Honeymoon on the Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We spent over 400 days on our loop. If your going a week at a time, you’ll be a while

Plan, enjoy and be safe, it’s worth it.

Last edited:
Assuming you make a quick shakedown before you depart for the honeymoon cruise I say go for it. We did 37 years ago and still married. That said in my latest new to me trawler- a GB-36 it took us a few months to get the - need to fix before we cruise stuff fixed. ( as much as it ever is )

Those hating Volvos are quick to post in this forum. Those hating Volvo's poor support seem to have "legacy" engines, whatever that particular description means.

Your TAMD41s are designed in the 80s and generally in boats built from the late 80s to the late 90s. Newer engines are designed in the 90s and more recently and responsive to newer EPA rules, mostly the rules for OTR trucks. Volvo now dominates that market, and, as mentioned above, the pod drive boat market. The newer designs have to produce exhaust that has little but water vapour in it, so smoke is a thing of the past.

I have a pair of TAMD41s that I bought used in 2000 and put into my 1980 trawler that came with TMD40s. The difference in design year is significant.

You shouldn't shy away from TAMD41s, but you should have an experienced mechanic look at whatever engines are in the boat you select, before making your choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom