Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

City: Salem, Oregon
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Home Depot inverter?

Why shouldn't I purchase a 2500 watt puresine inverter from Home Depot for $549 with 3 year warranty?? My Westerbeke 7.7 kw genset died and I can't afford a replacement. I have a 2200 watt puresine Honda knockoff that works great but isn't enough for my ac fridge. Just looking to power the fridge and maybe an ice maker.. I have a bank of 6 trojan t105s and 390 watts of solar panels.. Living on the mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor.. Gradually restoring my Formosa 42 trawler after a few years of neglect and Hurricane Irma damage.. Not to mention the damage my recent rat caused.. Ate through lots of stuff. Replacing the entire freshwater plumbing at the moment sans tanks which he didn't get to.... Thanks for your thoughts!

Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I saw for $400 a 3000 pure sine wave inverter 12vdc to 120ac.
I have bought from this company and indeed have their 1200 pure sine wave inverter aboard Seaweed

Website http://theinverterstore.com

Good luck. And pay extra for the remote. You won't be sorry.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Inverter is good idea. It will run down the battery unike the gen and may not start high amp induction motors, that is my experience. I have a working gen, I added 2 inverters, one mostly just for the PC, runs off a modified UPS, other just because I did not want to always run the gen, but eventually I turn on the gen if the house batteries get to 12.2 vdc
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
I wouldn't say an inverter is a replacement for a generator, especially a 7kW gen, but I'll admit we bought a 3kW sinewave inverter off of ebay for less than $350, remote control included. It does what we want it to do,namely coffee in the AM, microwave warmups, small household & kitchen appliances & occasional TV. If we had a genny ,which we don't, we would still have the same inverter setup we have now, just for the convenience.

https://shawnandlizboats.blogspot.com/
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
An inverter doesn’t create energy tho, it converts it. Won’t you need a source to create the energy to put into batteries for the inverter to convert to 110?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
An inverter doesn’t create energy tho, it converts it. Won’t you need a source to create the energy to put into batteries for the inverter to convert to 110?
It converts it at a rather expensive loss IMHO. I have a 2k inverter. It is connected to the AppleTV, TV and coffee maker. I use a percolator for coffee. The coffee maker remains installed until I can find a matching cabinet door to re-install and revert back to a cabinet for storage again.

Streaming Game of Thrones while on the anchor is nice though.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I find that while underway, I just leave the inverter on. The engine alternators charge the batteries. And only thing so far I can not run is the AC, and my pool pump used to pump salt water for rinsing things.

HDTV receiving signals OTA does not work when the boat moves, this is due to how they designed the system, and ATSC overall is poorly designed.

If I start my gen, a relay disconnects the inverter from all the AC wiring. I designed it to do that anytime I turn gen on before it has cranked up and runs. Circuits energize ahead of the gen start sequence in all gens. This way AC power from another source can not ever mix together.

Basically DC power coming on with the run switch in the gen clicks on a small cube relay which disconnects the output power relay for the inverter. Relays are very useful.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
AT34. Hmmm, I have one main inverter. It is only 1500watts. With load management, I can use the 1200 watt microwave or make a pot of coffee and the 2 AC outlet on the starboard side of the galley. I have 2 other inverters onboard, a 300 and 400 watt inverters. They support the saloon TV and stateroom TV plus one outlet on the port side of the saloon and one outlet on the starboard stateroom. I have two solar panels on the pilot house roof, 2X130. When away from the boat and the shore power mysteriously becomes disconnected, the solar panels keep the batteries alive supporting the bilge pumps alive (if needed) and the 12 vt fridge cold.

When I leave the boat for an extended period of time I shut dow all the inverters.
I have installed the 3rd 200 amp house battery.

So when choosing an inverter remember size counts. I would recommend a minimum 2000 watt inverter plus a couple extra small inverters to run the TV and a computer or cell phone charging station.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would consider installing a new soft-start capacitor on the AC to allow your pseudo-Honda to operate the AC. Don't know the particulars of your systems but many find it works with a REAL Honda eu2000i.

If that fails, your plan sounds feasible. With your house bank and solar, plus the generator as a backup, you should do OK.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
DDW

City: San Francisco
If you are using an inverter turned on full time for refrigeration or other things, there is one important spec that is often overlooked: idle current. This is the current drawn by the inverter even when it is supplying no power to anything. The figure varies widely among different brands and models. Some of the worst draw 3 amps or more. That's 72 AH just to keep the thing warm (and warm it will be). The best of them will draw a bit over 1/2 an amp. If your refrigerator cycles half the time on, the other half the time a bad inverter will be drawing 3 amps doing nothing. Many inverters have a power saving "search" mode which attempts to determine if there is a load asking for power, and only begins inverting when it sees that load. Sometimes this can work well, often not.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Sine wave style inverters are needed to operate big draw electric motors.

Microwaves , fridges and other items are usually happy with square wave power .

About 1/2 the cost of a sine wave.

2000‑Watt Power Inverter with 4 ...$146.04
Home Depot
25% price drop
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
HDTV receiving signals OTA does not work when the boat moves, this is due to how they designed the system, and ATSC overall is poorly designed.
That's an interesting comment. We have an inverter and can power the TV with it... but then I'm usually on the bridge driving... with the TV in the saloon off.

It'd be easy for us to be moving out of range of a broadcast station, and of course that would mean the signal would disappear... but within range, I'd have thought the OTA signal would be fine...

-Chris
Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #13

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That's an interesting comment. We have an inverter and can power the TV with it... but then I'm usually on the bridge driving... with the TV in the saloon off.

It'd be easy for us to be moving out of range of a broadcast station, and of course that would mean the signal would disappear... but within range, I'd have thought the OTA signal would be fine...

-Chris
I agree. Not sure what was meant by that comment either. Not that we watch TV a lot while underway & not that we're going all that fast when we do but we've never experienced a loss of reception while underway if we're in an area where there is a decent signal. I know the commercial fishing fleet here on the bay watch OTA television while underway @ 12knots or so & they don't have an issue.
But I digress. That.s for another discussion. This one is about inverters!

https://shawnandlizboats.blogspot.com/
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
It is as far as I know.....we often have on air TV for everything from weather to favorite shows all the way from NJ to FL.

Not sure all channels are HDTV.....but my guess all thebig stations are???

Some places are thin, but places like the Chesapeake, near Charleston/Savannah, and much of Florida have good signals underway till out of reach of the station.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
Guru

Most TVs have the "auto tune" feature so, if you run out of stations in your travels, just do the auto tune and you have all new stations without any hassle.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Weren't we talking about inverters?
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Most TVs have the "auto tune" feature so, if you run out of stations in your travels, just do the auto tune and you have all new stations without any hassle.
Only if stations are in range...not so much if in Southern Georgia or distant from stations and blocked by terrain... althoght with a decent amplifier I am suprised how many places you can get over the air TV.

Bigfish.....are you talking tabletop icemaker or built in? My tabletop icemaker ran fine on a non-sinewave inverter...but hard to tell if your fridge will like one.

Home Depot stuff isnt usually either the better or least expensive.....lots of stuff coming out of the web based discount solar places....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
DDW

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Sine wave style inverters are needed to operate big draw electric motors.

Microwaves , fridges and other items are usually happy with square wave power .

About 1/2 the cost of a sine wave.
Motors are usually pretty happy on square wave. Universal motors are happy on no wave at all. Microwaves can be pretty unhappy on square wave, putting out about half the power and heating the power supply and magnetron with the difference. Also anything with a switching power supply (like most modern electronics) can be pretty unhappy - it will work, but the power supply will heat significantly more, while producing significantly less power.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We just moved the boat 20 miles today, had rock solid HD OTA reception all the way.

Sorry for digression... what was the topic again?

-Chris
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
Guru

The original topic was inverters.