Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Horrifying Experience

Yesterday while cruising south to FL from CT I had the most frightening boating experience I have ever had in 53 years of boating and boat ownership. I was in FL and had just crossed the St. John's river southbound. I entered the continuation of the ICW at Pablo Creek. The current was against me at a pretty good clip. Ahead was a fixed bridge, the Wonderwood Expressway Bridge.

A construction barge was anchored under the bridge blocking about 50% of the clearance through the bridge. A small bowrider was coming through the bridge with the current and I gave it the right of way. The current through the bridge was intensified by the barge blocking half of the clearance. A no wake sign was posted. That bowrider almost flipped over as the current shot it through like a cannon ball. It was a miracle that the passengers weren't ejected. A heart stopping experience. But wait, there's more.

Now it was my turn. I proceeded against ththe current at a slow pace. Almost immediately my bow was thrown toward the barge. I reacted without even thinking about what I was doing. In seconds I was about to hit the barge. I spun the wheel, applied power and the bow swung toward the bridge fender. I spun the wheel the other way and cut the power. I got hit from behind by my own wake and was accelerated through the bridge.

I hit nothing but in my mind I was hitting everything. I know that Neptune smiled upon me. It took me quite awhile to feel normal again. About a half hour later the CG broadcast a warning of hazardous conditions at that bridge. I will never forget this event, not ever.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Congrats that you made it through!! Pucker much???

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dang, Howard. Talk about pucker factor. I won’t forget that situation on my way up the ICW.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I still can't unpucker.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Guru

Glad you got through it. Scary, sounds like it would be no picnic even without the barge.
Bridges are often at narrow points, and tide rushes through. Check how the water behaves around the leading pylon edges.
I learnt at one bridge I pass through regularly(Brooklyn Railway Bridge) to always have a hand on the throttle levers.I do it at pretty much all bridges with pylons (though not the Sydney Harbor Bridge).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Not the Wonderwood, but the Atlantic Blvd Bridge. The current through there is very brisk all year, but even more so because of the barge that is there rebuilding the fenders.

We went through there a couple of times last week on our way to lunch in the little RIB. It was ripping.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Thanks for sharing that story Howard, glad you made it unscathed. Poseidon was on your side this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #8

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Scary stuff Howard. Glad all is well. Thanks for sharing.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Itís comforting how well our instincts and experience serve us in a situation where we donít have time to think. Congratulations on great helmsmanship. I hope I can do as well if Iím ever in a similar situation.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
No worse feeling than when a current grabs hold of you, seeming like a giant hand is underwater but in control. Always good to come away with no damage, but not easily forgotten, that's for sure!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #11
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Bridges end up being far scarier than one would think. It's always either too much power or not enough. I tend to do as you did, going from one extreme to the other in 5 heart stopping seconds.

The oceans is far easier
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I had a similar experience coming into the marina at Bald Head Island, NC. Narrow channel with rocks and bulkheads on both side. Entrance faces Cape Fear River that can get sea swell and wakes from ships and other craft. At least no current.

So I am coming in and no traffic, some swell coming in. Running about 6.5kts/800rpm. All ok. Then a swell came in behind me and picked up the stern, surfing me, and towards one wall. No rudder control. I swung the rudder over and hammered the power. Got boat away from one wall, only to aim at the other. Had to chop power, swing rudder and hammer the power again. Got it back on center, did not hit. But scared the cr@p out of me as I was basically out of control.

I have 6.5turns lock to lock and that hinders fast rudder response. High on my list is to modify the steering system to maybe 4turns. I also have electric-over-hydraulic power steering which sounds great (and works great) but it has a downside. It is only but so fast. If you try to turn the wheel faster than it can pump, you are not going to go any faster.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Gee, Howard, what a harrowing experience. When the tide is running at full chat this is always a place to watch carefully. I can only imagine what the barge would do to the current pattern. Take a nice long unpuckering break at St. Augustine. Good to see that you have made it into the Sunshine State.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Welcome to the Soiled Shorts Club. I remember on our first year of cruising coming out of a side channel where the ICW intersected a river on the ebb, somewhere in SC IIRC (have to go look in the log). I was positively sure I was going to directly ram a day marker right at the intersection corner. How I missed it I still don't know, lucky set of reactions I guess, or the intervention, a la Maradona, of The Hand of God.

A few others scary but avoided due to more experience for the particular situation, like the guy in a Viking coming down the New River in Ft. Lauderdale, there by the "Benihana House" turn who lost an engine and made a hard turn right in front of me, I can still visualize the Hatteras 58 LRC docked behind me on my starboard quarter that I came within a few feet of as I slammed into reverse after coming within feet of the Viking, whose captain also joined the Club but did a good job of not hitting anyone. For those of you have never been up there, fairly narrow channel with boats docked on both sides and all kinds of very big and small traffic.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Well Howard you must have been grand entertainment for the good ole boys on the barge.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
They were probably not entertained much when he was bearing down on them......

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
We went through last week. No traffic but us. Four knots or better current against us. We crept through at about 3.5 knots over ground.
Gordon J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Well Howard you must have been grand entertainment for the good ole boys on the barge.
If contact had been made between Howard's FG boat and the deck barge, they probably wouldn't notice unless they were looking.

Appreciate the story and the candor, Howard. It will may help somebody out sometime - like me.

Flying Magazine used to (may still) run articles called "I learned about flying from that" - first hand, drop your drawers recounts of situations and recoveries (sometimes non-recoveries) of everything from weather, mechanical failure, and most often pilot error.

I wonder if TF members could generate enough interest to support a long term thread (think Interesting Boats) on the subject?
sbu22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #19

City: North Carolina
Vessel Model: "Between boats....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
If contact had been made between Howard's FG boat and the deck barge, they probably wouldn't notice unless they were looking.

Appreciate the story and the candor, Howard. It will may help somebody out sometime - like me.

Flying Magazine used to (may still) run articles called "I learned about flying from that" - first hand, drop your drawers recounts of situations and recoveries (sometimes non-recoveries) of everything from weather, mechanical failure, and most often pilot error.

I wonder if TF members could generate enough interest to support a long term thread (think Interesting Boats) on the subject?
I'd have plenty of fodder for that one!!
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I might time a nice run from the St Johns to St Augustine offshore rather than deal with that.

Maybe pick up a nice dorado for dinner along the way....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote