Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

City: Longboat Key
Honda 30amp Compani

Would 2 of these work like 2x30 shore power to create 50 amps or would there be phase issues
Thank you
Chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The Honda Companion 2000 or 2200 produces 13 or 15 amps continuously. Two can be connected in parallel with a 30 cord to produce 26 or 30 amps single phase continuously.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

My ignorance is coming out, my boat is 50amp service, I never use anywhere near that much and I have the dual 30 amp connector cord , so how would that work?
Thanks for your help
Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
First thing to determine is whether you have any 220-240 VAC appliances or equipment (it's unlikely, but you want to make sure).

There is a shore power cord adapter that converts your 50 amp 250 volt cord plug into a single 125 volt 30 amp plug. That should connect directly to the generator. How the two generators are wired together should be explained in the owner's manual which you should be able to download from the Honda website.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

My boat is all 240 except for the 120 outlets
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris71 View Post
Are you sure?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the make, model, length, and was it setup for European service.

Ted
Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #7

Don’t mind as you are helping me, it is a Pursuit 365I and they use a 240 volt concept, from the a/c to the battery chargers
Old 02-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:

Two Honda Companions will not supply 240V AC. I don't know of any small inverter generators that can supply 240V either by themselves or hooked to another one.

I agree with O C Diver, it would be unusual for an American built boat to be rigged for almost all 240V. Lots of marinas don't have 50A 240V AC service. Some may have two 30A service nearby on different legs that can be combined to produce 30A 240V but not all.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Don’t mind as you are helping me, it is a Pursuit 365I and they use a 240 volt concept, from the a/c to the battery chargers
I don't know how much you know about electrical wiring on boats and don't mean to question your knowledge, but:

It's very common for boats to have 240 VAC power to the boat's breaker panel. The service includes 2 hot wires (120 VAC), a neutral, and a ground. An appliance that uses 240 volts is connected to both hot wires and would have a double pole breaker on the panel. Appliances, outlets, lights and other devices that are 120 VAC will use a single hot wire, the neutral, and have a single pole breaker on the panel. While your boat may have a 240 VAC breaker panel (referencing the shore power voltage), it probably uses only 120 VAC individual circuit breakers.

If you would, please take a picture of the breaker panel and post it to this thread. Please make the panel as large as possible in the picture.

Ted
Old 02-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I will chip in.

What voltage rating shows on your equipment, specifically. Some equipment these days can be designed to operate properly on a wide range of voltage and Hz. Chargers, inverters, etc. This way the boat mfgr. can get around the old problems of; do they wire for North America or wire for Europe and it is a big, expensive problem.

Plus the equipment builders can avoid the same headaches, built only for Europe or N.A. or build so it can do both without modifications or different designs.

That does NOT mean the boat was wired to operate on 240V only. 240V is split into two phases [not exactly the correct term'] to give us two 120V sides.

A 240V only system would have only three wires or contacts on the cord ends; 2 hots and a ground/earth.

A 240/120V system would have 4 wires; two hots, a neutral, a ground/earth.

Can you tell us what MAIN cord you have , a photograph, a good clear one.

The fact that you do indeed have 120V outlets would indicate you may have a 240/120 v system but that does not mean that the boat must be supplied with 240 only.

You may only need splitters or 'Ys' as suggested. But you won't get 50A

Nor does it mean that the equipment must have only 240V.

And NO, two parallel Hondas will not provide 240V. If you try to wire them in a manner to get around that you will damage them. The HZ phasing MUST BE EXACT or one of them will turn into a short circuit to the other damaging one or both and maybe some other equipment.

You may need to find out from the boat builder exactly what you have and not guess or this could get expensive and maybe damaging. Or get a marine electrician to look over what you have if the boat builder is no longer in existence.

I'm not trying to be difficult or insulting but it seems like you don't know enough to give enough information to safely sort this out from what I am reading. That could be expensive and/or dangerous.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'm looking to solve the same issue.

There ARE a few 240 only boats out there. The Mainship 400 is one, which I have.
The input is 240/50 which is the ONLY power source it will take. It goes thru a transformer and then supplies power to the charger and the panel. The panel is a 240/110 set up.

Most of the appliances are 240v. The Charger, AC, Stove, Grill, pumps and water heater. There are also 110v outlets for the 110v appliances.... coffee, micro, blender, etc.

I wish I had a simple way to just keep the batteries topped off while at my dock (which only has 1130/30).

A generator doesn't make a lot of sense... I have one on the boat, but don't want to run it daily.

I could rig up an additional supply line straight to the batteries, get another charger (but would need a smart one), and keep the batteries topped.

I could just wire a new shore power line, but can be rather expensive. Not sure what the cost would be but probably north of $2000.

Thinking of solar, still at least $1000, but also would give portable power on the hook.

====

Let's keep this thread going, perhaps we'll both find a good solution.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Guru

Ok, understood. The builders didn't make it easy did they?

So maybe Chris71 has the same system and problem.

As you say nothing some changes couldn't fix but it likely would be a few bucks.

However what I suggested for him may also stand. Get a marine electrician involved as a misunderstanding and the resultant errors could be both expensive and dangerous.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Ok, understood. The builders didn't make it easy did they?

So maybe Chris71 has the same system and problem.

As you say nothing some changes couldn't fix but it likely would be a few bucks.

However what I suggested for him may also stand. Get a marine electrician involved as a misunderstanding and the resultant errors could be both expensive and dangerous.
C,
Builders often build things that are not user friendly. I which I could just plug in a single 110/30a plug and charge the batteries, like I could with all the other boats I've had.

And, yes, if one is not positive about an electrical install, it makes sense to hire an expert.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: Northport
Do you have an owners manual and/or specific schematics supplied for your boat?

http://www.pursuitboats.com/Owners_M.../DC325(D9).pdf

It appears that Pursuit does have good documentation and that these boats were typically supplied with the more standard 30/120 unless ordered differently.
Securing your boats actual wiring setup will likely lead to a more simple way to add a 30/120 line with the appropriate lockouts.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Guru

Yes, I can think of several ways of dealing with this now that I understand , or so I think, what he has. But over the internet is a disaster waiting to happen since even a minor misunderstanding could be dangerous.

Chris 71 ,

Pursuit is still in business so it would appear. Contact them and as Smitty477 suggested get them involved for a wiring diagram which will help an electrician if you go that route. Pursuit may already have a solution.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Two Honda Companions will not supply 240V AC. I don't know of any small inverter generators that can supply 240V either by themselves or hooked to another one.

I agree with O C Diver, it would be unusual for an American built boat to be rigged for almost all 240V. Lots of marinas don't have 50A 240V AC service. Some may have two 30A service nearby on different legs that can be combined to produce 30A 240V but not all.

David
Good point, but FWIW, I found very few marinas on my recent loop trip that couldn't provide 2 30s (out of phase to work), or one 50a service. However, smaller marinas are more limited.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #17

Boat is a 365I and manual is here

http://www.pursuitboats.com/Owners_M...SC365i(Z6).pdf
Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #18

Panel pic

Please pardon me if I screw up, I think I have the panel pic and it came from the 4 section of the owners manual previously shown
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #19

240/120 panel

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
C732E61F-D996-45C8-9B81-B18091980B85.jpg  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Appears to be a new boat - not even fully past warrantee maybe.
The dealer appears to be nearby.
Why not ask the dealer what options they recommend utilizing 30/120 other then what is in section 4.7 of the manual?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote