Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As far as tech schools.....

When I worked at a big boat dealership...most of the techs there said the tech schools were not producing much more than a kid off the street with a few years under their belt at any marina that did a breadth of work.

Their complaints were many of the tech schools in the area were not getting late model engines to work on and were better off going off to a factory school and getting the several week intense training on late models. The techs that weren't mechs said the overview of all the rests of the systems, painting and glassing were mostly talked about rather than hands on...and done in nice shops and not always out in the field/docks where there work is often done.

This was 15 years ago when many of the schools were really just getting started/rolling. Maybe some have gotten a lot better, but I can see many trapped in the same vicious cycle that was described to me.

So whether you get your start on a couple years of grunt work or getting a tech diploma....it will only take a week or two before the yard manager figures out what you really know and can do.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post

Yes, there are lawyers who get disbarred, and for good reasons, most frequently due to their dishonesty. Those numbers are remarkably low. All lawyers are called to the bar and swear an oath to be honest in all of their dealings with their clients, the public at large, other lawyers, the courts. That is a big responsibility and is taken very seriously by each and every one of us. Our livelihood, our family's economic survival, and not least, our reputation, all depend on that honesty.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll shut up now.
I hear you. Then I look to Washington DC, to the government, to the House , Senate and the White House. The vast majority of people holding higher office are lawyers. As a group (politicians), they are some of the most dishonest, morally bankrupt people.

Sorry, there are a lot of bad ones and the Bar only addresses some of the most flagrant offenders. For the common man, taking a lawyer to court is a losing proposition, so sadly most bad ones never have to answer for their deeds. That being said, the vast majority of lawyers are good. They're just not good at weeding the trash out of their own profession.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
As a group (politicians), they are some of the most dishonest, morally bankrupt people.
Ted
I don't choose to judge any people as a group. I personally know some extremely good people who are politicians. Actually I know one very fine gentleman who has family wealth so no reason to be swayed by money from any sources and is in politics because he thinks he can make a difference. Unfortunately, I don't share his political views but he does have my respect.

I know lawyers who are incredible people and work very hard for their clients.

I'm sure there are those who have poor views of boaters, of perhaps dive captains, of any group any of us might be a part of.

I don't like judging people by what group they belong to, by their occupation, or by any other characteristics.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While I respect your opinion the honest good politicians in Washington DC are clearly a very small minority.

For the record, there are some really bad dive boat captains.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I respect your opinion the honest good politicians in Washington DC are clearly a very small minority.

For the record, there are some really bad dive boat captains.

Ted
Well, I figure just looking at competence in any profession, half are in the bottom 50%. Then looking at integrity, I'm not even going to make a guess. I lived long enough in the business world to see it all and was just very fortunate to be in a company that did things the right way. I did always feel like we were in the minority whether that's really the case or not.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote