958
Not sure what you have. Maybe this helps.
http://www.odometergears.com/howto/H..._To_Repair.pdf
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
PCoch's Avatar
 
City: Baltimore
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Legacy
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/ Tradewinds
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Depends on your installation.
Some older installations are connected to the tachometer in such a way as to count revolutions, so the meter reading is a theoretical one, based on WOT hours, not on time.
Most are just powered by the ignition switch, so count time the switch is in the "on" position.
Use a multimeter on the existing hour meter to see where it gets power and connect a new one the same way.
If tying into the ignition circuit, you need to be in the habit of leaving it off, otherwise you record hours that the engine was not running at all. (that explains how my Port engine hours climbed past my Stb engine without either being in use)
Thanks - it's actually internal to the tach. The back of the unit has about 8 electrical connections on it - some for backlighting, powering the tach, etc.
__________________
Paul C
1990 43' Marine Trader Tradewinds
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member
 
PCoch's Avatar
 
City: Baltimore
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Legacy
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/ Tradewinds
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If it's the common in the tachometer type, it's powered by the ignition switch I believe. If you can fix it, you should be able to apply power to the tachometer to advance the hour meter. I've had 2 of those die in Cummins tachometers and think they are of poor quality. Have stand alone hour meters on my boats now. They're tied to the ignition switch and can be advanced by connecting to a battery for the winter.

Attachment 55988

Attachment 55989

Ted
Did you try to repair?
__________________
Paul C
1990 43' Marine Trader Tradewinds
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
PCoch's Avatar
 
City: Baltimore
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Legacy
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/ Tradewinds
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Not sure what you have. Maybe this helps.
http://www.odometergears.com/howto/H..._To_Repair.pdf
Thanks - will give it a try.
__________________
Paul C
1990 43' Marine Trader Tradewinds
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCoch View Post
Did you try to repair?
I had an electronics guy play with it, no success. he did the simple checks and said it would be cheaper to pic up a used tach if it was that important. I choose the $20 solution.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,300
The VDO tach with digital hourmeters SUCK. Mine is dying. Just get a stand alone meter and wire it up.

Mine reads hours when ign is on, but clock does not advance unless tach is picking up a signal. That is a nice feature. If it would friggin WORK.

I bought a new DATCON meter and set it up on a battery to advance hours. It died in the process.

My gen hour meter sometimes clocks two hours during an overnight run.

Stupid hour meters.

Rant over. I'm starting to sound like FF and generators. I'll shut up now.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I bought a new DATCON meter and set it up on a battery to advance hours. It died in the process.

My gen hour meter sometimes clocks two hours during an overnight run.

Stupid hour meters.
Buy an ENM Hour Meter. Unit is sealed and just works. Have over 1,000 hours on the one in the charter boat. It sees some vibration and occasionally gets bounced around in the ocean.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 958
Great Lake Skipper has a big selection of tachs and hour meters.
Search results for: 'tachometer' | Great Lakes Skipper
__________________

__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012